Beta...just finalized my pledge today...

@kebrus:

By your own logic, you're merely trying to justify/validate your own refrain from that spending and the avoidance of those risks/consequences. And "you either like it or you leave"? Who told anyone to leave? You can stay forever, if you want, and you can even disagree with everyone else the whole time. No one's going to tell you you can't. If disagreeing is wrong, then how are you any more correct than anyone else here?

There's a 99.9% chance you're going to read this, and laugh about it, and possibly respond as if I'm a moron. But, I had to say it, and, for what it's worth, I don't think you're a moron. I think your sentiments (and the OP's) are understandable, from one human to another, but that that doesn't mean there's some objective sin in providing guaranteed beta access as a value-based reward for donation amounts to a crowd-funded project.

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

@kebrus-

Listen to logic. The beta access was an extra add-on during the kickstarter. If they charged less than that for the beta access now, people that backed then would be up in arms. Also, more logic don't pay for it if you don't want it. Also, early access is literally the same thing as beta access. 

Edited by Metabot
  • Like 2

Also, early access is literally the same thing as beta access.

This.

They're giving you access to the game in its beta-build state. Thus "beta" paired with "access." Nowhere does it say you will be employed as a tester. Heck, plenty of people might pay the money just to play the game early, and not even help find any bugs. There's nothing requiring them to find bugs and help fix the build. Yet, you're fine with early access, but not fine with mere beta "access"?

Strange... (P.S.... I think this was one of those "I'm just signing up on here to make this one post, then I'm out!" things, so he's probably not actually reading any of this, Metabot. 8P)

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

OP, i'm with you...

in fact i exclusively came here looking for some information about this, and unfortunately i can already tell this is not a good community to stay in, i would advise you to stay away from it like i'm going to do after this post.

Hi Kebrus

You right this is a nasty  and scary community that is full of people that like to shout...but I'll be your friend...plzzzzz don't go ...plzzzzz :wub:

If you decide to not go can you support me in my endeavors to ensure Romance is implemented in PoE....then I'll become your BFF and we can really hang around together :dancing:

• Like 3

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Again the point is...you don't have to pay.  People are all caught up on the 'Why should I pay to test'.  There is a simple reason for it...it's optional.  They have beta testers.  Like most computer companies, they have internal QA teams as well as selected outside people testing...it's how the process works.  So they are offering people the ability to play the game early and help them work out the bugs.  There is a value in that and they are charging for it.  Again if you don't want to play..don't but don't moan and complain about the price.

@kebrus:  You talk about how everyone doesn't understand your point nor is anyone buy you able to justify their opinion (Full of yourself much) You also say 'These people can never give you a good justification because there are none, so instead they comments fall in false moralism and ethics.'  Yet here you are giving ONLY your opinion and then telling everyone that ONLY your opinion is valid (Again full of yourself much).

Here's the only valid answer (Not opinion but fact)

Obsidian decided that giving people beta access had a value.  They priced that value at $25.00.  The opened up the ability to buy in and people were willing to pay it.  That's it, that is all there is to it.  There is no, should they or should they not.  They are the makers of the product.  They selected the value they thought it was worth and seeing how a lot of people have purchased that beta access they were correct.  Had the market decided that beta access was NOT worth $25.00 then people would not have paid it and they would have stopped offering it.

I'm not trying to call you out here but what gives you the right to tell everyone else here that their opinions are not valid and only you are right?

Regardless of this early Beta discussion, i'm sure us 'New' members will enjoy the game non the less. Welcome to the Forum!

Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day...

Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life...

• 4 weeks later...

It's extremely unflattering Obsidian to immediately become the beast developers have been blaming for many years (the evil publishers).  

Wait...

What?

Providing an add-on to your pledge now makes them EA?

I'm sorry you had to learn in this fashion that video game development takes money. But the fact is that merely asking for money does not make them evil.

And I know that $4 million seems like a lot to you, but it is a drop in the bucket. I'm quite frankly amazed they are making a game like this for it.

Edited by Bryy
  • Like 1

It's extremely unflattering Obsidian to immediately become the beast developers have been blaming for many years (the evil publishers).

Wait...

What?

Providing an add-on to your pledge now makes them EA?

