RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

LadyCrimson

Huh? DDR4 is the next iteration of SDRAM as far as I understand it and is much faster than DDR3.

Perhaps you should read something about it. Intel is only supporting DDR4 at the end of the year for servers because of the lower voltage. DDR4 will be released at 2133 MT/s, which is also the speed of the highest DDR3 standard modules, manufacturers sell DDR3 at 2400 MT/s. In the future DDR4 will be faster, but for a while it won't be.

I think you should because you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

What specifically? That DDR4 is lower voltage (1.5v vs 1.2v)? That DDR4 will be introduced at 2133 MT/s and DDR3 is being sold at 2400 MT/s? That Intel is only supporting DDR4 RAM with enterprise class CPUs in 2014?

• Like 1

To the best of my knowledge, AwesomeOcelot is correct.  While DDR4 will save on power consumption with its lower voltage, it won't bring any speed increases initially.  DDR4 has a higher ceiling than DDR3, but you won't see it surpass DDR3 in terms of speed out of the gate, not for at least a year and a half, if the DDR2 to DDR3 transition is anything to go by.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

This is messed up:

In a statement, Stoic said King’s trademark claim is interfering with its plans to make another game in the series.

“We won’t make a viking saga without the word Saga, and we don’t appreciate anyone telling us we can’t,” the developer said.

“King.com claims they’re not attempting to prevent us from using The Banner Saga, and yet their legal opposition to our trademark filing remains. We’re humbled by the outpouring of support and honoured to have others stand with us for the right to their own Saga. We just want to make great games.”

The fact that King.com is attacking people for infringing on a trademarked word that isn't even trademarked yet should really, really count against them. They might have gotten away with this if they'd waited the apparent month that's allowed for people to place complaints against trademark applications; as it is, they're now going to have everyone with "Candy" or "Saga" filing complaints to stop it.

Considering their apparent "need" to attack everyone using these words, I wonder what's going to happen if they send one against Xenosaga.

It looked ahead of its time when it was originally released in 2005, and those visuals still hold up.

Haha, didn't they have to overhaul the graphics with a huge patch as the game looked like ass when it was released?

Resident Evil 4 on its native console was ahead of its time; the PC port was one of Ubisoft's many shamefully shoddy creations from that period. The re-re-release is hopefully going to avoid that.

Edited by TSBasilisk

The fact that King.com is attacking people for infringing on a trademarked word that isn't even trademarked yet should really, really count against them. They might have gotten away with this if they'd waited the apparent month that's allowed for people to place complaints against trademark applications; as it is, they're now going to have everyone with "Candy" or "Saga" filing complaints to stop it.

Considering their apparent "need" to attack everyone using these words, I wonder what's going to happen if they send one against Xenosaga.

It looked ahead of its time when it was originally released in 2005, and those visuals still hold up.

Haha, didn't they have to overhaul the graphics with a huge patch as the game looked like ass when it was released?

Resident Evil 4 on its native console was ahead of its time; the PC port was one of Ubisoft's many shamefully shoddy creations from that period. The re-re-release is hopefully going to avoid that.

Or the SaGa series from Square Enix.

In the Video Game News That Just Gave Me A Raging Boner category, Cyanide just announced Styx: Master of Shadows.

styx-banner.png

Venture deep in the miles-high Tower of Akenash with Styx, first of all goblins and master in the arts of stealth, theft and assassination!

Study your enemies behavior and the dizzying environment, and carefully prepare your plan of action to achieve your objectives while remaining undetected at all time! This new infiltration game with RPG elements developed for PC is coming this year!

Styx-01.jpg

Styx-02.jpg

Styx-03.jpg

Styx-04.jpg

Stealth/Assassination-based RPG starring EASILY the more interesting of the two protagonists from Of Orcs and Men, a goblin, no less?  Yes, please!  On a worrisome note, the stealth in Of Orcs and Men was pretty pitiful, but that game was more built around turn-based-ish solo co-op combat than anything else.  Seeing as this game is being built entirely around stealth, I'm hoping Cyanide (and Spiders?) completely revamp the stealth.  One of these years Cyanide is going to put out something really special.  They've always had great ideas and ambitions and they've always come up short.  Maybe this time everything will come together?  Please?  Pretty please?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must think unsexy thoughts, lest my co-workers give me strange looks.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 4

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

In the Video Game News That Just Gave Me A Raging Boner category, Cyanide just announced Styx: Master of Shadows.

styx-banner.png

Venture deep in the miles-high Tower of Akenash with Styx, first of all goblins and master in the arts of stealth, theft and assassination!

