I'm a PC gamer. That's lame, but I can live with it. A few years back I stopped buying games from Ubisoft after their frog leadership decided to put horrible DRM on all of their PC software. This digital Maginot wall did little to prevent piracy and a great deal to ruin the gaming experience of paying customers such as myself.

Cut to now, it's years later and the one game I have been looking forward to in the last decade somehow fell into the tainted clutches of Ubisoft. While I love South Park more than I hate Ubisoft, I can't imagine a more unholy alliance when it comes to attitude towards piracy. While the South Park creators concentrate on making an awesome show and seem to be barely concerned with piracy, Ubisoft just craps out new, increasingly dumb Assasin's Creed titles while upping the frustration on the customer with their content protection.

Does anyone know whether Ubisoft will have DRM all over its PC customers as per usual?

Regards, 

Phongduck

Edited by Tale

I would be very surprised if Ubisoft doesn't embed the game into their usual customer punishment system. I do have Stick Of Truth on preorder, but because of Obisidian and very much despite Ubisoft. I'll just wait to install it until more... let's call it feedback... about the expected Ubi-DRM is available.

So if you like Obsidian and / or South Park, I recommend the same strategy :)

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

As long as you keep Uplay in Offline mode, and only go Online to put more games on your computer, I don't find it that bad. At least you can always play your single player games in offline mode with it.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

• 3 weeks later...

Probability of UPlay = 100%

Actually, not really. Ubisoft does not force Uplay on their third-party developers. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, made by Techland, is Steamworks.

That + the fact that the game has Steam achievements and that Ubisoft already confirmed that the retail release is steamworks (http://blog.ubi.com/south-park-the-stick-of-truth-release-date-grand-wizard-edition/ see on the comments)

Hi everyone,

Just to further confirm this, South Park: The Stick of Truth will not be featuring Uplay support, and will be available on PC through Steam.

Thanks,

Darren

Whoa, maybe it's just me, but I feel like this is something that should've been mentioned months ago...haha. Hurray! :)

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Hi everyone,

Just to further confirm this, South Park: The Stick of Truth will not be featuring Uplay support, and will be available on PC through Steam.

Thanks,

Darren

That's great news. Happy we don't have to deal with Uplay.

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Darren

BOO! HISS!

Steam's buggy offline mode sucks! I actually want to play my game whenever I want. Not just during the short window in which Steam can remember I'm me.

How difficult would it be to remove that Steam CEG crap, and replace it with Uplay's DRM for the Uplay version. At least then that would also mean that people who buy it through Uplay don't need 2 bloody DRM clients open to play it. Again, one of those probably won't let you play it again after a bit when it's buggy offline mode forgets who you are within a month, meanwhile the other one never forgets but couldn't do anything about it anyways.

They should rename their offline mode to Simulated Online Mode. But then some people then might not like knowing that Steam is always-online DRM (just can sometimes be simulated online.) I'm not a huge fan of Origin or Uplay; they are not as convenient as DRM-free installers. However, they at least have real offline modes so I can play my games whenever I want. But hey, the one or so people Valve has working on fixing this some of the time can only do so much.

I thought Ubi buying the rights to publish the game was a great thing solely because I thought it would have meant replacing Steam CEG with Uplay.

Edited by babaganoosh13
  • Like 1

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Darren

Does that mean that those of us who don't buy it on Steam will have a completely DRM-free experience?

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Darren

Does that mean that those of us who don't buy it on Steam will have a completely DRM-free experience?

Steamworks

So, no.

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Darren

Basically, it has to have Steam running, and logged in no matter what to work. If you buy it from another marketplace that has its own DRM client like Uplay, you'll have to have a logged in Steam account running inside of it as well.

I'm assuming the disc version will be one that just has the files on it, but still demand that you need a Steam account to play it like what New Vegas did.

I wish there was someone in the video game industry for a company that has any power to even be in the conversation about DRM decisions actually lived in an area that doesn't have reliable, affordable high speed. As it stands, they have no fudging grasp of the sham that is Steam's buggy simulated online mode.

Edited by babaganoosh13