I'm sorry you had to learn in this fashion that video game development takes money.

Haha. True that.

It's ALMOST right, though. There's just one key factor he missed:

Beta access just grants you content earlier than you would've already gotten it, if you pay for the add-on. EA doesn't ever grant you some content, until you pay for it as an add-on.

If you don't pay Obsidian extra, you just eat dinner later. If you don't pay EA extra, you only get half a serving of food. 8P

(Granted, a food metaphor's a little strong, inadvertently so, because food is necessary for survival, and video game content is just video game content, but the principle is the same.)

Edited by Lephys

Let's not go into the Pie Analogy for DLC, shall we? I've never liked it.

I wasn't talking about DLC in general. I was referring to the specific design of some DLC, that EA tends to use, like how the only living Prothean (who's DIRECTLY tied into the history and story of Mass Effect, mind you) became a DLC "add-on." It's not like you just don't get to use him in your party and/or go on a personal quest for him. He just plain doesn't exist if you don't pay for him as an "add-on."

*shrug*. I just think that's pretty terrible, on principle. Any effort beyond the initial release of the game I have no inherent problem with being price-carrying DLC. Locking stuff in the game at release is just-plain shady (except for like... "Oh, this Collector's Edition helmet" that's designed to be exclusive and is purely cosmetic/for funsies).

Let's not go into the Pie Analogy for DLC, shall we? I've never liked it.

I wasn't talking about DLC in general. I was referring to the specific design of some DLC, that EA tends to use, like how the only living Prothean (who's DIRECTLY tied into the history and story of Mass Effect, mind you) became a DLC "add-on." It's not like you just don't get to use him in your party and/or go on a personal quest for him. He just plain doesn't exist if you don't pay for him as an "add-on."

He does if you add in one line of code.

:dancing:

• Like 2

*gasp*... You mean steal? *faints*

I want to get into real estate, and sell someone a house, but padlock all the bathrooms and charge extra for the key. 8)

*gasp*... You mean steal? *faints*

I want to get into real estate, and sell someone a house, but padlock all the bathrooms and charge extra for the key. 8)

No, it's not even pirating.

It was shown that all you need to do for Javik is re-add in one line of code at the beginning. I forget what it is, though.

No, it's not even pirating.

It was shown that all you need to do for Javik is re-add in one line of code at the beginning. I forget what it is, though.

I know. I was being silly. According to EA, it's piracy. You just got for free what is supposed to cost money.

(Also, it's a bit harder to edit the code on my 360). I actually got him for free, for pre-ordering. It's the principle of the thing.

Also, my house analogy still stands true. 8P

The Beta that we are given access to is not the same beta that irons out bugs in the main game (and spoils the story). This beta is a small, stand-alone experience that is meant to test game mechanics and combat balance, while giving players a taste of the style that the main game will be in. Or to Quote J.E. Sawyer, "We are going to be having a [beta] section of the game that the players can play through to get a feel for all the mechanics and style of character interactions and all that kind of stuff" source

This backer beta is designed to not ruin the game experience, unlike the normal beta process which kills most hope of enjoying the final product.

• Like 1

I think it is a good idea that you can "buy" additional things as long as the money goes into the Game...

Also a question: are there news when we can buy the addons when we have already a pledge? I have already finalized my pledge and didn't took the expansion-addon because i wanted to overthink it: but now i cannot buy them without buying an additional copy for 35$.

First of all, it was a reward tier during the kickstarter, and secondly why do people have a problem with it? Just dont get it if you don't want it? Don't remove it for people that actually want beta acess for a price. Having the option to get beta acess for a price seems better than not having the option at all no?

I have just finalized my pledge today. I so im out of $45 for Beta and the expansion pack (whatever that will be). I'm gladly paying a lot of money to be able to play a new game from a genre i have dearly missed for like 10 years now. Its up to me now to pay people to entertain me. and thats fine by me :)

I think it is a good idea that you can "buy" additional things as long as the money goes into the Game...

Also a question: are there news when we can buy the addons when we have already a pledge? I have already finalized my pledge and didn't took the expansion-addon because i wanted to overthink it: but now i cannot buy them without buying an additional copy for 35$.

There's no new news on it - as far as we know it's being worked on, but no timeframe given.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat: