Playing other Kickstarter funded games makes me nervous

I dunno - realistically, look at what so many indie devs have done on a far smaller budget, or on budgets that they basically paid themselves out of.  Or just with a lot of time and effort.  I'm fairly disappointed in Broken Age.  Maybe if they would've spent a bit less time prettying it up, and more time on the meat and bones, it'd have been better.  I'd rather have an 8-bit looking game that draws me in, than a super fancy game that's over just after it began.

Look at Fez, or Bastion, or Braid for what can be done without AAA budgets.  And with absolutely tiny teams.  Heck, look at Thomas Was Alone - not exactly a marvel of graphics, but a beautiful game with an interesting story and great gameplay.  A lot of these Kickstarter projects are run by people with AAA experience that sometimes expect AAA processes without a AAA budget.  Hopefully this won't be one of those times.

• Like 2

I dunno - realistically, look at what so many indie devs have done on a far smaller budget, or on budgets that they basically paid themselves out of.  Or just with a lot of time and effort.  I'm fairly disappointed in Broken Age.  Maybe if they would've spent a bit less time prettying it up, and more time on the meat and bones, it'd have been better.  I'd rather have an 8-bit looking game that draws me in, than a super fancy game that's over just after it began.

Look at Fez, or Bastion, or Braid for what can be done without AAA budgets.  And with absolutely tiny teams.  Heck, look at Thomas Was Alone - not exactly a marvel of graphics, but a beautiful game with an interesting story and great gameplay.  A lot of these Kickstarter projects are run by people with AAA experience that sometimes expect AAA processes without a AAA budget.  Hopefully this won't be one of those times.

If you're small enough that you can work at home instead of renting an office, and you don't have salaried employees, then your financial calculus is completely different. In extreme cases, that can lead to indie teams with tens of thousands of dollars outperforming a low budget (a few hundred thousand dollars) "AAA" Kickstarter

However, the Kickstarters with budgets in the millions of dollars are a different story. With the exception of Double Fine, it looks like they've all been very shrewd with their budgeting.

Regarding Wasteland 2, I just read their lates update and they are still adding and changing a lot of stuff, despite being beta. I think you can expect a stable and balanced game in 2015 at the earliest.

I just hope PoE doesn't travel the same road.

Wasteland 2 is probably going to be out sooner than you think.

Agreed. :)

Sure, it's a little unorthodox, the amount of changes and polishing they're doing in what they're labeling "beta," but, they seem to have planned out their time pretty well, and are intentionally doing all this work in this late phase, rather than scrambling about to get things in at the last minute. But, it is still intended to be an actual beta phase, and they seem to plan on having the game out well before the end of the year.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Regarding Wasteland 2, I just read their lates update and they are still adding and changing a lot of stuff, despite being beta. I think you can expect a stable and balanced game in 2015 at the earliest.

I just hope PoE doesn't travel the same road.

Oh, I don't doubt it will be released this year. However I think there will be plenty of bugs and balancing issues, making the game playable at earliest during the early part of 2015. And yes, I realize that it is a subjective judgement, what is playble and what is not.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Oh, I don't doubt it will be released this year. However I think there will be plenty of bugs and balancing issues, making the game playable at earliest during the early part of 2015. And yes, I realize that it is a subjective judgement, what is playble and what is not.

Oh yes, they will get it out this year.  But you are right.... How good/playable it will be is definitely up in the air.

Ahhh. Didn't realize that's what you meant by "playable." My mistake.

Yeah, I honestly don't know what to think about how much they're changing/putting in this late. When the beta first released, it was QUITE rough. So... but, I can't really say for sure that it wasn't planned this way, and they won't surprise us with how playable it is by, say, the end of summer.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u