Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #70: New Year Project Update

Pillars of Eternity Brandon Adler Project Update Features Concepts Areas UI Creatures

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

Silverbarr

Silverbarr

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

Fantastic update! :)

Looking forward to hearing more, and preferably seeing some more gameplay ;)

LordCrash

LordCrash

Grand Weresheep of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1153 posts
  • Steam:LordCrash88
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I LOVE what I see here....  :yes:

Please continue to amaze me, Obsidian...  :wowey:

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3950 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

What a step up in typography! Big thumbs-up! Subtle indentations after headlines, colour consistency, oldstyle(!) numerals, ligatures :D. Is that manually hinted and kerned, or have you gone with a different solution than what you used before? Give all my praise to whoever is responsible!

And what an incredible looking screenshots. Trees have evolved leaps and bounds!

And the attention to detail on monsters that will barely appear larger than an inch on screen!

Thanks for an awesome update!

I have to agree. With someone with terrible eyesight, I can't say how grateful I am that we are getting a very easily readable font. This is a very big plus and made me even more excited for this.

• Lysen, IndiraLightfoot, mstark and 1 other like this

BAdler

BAdler

Game Director

• Developers+
  • -9926 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

Brandon you just broke the backer site.

Yeah, it is getting slammed right now. Darren is on the case and it should be back up shortly.

• C2B likes this

JFSOCC

JFSOCC

Mentor & Student of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2255 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
character sheet UI looks really good IMO. And can I see flowers in the grass behind the menu? excellent! the maps are looking a lot better! vegetation is the key, and you can really see it. Well done!
I'm curious, what does concentration do, and how do various classes use it? <edit: asked and answered>

And I am very, very pleased to see a button which says "export"

Edited by JFSOCC, 14 January 2014 - 02:44 PM.

• mstark likes this

SunBroSolaire

SunBroSolaire

Custodian of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The screenshot looks amazing :w00t: and I like the sound of the revised attributes. I would love to hear more about the affects of each stat.

Pallegina as a name for the female paladin is... um, a.. questionable choice.

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

character sheet UI looks really good IMO. And can I see flowers in the grass behind the menu? excellent! the maps are looking a lot better!
I'm curious, what does concentration do, and how do various classes use it?

From the bottom of the last page, which many people may miss:

Concentration is similar to Concentration in 3E/3.5 (somewhat similar to Poise in Dark Souls) but it is for everyone, not just spellcasters.  Concentration prevents you from playing hit reactions when you take damage.  If you cannot maintain Concentration, you will play a hit reaction and your attack/reload/spell is interrupted.  We're still defining the system (in fact, I was messing around with the formulae before I sat down), but that's the general idea.

• JFSOCC and ItinerantNomad like this

Cabal

Cabal

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Brandon you just broke the backer site.

Yeah, it is getting slammed right now. Darren is on the case and it should be back up shortly.

Let's hope so ^^

Hope it doesn't take eternity :D

Corvwyn

Corvwyn

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

The character sheet looks really good. How did you make this in Unity? Custom code, existing assets from the asset store, or a combination? Working on a game in Unity myself, and it would be nice with some insight into how you make your GUI.

Legolad

Legolad

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Legolad
  • Kickstarter Backer

Just tried the backer portal. I think I already responded but wanted to make sure. Sadly, the portal won't load for me. I just get a blank page. Maybe it's getting slammed after update 70?

I'm getting very excited about this game. Each update makes me more and more impatient, but I will persevere. :-

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5869 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Given Strength (now Might) doesn't seem to influence inventory size anymore, does it mean that every character will carry the same amount of stuff? Or is it going to be determined by something else entirely (class, level, talents) ?

By the way, good job to the art team on Twin Elms, the gods and the character sheet UI, it's all really good stuff. I wonder if there will be wilderness areas with less muted color palettes though? So far most of what's been shown was either foggy or fairly desatured, with the exception of the very first screenshot/mockup (though we haven't seen the latest render of it in detail anyway) and the few dungeons we've seen.

EDIT: Worked on sentence structure and making the message sound less awkward.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver, 14 January 2014 - 02:55 PM.

• JFSOCC and Ineth like this

Labadal

Labadal

• Members
  • 3950 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

character sheet UI looks really good IMO. And can I see flowers in the grass behind the menu? excellent! the maps are looking a lot better!
I'm curious, what does concentration do, and how do various classes use it?

From the bottom of the last page, which many people may miss:

Concentration is similar to Concentration in 3E/3.5 (somewhat similar to Poise in Dark Souls) but it is for everyone, not just spellcasters.  Concentration prevents you from playing hit reactions when you take damage.  If you cannot maintain Concentration, you will play a hit reaction and your attack/reload/spell is interrupted.  We're still defining the system (in fact, I was messing around with the formulae before I sat down), but that's the general idea.

Will concentration also have any effect on attack of opportunity?

Also, not to be a pain, but could you go into more detail when it comes to attributes? Is it decided what stat will govern the inventory size? Stuff that we do not see on that screen? I'm only interested in stats that are already decided upon.

Also, Critical Hits <-- Perception?

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3040 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Great update, much appreciated ladies and gentlemen. One question springs to mind, is that pillar of rock in the midst of the Engwithan ruin one of the much discussed pillars of Adra? If so was the structure built around it, or was the pillar added later, and are there any skills that could let our characters guess at this? An archaeology skill and the character who pursues it might be extremely interesting given the complexity of the setting.

PsychoBlonde

PsychoBlonde

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 525 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I've tried 3 separate times to claim my rewards on the backer portal.  All 3 times it got as far as "checkout" and then froze my browser.  Now I get "error 403, you do not have permission to access / on this server" whenever I try going to the page.

Labadal

Labadal

• Members
  • 3950 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I've tried 3 separate times to claim my rewards on the backer portal.  All 3 times it got as far as "checkout" and then froze my browser.  Now I get "error 403, you do not have permission to access / on this server" whenever I try going to the page.

Backer portal is getting hammered right now.

PappaCube

PappaCube

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:PappaCube
  • Kickstarter Backer

same error here

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9040 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Gazing at the (awesome) character sheet, for a second I thought to myself "MIG? What stat is that?" ... then I realized it was Might and rolled my eyes at myself.

Graphically I like the game more and more as we get more visuals. Subtle sometimes, yet also very grand. And I love the rocks/walls/stone floor textures in the arena-like first screenshot.

PsychoBlonde

PsychoBlonde

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 525 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Backer portal is getting hammered right now.

It's not just "right now".  My attempts have been days or weeks apart.

Godwin

Godwin

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

This is the way developers should give updates to their backers and fans. Very good work guys, very pleased.

• silvercross and Fade Lee like this

StrangeCat

StrangeCat

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Great update!  Everything is looking quite Good!

I am interested in what you are doing for Foley Sounds?  Are you going to be hiring someone and recording your own.  

• Falkon Swiftblade likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pillars of Eternity, Brandon Adler, Project Update, Features, Concepts, Areas, UI, Creatures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users