Novels in the PE universe

Greetings to all of you!

My first post here, I really like what I see about PE and being excited to see more and the final game of course.

But that's not the topic.

I was wondering if there is any possibility that some novels come out which take place in the PE universe?

Not necessarily connected to the story in the game. 

I'm reading lot's of fantasy books especially the "Forgotten Realms" stuff.

I'm sure it would be fun to read stories from PE, gathering information about the setting and play the game.

What do you think?

Cheers!

It seems to me that novels come from either successful pen-and-paper systems, or otherwise largely successful video games like Halo, Mass Effect, etc.

Since PoE is Obsidian's own IP and not a publisher's, I guess that if the story is interesting enough, the game is successful, and Obsidian grants ample creative licence to writers - both in narrative (room for expansion) and legal practice - some writers may take a crack at it.

Avellone will be writing a novella for the setting, which was included in the $50+ tiers for the Kickstarter. I'd imagine It'll probably be released as an add-on as well.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

It seems to me that novels come from either successful pen-and-paper systems, or otherwise largely successful video games like Halo, Mass Effect, etc.

Since PoE is Obsidian's own IP and not a publisher's, I guess that if the story is interesting enough, the game is successful, and Obsidian grants ample creative licence to writers - both in narrative (room for expansion) and legal practice - some writers may take a crack at it.

That's, of course, all correct what you are saying.

I was curious if other people here in general are interested in reading a novel like that.

Would be interesting to know if that is something Obsidian would be interested in as well.

Someone would approach writes in that case or are the writes the once who ask to IP owners? Don't know how this business usually works.

A novella is good start, I saw that, it's pdf only which I personally don't like to read, but it makes sense, since they don't need to spend money on printing.

I didn't know Chris Avellone is a writer as well, in that case he could take care of that himself, but probably will be more busy with designing games.

What do I think? Read Dunsany,'s Sword of Welleran, Howard's Kull, Conan and Solomon Kane stories, Clark Ashton Smith's Zothique, Jack Vance's Lyonesse, Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun, Fritz Lieber' Lankhmar books, E.R. Eddison's Worm Ouroboros and Michael Moorc.ock's Corum Novels instead. You're life will be better for it.

What do I think? Read Dunsany,'s Sword of Welleran, Howard's Kull, Conan and Solomon Kane stories, Clark Ashton Smith's Zothique, Jack Vance's Lyonesse, Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun, Fritz Lieber' Lankhmar books, E.R. Eddison's Worm Ouroboros and Michael Moorc.ock's Corum Novels instead. You're life will be better for it.

Thanks for the advice how to improve my life :)

Just to clarify, will my life be better if I read all this books and not any in the PE universe or can I add them?

Lyonesse I read actually, the others I do not know, but will check them.

First the game has to convince me that the setting is good enough for me to warrant any effort on reading books set therein.

Besides, how is an author to know how the setting really feels like before the game is released? Authors writing novels without really knowing the world they write about have a fair chance to end up writing stuff like the Baldur's Gate novel.

But seriously. Life is too short for bad fiction. There are soooooo many good books out there and so little time. It pains me in "that-middle-part-of-my-chest-where-my-heart-would-be-if-I-had-one" when I hear people talking about reading setting fiction like Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, etc.

Don't get me wrong, when I was 13 or 14 I read my share of horrendous Bob Salvatore tripe, so nobody's perfect.

But seriously. Life is too short for bad fiction. There are soooooo many good books out there and so little time. It pains me in "that-middle-part-of-my-chest-where-my-heart-would-be-if-I-had-one" when I hear people talking about reading setting fiction like Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, etc.

Don't get me wrong, when I was 13 or 14 I read my share of horrendous Bob Salvatore tripe, so nobody's perfect.

For me that are good books.

I'm well aware that this is not the pinnacle of literature. ;) It's just easy entertainment while riding the train.

I read Tad Williams and Wolfgang Hohlbein as well has some others I don't remember, not sure if they are considered as "not good" as well, but I don't really care, because I like them.

What I'm going to say will sound snobbish, but hear me out.

No, I do not want novels. Not by fans and not by authorized authors.

I've gotten my start in literature via fantasy fiction, and I have read my share of crap.

I got started with Magic the gathering novels, but I've come in contact with Star Wars expanded universe, dragonlance, forgotten realms, and other licensed works.

These books are mostly utter crap. As entertaining  as you might find them, they read like fan fiction. They are plot driven, the characters have no arc and are one-dimensional. Each character reads like a cliché or worse a Mary-sue cliché.

I couldn't read Game of Thrones past chapter 2 when it was given to me in 2006 by a friend. It was such drivel. I was groaning all the way through chapter one and chapter two. I enjoy the tv series as a guilty pleasure, but it does keep confirming how plot driven and obvious it is.

I'm not saying that there is no good literary quality fantasy fiction. There most certainly is. But these are all original works and worlds created by the author itself, not licenses.

Novels based on the Project Eternity universe are going to provide exposition and lore we haven't asked for, deal with issues aren't the point of PoE, tell stories within the strict knowledge of the game, or alternatively ignore world rules and retcon. Man I hate retcons. They are going to be written by Fanboys and literary amateurs. They're going to be constrained by the authors understanding of the game and world lore, which is always going to be less than those who created the world and game.

More importantly, these books, of questionable quality will be canon. Fanboys will come and use the books as arguments of why something needs to be in the next game a certain way.

That thought alone should give you shivers.

Please, no novels in the PoE universe.

Edit:

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

What I'm going to say will sound snobbish, but hear me out.

Novels based on the Project Eternity universe are going to provide exposition and lore we haven't asked for, deal with issues aren't the point of PoE, tell stories within the strict knowledge of the game, or alternatively ignore world rules and retcon. Man I hate retcons. They are going to be written by Fanboys and literary amateurs. They're going to be constrained by the authors understanding of the game and world lore, which is always going to be less than those who created the world and game.

More importantly, these books, of questionable quality will be canon. Fanboys will come and use the books as arguments of why something needs to be in the next game a certain way.

That thought alone should give you shivers.

Please, no novels in the PoE universe.

Indeed it does sound snobbish, but that's ok, you are not the only one who does. ;)

I see your point regarding the PoE novels.

I don't know about novels but if the game does well I would like them to expand the setting and lore somehow so that there are more crazy places they can take us and more bizarre things we can do and encounter in a sequel.  In general I agree that books based on game settings are generally garbage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I personally like the ideas of novels.  Why not?  I download free books on Amazon.com all the time!  Yes I get a fair share of bad reads but l'm often surprised by some great reads out there.   Sorta like dungeon crawls, you never know what you'll find till you explore.

How it could be implemented:  If Obsidian were to supply info on a few locations to start and world background history (WIKI) I bet some folks could do a great job!  

My philosophy is great things happen only when people are willing to try and others help them!   .... Ummmm sorta like what we are doing for Obsidian I think.

Lastly, For me I'd love to enter a new world after reading novels about that world.

I'm kind of with JFSOCC. Shared universes tend to venture into Too Many Cooks very quickly.

If some of the actual game writers want to do a tie-in novels, prequels to the games, stuff in other parts of the game setting, I can get behind that so long as they have a really good editor.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."