Obsidian Project to be announced at GDC 2014

C2B

The problem with this project is imo that the core competencies of Obsidian are wasted.

I... I don't think you are able to really make that call....

Well, Obsidian's strengths are narrative and characters, not exactly something that shines in an MMO, especially a F2P tank warfare one.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The problem with this project is imo that the core competencies of Obsidian are wasted.

Well, Obsidian's strengths are narrative and characters, not exactly something that shines in an MMO, especially a F2P tank warfare one.

EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Depends on the specfic developers themselves. 

It's just my personal opinion based on the various Obsidian games I've played so far. I don't say that Obsidian isn't capable of making a game like that. I just say that I don't see many of the competencies they've built up with previous games used here to a greater extend...  ;)

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

Clearly Obsidian are on their way to diversifying their properties in the manner that 80s powerhouses like MPS Labs and Origin Systems did - they explored every genre under the sun. I mean if you can do F-19 Stealth Fighter and Darklands, Pirates! and Railroad Tycoon, Civilization and Rex Nebular; or Ultima and Jane's Longbow, Wing Commander and System Shock, Crusader and Wings of Glory.

:p

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

You take the role of a lone M1A1 Abrams with a world in turmoil and learn that you're destined to make a difference; along the way you meet interesting characters like T-72 and Leopard 2 (old models - low level) who will provide you with deep philosophy in armored warfare and have ambiguous agendas in the grand plotline about finding your place in the stage of global war.

What can change the nature of a tank?

The threesome with the M1A2 and T-90 does it every time.

Will it have Obsidian-level narrative?
I wouldn't mind reading Obsidian's takes on politics and wars, and I think the intended audience (military enthusiasts) would appreciate that too, instead of those brain bleach CoDs.

Even better if the world is fictional-but-very-close-to-ours (think Ace Combat) to make it hard to offend anybody.

Edited by exodiark

Pah, I blame Steam for that...  :aiee:

Steam? You got me there. :ermm:

You can buy pretty much any boxed copy of a game. Also World of Tanks have a boxed copy in stores. I never bought it though. I was more making a joke than anything that I don't play MMOs anymore and this will be the first Obsidian game I won't have a boxed copy.

Will it have Obsidian-level narrative?

I wouldn't mind reading Obsidian's takes on politics and wars, and I think the intended audience (military enthusiasts) would appreciate that too, instead of those brain bleach CoDs.

Even better if the world is fictional-but-very-close-to-ours (think Ace Combat) to make it hard to offend anybody.

Hey, I've only ever met one "brain bleached" fan of CoD.

Oh no no, I'm not talking about the fans  :grin: , I'm talking about the games themselves.
I know that enjoying something is not an indicator of intelligence.

I enjoy CoD because of its blockbuster experience.
However, storywise, CoD is rather stupid, like Russia invading US & Europe easily (MW series), or how South America hijacked USA's superweapon satellite with ease (Ghosts).