What you did today

LadyCrimson

Tested the structural integrity of the layer of ice now covering the 5ish inches of snow covering the Portland metro area. Not as robust as the time several years ago when I could walk around my yard without breaking through the inch-thick ice layer on top of about a foot of snow (although there was a fascinating noise of the ice straining and cracking as far away as the back yard as a result.)

Drank cheap plastic-bottled whiskey whose name I don't care to remember as snow + freezing rain - snowplows + the assumption that it's all going to melt tomorrow with a projected high of 50F = there's no reason to even attempt to go out except to test the strength of the ice layer on top of the snow.

I guess The Walking Dead is back on tonight, might catch that if I remember (the whiskey might actually have been a poor choice at noon-ish. But it would be legit if I had a St. Bernard with a tiny cask attached to its neck.)

Edited by AGX-17

Overslept, so back an absolute mess. Only cleared up about an hour ago. And now I'm off to bed!

Very quiet day, really.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Watched the second half of Man Utd versus Fulham. Oh, the hilarity.

Some consolation for me.  Though I am desperately hoping they lose on Wednesday as well

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I reloaded NWN 1 on my laptop. I forgot how bad it looked.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Played Risk: LOTR with friends for 5 hours straight, then I played Magic The Gathering another 2 hours or so. My head is dizzy from thinking about tactics for so many hours, but it was so much fun. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Actually now is the time to indulge. He'll be too busy and tired soon!

Admittedly, I have never experienced having a pregnant missus, but I've heard they can be very vicious. I assume Enoch is trying not to indulge to prevent Mrs.Enoch from chopping off his head out of anger.

I reloaded NWN 1 on my laptop.

Why would you torture yourself?

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I just finished doing my taxes. And writing the biggest check of my life to the IRS. Needless to say I'm in a pretty foul mood right now.

Well, this federal employee thanks you!

Well, if I look at it as buying you a drink (or many)  it does take some of the sting out of it :lol:

I wouldn't temp Enoch with a drink just yet, he has to show a measure of control till Mrs. Enoch pops out Enoch JR.

Actually now is the time to indulge. He'll be too busy and tired soon!

Perhaps too busy and tired to go out for a drink.  But it doesn't take much time or energy to pull the whiskey bottle out of the cabinet on my way too or from the kitchen.

Probably have to get a child lock for that thing...

In other news, my PC is having weird crashes.  Freeze -> brief BSoD -> restart, but with the boot priority for my hard drives reversed.  (It looks at the storage drive rather than the SSD with Windows on it.) 

If I open BIOS and tell it which drive to look at, it boots cleanly.  But it has crashed now 3 times today, and never running anything more complex than a Firefox window.  It was running games just fine for an hour or two last night.

I've already backed files up in case it's a HD issue.  I'm presently trying to bait it into happening again so that I can get a better look at the BSoD error message, while keeping a sensor program running to make sure it isn't a heat issue.  (Which would surprise me-- I'm in a rather cold room.)

Edited by Enoch

May I suggest you rename the PC 'Old Yeller' on your network?

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hm, I know I have a whole batch of things to get on with this week..  work to write up, books and papers to read...  But I'm still kind of stuck in the weekends exhausted "oy vey" recovery mode and procrastinating my way through the morning.

Fresh cup of tea, and deal with some laundry time...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I reloaded NWN 1 on my laptop. I forgot how bad it looked.

Friends don't let friends play NWN 1.

~~

I've been reviewing documentation today, with the help of this music I feel epic.

-Elwood Blues

"I come from a land down under! *mumbledontknowwords* and men chunder! Can't you hear can't you hear the thunder! better run, better - " ... wait a minute. What the devil is "chunder"?

Music is funny....you can happily sing along to a song on the radio for 30 years and have no idea what you're singing. I know what Vegemite is already, but...thankfully, we now have the internet! Which means I can discover that "chunder" means anything from puke/vomit to a Drovian curse word from some Star Wars novel.

I am enlightened! *turns song back on*

"better run, better take cover! ...."

I always heard the missing part as "where women grown and men plunder", but I don't really trust my own ears. :)

Pretty sure the lyrics are:

♪ Do you come from a land down under / Where women glow and men plunder / Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder / You better run, you better take cover. ♫

That's the first chorus. The second chorus goes like this:

♪ I come from a land down under / Where beer does flow and men chunder / Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder / You better run, you better take cover. ♫

In this case, chunder means vomit if I recall correctly.

Man...been so long since I heard the song, I didn't remember the second chorus was different. :(

Guess its a good thing it didn't come on recently with me singing along - would have led to funny looks.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

For the first time in 8 years or so I'm sick, my body feels like it had been crushed underneath a 270 ton mining truck wheel, my stomach hurts like...like I don't know, a lot, my brain inside my skull feels like a reactor going out of control and my heart starts racing when I lift my hand. But the hardest part is still in front of me, I have to cook me a proper meal, I haven't eaten anything today.

Oh boy, this' gonna be fun. 

For the first time in 8 years or so I'm sick, my body feels like it had been crushed underneath a 270 ton mining truck wheel, my stomach hurts like...like I don't know, a lot, my brain inside my skull feels like a reactor going out of control and my heart starts racing when I lift my hand. But the hardest part is still in front of me, I have to cook me a proper meal, I haven't eaten anything today.

This is why you should either live close to your parents or find a domestically inclined girl.
  • Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

After some research, it looks like my computer problem is a known bug in my SSD firmware, and can be fixed with an update.  I'll try that when I get home tonight.

Also, I got some distressing family news yesterday evening.  Anybody have any tips on consoling/advising a family member who has just discovered (in the most direct way possible) spousal infidelity that had been going on for a year or so? 

Edited by Enoch

Taking the time to sort out mom's drugs for the week, while I have the Education vs Creation debate running in the background.  Hm, so far the Creationism guy keeps talking about changing the definitions of things, and then talking about scientists who believe in Creationism, while Nye talks science and evidence.

.  Anybody have any tips on consoling/advising a family member who has just discovered (in the most direct way possible) spousal infidelity that had been going on for a year or so?

For a year? Plenty of fish in the sea....

• Like 1

Also, I got some distressing family news yesterday evening.  Anybody have any tips on consoling/advising a family member who has just discovered (in the most direct way possible) spousal infidelity that had been going on for a year or so? 

Take some time to think things through. Do not react on first impressions.?

• Like 1

Take some time to think things through. Do not react on first impressions.?

I think she's doing okay in this department-- I didn't find out until about a week after the initial discovery, and no irrevocable steps have been taken yet.

The tricky part is that they've got a kid who is just old enough (almost 3) to wonder where Daddy is. 

Edited by Enoch

May I reccomend nailing his scrotum to a hot skillet?

I have an exam in 30 minutes and am feeling a bit queasy. Currently running on 2.5 hours of sleep, five hour energy, and a lot of tea.

BTW, does anyone else feel that Earl Grey is an abomination?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

BTW, does anyone else feel that Earl Grey is an abomination?

This came up in a thread around here a little while ago.  I and Monte Carlo, at least, agree.  It tastes like perfectly lovely tea, into which some idiot has spilled a crock of stale potpourri. 

This is why you should either live close to your parents or find a domestically inclined girl.

That's why you keep a few mars bars and rehydration salts handy.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues