I was wondering how many "level ups" there is in the game before reaching maximum. In other words what is maximum level? Never been a fan of style where characters reach levels like 50.  In games like Baldur's Gate level ups were much rarer and every level up was worth of little celebration. 

Another thing i was wondering i couldn't find a answer,  does base attributes increase during the game or on level ups. Always found it little strange when characters are many times in the end og the game or just raised their IQ three times their orginal starting point. I appreciate Dungeons and dragons- & Fallout-style where main attributes are more or less cast in the stone and leveling up comes through skills and perks. 

From what I've read, the game will take the PC up to about level 12. I haven't heard whether we'll be able to improve attributes or not, but that's something I enjoy doing... as long as the improvement is slow and small. I definitely didn't like the Dragon Age/Dungeon Siege approach that leads to strongly asymmetrical characters.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Another thing i was wondering i couldn't find a answer,  does base attributes increase during the game or on level ups. Always found it little strange when characters are many times in the end og the game or just raised their IQ three times their orginal starting point. I appreciate Dungeons and dragons- & Fallout-style where main attributes are more or less cast in the stone and leveling up comes through skills and perks. 

I think it is the latter. I am hard pressed to find a source though.

With regards to levelling I have two concerns. Artificial level caps and every creature  in the multiverse levelling up when the PC levels up. Sorry for going on a tangent wrt your question about max levels.

Iirc, there is almost no stat improvements on level up. Sounds like it will all be gear / skills driven.

Lets hope the lack of stats and more skills will open up for some build variety besides just your choice of class. Anyone know something about it? I would make a thread on it for the theorycrafters among us since i haven't gotten any answers on this. Gotta hope a dev might see it and enlighten us.

Edited by Gyges

Iirc, there is almost no stat improvements on level up. Sounds like it will all be gear / skills driven.

That, and it appears that most bonuses/modifiers are dealing in percentages. Thus, that high stat will help you more later on (when you have higher base values from gear, and/or higher base damage values on higher-level abilities, for example). Just for what it's worth.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

So only 12 levels? actually i love if they make it 100 levels. :p

*Backhands poster*

Bad poster!  Bad first post!  Bad!  No cookies for you today!!!!

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I don't think many specifics have been provided. There was a vague comment about the general idea behind the design. I recall Josh saying that stats/attribute improvements (after character creation) will be rare, but he didn't exactly say they would never be tied to level-ups (it could be 1 every 5 levels or something.) All they've pretty much crossed off the list is the "you'll be able to boost your Intellect from 13 to 18 just from leveling up a few times! 8D!" scenario.

Basically, it won't be very frequent, apparently, through any means.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Less frequent level ups is a good thing. It makes you focus on the quests, story, and exploration versus your next level up. A level up should just be a pleasant surprise and short distraction before you're back into the game. But too many RPGs these days shower you with level ups and stat points and perks and BLAH.  :banghead:

So only 12 levels? actually i love if they make it 100 levels.  :p

:getlost:

Edited by Sir Chaox
  • Like 2

What can I say? Putting some thought into your levels and living with the choices is more to my liking. The many small levels and reassigning of stats and skills at a whim makes every choice lack weight and consequence. You never have to figure out where you are going or at least trying to get.

/end rant

theres room for both in different types of games, some work well with 100+ levels some don't. For something like PoE my ideal would be 20-30, 12 seems a bit too few for my personal tastes. I can understand people who like to keep it low powered, but for me I like to be able to feel like my character is fairly significant towards the end of my game journey.

So only 12 levels? actually i love if they make it 100 levels. :p

With the levels 61 to 80 only available after restarting the game on hard difficulty and levels 81 to 100 on very hard (but it will still take several playthroughs to reach).

More seriously, a level progression like Path of Exile's skill tree could actually work in a BG style game. And as long as it is possible to reach the level cap in a single playthrough, I would like to see someone try it.

theres room for both in different types of games, some work well with 100+ levels some don't. For something like PoE my ideal would be 20-30, 12 seems a bit too few for my personal tastes. I can understand people who like to keep it low powered, but for me I like to be able to feel like my character is fairly significant towards the end of my game journey.

The end of PoE isn't supposed to be the end of the character's journey. The relatively low level cap is done to leave some room for the expansion, and maybe even the sequel.

And if I understood correctly, there won't be any "empty" levels, regardless of class, where the only progresses are HP and attack bonus. Each level will bring new abilities, so a level 12 will probably feel more powerful than it was in BG or NWN.

^ In all fairness, if you don't even know what kind of improvements we're talking about with each level in this particular game's design, how can you really judge the number of levels, objectively?

Or, to put it as simply as possible, how do you know that, when you actually sit down and play the game, and reach level 12 with your party, you won't be perfectly content with the amount of progress/power you've achieved?

• Like 1