Obsidian Project to be announced at GDC 2014

C2B

Well it gives Obsidian an income while they work on PoE and experience in areas they don't normally get to practice with, which they can then put to use in other games.

There's NOTHING from MMO's you WANT to put in regular RPG's. If you do, you murder your own product.

I guess there's still the income, true.

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Well it gives Obsidian an income while they work on PoE and experience in areas they don't normally get to practice with, which they can then put to use in other games.

There's NOTHING from MMO's you WANT to put in regular RPG's. If you do, you murder your own product.

I guess there's still the income, true.

In MMO's.

Learning the trade.

Why would you want to learn MMO's?

That's about as useful as learning to make black and white silent animated movies in order to make a 1 1/2 Disney/Dreamworks movie.

Or (to keep in RPG terms);

Learning a few skills in magic for your melee close up barbarian, then learning he has no magic, or they can't scratch enemies at all...

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

maybe... just maybe, obsidian is making an RPG style single player campaign for this... wishful thinking level over 9000!

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Wait what?

They didn't even say its a 1:1 WOT clone. So, unless the previews are out let us take a step back.

Oh come on, did you watch that trailer with your eyes and ears closed?

You know: if it looks like a cat, walks like a cat, meows like a cat, ****s like a cat...

Also, in the 95% me-too MMO industry, it's only news when a game is NOT a clone.** If Armored Warfare had ANYTHING that sets it apart from the "family", they would be busy touting that feature as "innovative!", even in the first trailer. I've seen MMOs come and go for about 2 decades, trust me on this.

(** Like Atlantica Online having a party for control instead of a single character, I talked about it in the Monte's MMO Adventure thread. I didn't talk about crafting or enchanting or whatever, because it's industry standard in AO, so to speak.)

Edited by Endrosz

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Wait what?

They didn't even say its a 1:1 WOT clone. So, unless the previews are out let us take a step back.

Oh come on, did you watch that trailer with your eyes and ears closed?

You know: if it looks like a cat, walks like a cat, meows like a cat, ****s like a cat...

Also, in the 95% me-too MMO industry, it's only news when a game is NOT a clone. If Armored Warfare had ANYTHING that sets it apart from the "family", they would be busy touting that feature as "innovative!", even in the first trailer. I've seen MMOs come and go for about 2 decades, trust me on this.

Yes, let me too judge games completly from their first trailer which is about ACTION. Granted it may as well turn out this way, but there is reaction and there is overreaction.

That worked out so well so far.

Edited by C2B

maybe... just maybe, obsidian is making an RPG style single player campaign for this... wishful thinking level over 9000!

You take the role of a lone M1A1 Abrams with a world in turmoil and learn that you're destined to make a difference; along the way you meet interesting characters like T-72 and Leopard 2 (old models - low level) who will provide you with deep philosophy in armored warfare and have ambiguous agendas in the grand plotline about finding your place in the stage of global war.

What can change the nature of a tank?

• Like 9

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I Personally wish Obsidian the best of luck and it would be interesting to see there take on how this game will work will it be pure arcade like WOT (which i hate) or will it have a sense of accuracy and rialism like Warthunder up coming ground forces, Obsidian could use a cash flow from this game.

That's extremely embarrassing.

Not the word I'd use.

To the thread: It's unexpected as hell, but might be good to wait for some info though.

If I can't even use hyperbole here, where else will I nerdrage? On Something Awful? Woe is me.

But yeah, embarrassing or not, it's not exactly the kind of project Obsidian would pitch on their own.

• Like 3

To work on MMO's

This isn't a new idea for Obsidian. As I said before F2P/MMO already came up in 2010.

]

Why do you want to work on the one market that's already flooded, dare I say, tsuanami'ed, and has such a small chance of succeeding anymore as a result?

Nickel-and-dime to recoup losses, than pull the plug? Doesn't sound like a nice faith of hard work to me.

^

That's about as useful as learning to make black and white silent animated movies in order to make a 1 1/2 Disney/Dreamworks movie.

Pretty much all knowledge of motion and the principles of animation spring from old black and white cartoons, as well as a lot of examples of how not to do it are on display very strongly and you can actually learn a lot from it that you can apply to CG Animation, both good and bad. Paperman is a great example of trying to emulate that.

asian mmorpg was already stretching it, but obsidian broke the RPG niche with this title, which is a little sad.

I'm sure they'll come up with great games in the future, but this isn't a game for their audience and I guess they know that.

oh well.

• Like 2

To the thread: It's unexpected as hell, but might be good to wait for some info though.

Fair enough... Though I can't imagine what additional info they could offer that would change my opinion about a free-to-play tank-based MMO. 

Pretty much all knowledge of motion and the principles of animation spring from old black and white cartoons, as well as a lot of examples of how not to do it are on display very strongly and you can actually learn a lot from it that you can apply to CG Animation, both good and bad. Paperman is a great example of trying to emulate that.

And UE4 sprang from UE1.

Doesn't mean it has any use whatsoever to have devs learn the UE1 stuff nowadays if they later need to work on UE4.

^

A tank MMO? That is completely new territory for Obsidian. I don't play multiplayer or MMOs but I might give it a shot since it's FTP iirc, we'll see. I wasn't expecting them to announce such a drastic deviation from what they usually do. A Stick of Truth sequel or DLC would be welcome though.

1zq6793.jpg

I'll see your tank army and raise you my genetically mutated super-cat army... :cat:

Don't think I'd be interested in a tank MMO. A general MMO I might at least look at. Tank type games, not my thing. Which is fine...I don't have to be into every game Obsidian wants to make, in order to love Obsidian for the games they make that do fall into my areas of interest. I wish them luck, and I'll still be curious about previews and stuff.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Two MMOs and PoE, that's what they are working on, right? No next-gen game?

No wonder some people had to go.

?

Nobody had to go. What are you talking about?

If you're talking about the march layoffs in 2012 that happened before this.

Edited by C2B