Study your enemies behavior and the dizzying environment, and carefully prepare your plan of action to achieve your objectives while remaining undetected at all time! This new infiltration game with RPG elements developed for PC is coming this year!

Styx-01.jpg

Styx-02.jpg

Styx-03.jpg

Styx-04.jpg

Stealth/Assassination-based RPG starring EASILY the more interesting of the two protagonists from Of Orcs and Men, a goblin, no less?  Yes, please!  On a worrisome note, the stealth in Of Orcs and Men was pretty pitiful, but that game was more built around turn-based-ish solo co-op combat than anything else.  Seeing as this game is being built entirely around stealth, I'm hoping Cyanide (and Spiders?) completely revamp the stealth.  One of these years Cyanide is going to put out something really special.  They've always had great ideas and ambitions and they've always come up short.  Maybe this time everything will come together?  Please?  Pretty please?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must think unsexy thoughts, lest my co-workers give me strange looks.

This does look good, hopefully they will put more effort into the linear maps and lack of decent exploration area's in the last game

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

New stuff from Paradox.

• Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

New stuff from Paradox.

Looking forward to hearing more about Runemaster. 

A person attending the announcement at PDXCon tweeted the following:

-Norse-themed RPG. 3 classes, 6 races. (Berserker, Skald, Runemaster)

-Races: Troll, Giant, Light Elf, Dark Elf, Human, Dwarf

-Some people will try to prevent Ragnorok, others will try to bring it forward

-Huge, procedurally generated map -- and 6 different worlds.

-Turn-based combat

-Emergent story-telling

-Actions lead to consequences that lead to different quest arcs

-"We want a single game to be long. 50-100 hours."

-"Crusader Kings as an RPG"

-Re: multiplayer "Technically possible, but we're focusing on other design issues right now."

Also, apparently it will be playable later today at the Con, so probably more info then :)

Edited by Noviere
  • Like 3

New stuff from Paradox.

Some info from a person attending the announcement at PDXCon tweeted the following:

-Turn-based combat

-Emergent story-telling

-Re: multiplayer "Technically possible, but we're focusing on other design issues right now."

Also, apparently it will be playable later today at the Con, so probably more info then :)

Here is my emotional roller coaster as I read the details:

An RPG from Paradox?  Really?  On the level?  For really real?  Color me interested.

Elves and dwarves?  *sigh*  Color me far less interested.

Huge procedurally generated map?  Color me a bit more interested.

50-100 hours long?  Color me a bit more interested still.

"Crusader Kings as a RPG"? Color me very interested. 

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

New stuff from Paradox.

Some info from a person attending the announcement at PDXCon tweeted the following:

-Turn-based combat

-Emergent story-telling

Sounds good, how much DLC can we expect from this ? :p

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Divintiy: Original Sin release delayed from February to "Summer 2014".

I think the writing was on the wall, so to speak. I mean, it's January 24 and they are still calling it an Alpha. Oh well... Kickstarter has made me more patient, if nothing else :p

Divintiy: Original Sin release delayed from February to "Summer 2014".

I think the writing was on the wall, so to speak. I mean, it's January 24 and they are still calling it an Alpha. Oh well... Kickstarter has made me more patient, if nothing else :p

I'm a bit disappointed, but as you said, it was expected and I don't want them to rush things. Luckily for me, I have lots of games to play in the meantime.

I was actually surprised they were sticking as close to their original schedule as they were, given all the extra content they were putting in, so the delay, while a bit disappointing, doesn't come as a big surprise.  Like Labadal, I've got a metric ****ton of games to tide me over until then.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Aye, the D:OS alpha is very alpha for how close to their release they already were. But with Larian feature creep is a given so yeah, no surprise here either.

As for the Styx game, will it have similar draconian DRM (limited activations) to "Of Orcs and Men" (reason I didn't touch that game on release, since removed though from what I heard) or am I allowed to get excited?

I could have happily gone through life without knowing what a goblin courtesan looked like. 

Or could you?

On a serious note, I'm glad they're distancing themselves from such and such race is always evil. 

• Like 1

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif