Obsidian Project to be announced at GDC 2014

C2B

Welp. That came out of nowhere.

...so is Anthony Davis involved? You'd think he'd be a natural for this...umm...project.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

If you have any problems please come to Kickstarter and I will give you every penny I have but not like this...not like this...

Yeah, what he said. 

I love you guys, I really do. Pre-orders, collector's editions, DLC, dual-own (now that I think about it, like, 4 of your games), significant chunk o' change dropped on KS...there isn't much I won't do to support you. But I can't see myself playing this.

Fingers crossed that this is something that banks you a huge win so that we can all get back to our regularly scheduled RPG development. 

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I can see why they haven't been trying to hype it on the forums. We're not the target audience

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well at least they are working on other projects. Always a good thing, and branching out to other genres can keep,things from being so insular.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

A me-too World of Tanks game? Srsly??!?!? Why do they need Obz's narrative skills for that? At least Skyforge is an MMO with a main storyline and quest galore, I can see why they would reach out for Obz. But this?

Oh well, I hope they get paid a lot for completely forgettable, cliché war stories. Rob them blind, Feargie! ;)

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Well this certainly wasn't an exciting bit of news... **** happens, I guess.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Oh well, I hope they get paid a lot for completely forgettable, cliché war stories. Rob them blind, Feargie! ;)

That's not to say a real world war stories doesn't have plenty of potential for depth and nuance, certainly a lot more than Star Wars or the Forgotten Realms. I don't think we'll get that out of Armored Warfare, mind you, but there's a lot of potential (but also a lot more risks attached).

Absolutely true about the potential. I didn't play it myself, but heard a lot of good things about Spec Ops: The Line, that it had a James Jones-style narrative. But I just can't imagine that kind of story/characters focus in a shooter MMO...

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

A me-too World of Tanks game? Srsly??!?!? Why do they need Obz's narrative skills for that? At least Skyforge is an MMO with a main storyline and quest galore, I can see why they would reach out for Obz. But this?

To be perfectly fair, Obsidian makes games.

Period.

Yes, they're a studio that makes money by making games. I know that.

Then again, a game of this type doesn't sound like a good bet to me. There are already a few WoT copycats out there trying to get a bigger and bigger slice of that admittedly huge pie (WoT is among most profitable MMOs), so you need to put out something clearly better than what's already on the market. Can they do that? They don't have any experience with multiplayer shooters, nor military warfare games, nothing of this sort.

Also, they never built an MMO before, which by all accounts is the most complex game type, carrying the highest risks in the entire industry. There are more examples of failures than of successes.

Putting the two together, I'm having a "we're making a WoW-killer!" flashback moment. We all know how those attempts turned out...

Why this?

Skyforge people want to make a tank game. Skyforge people are working with Obsidian already. "Hey, wanna do this other thing for us?"

I mean if you've already got a good working relationship with an external studio, you're likely to give them first refusal on a new project rather than take the time and risk associated with finding another partner to do it.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Skyforge people want to make a tank game. Skyforge people are working with Obsidian already. "Hey, wanna do this other thing for us?"

I mean if you've already got a good working relationship with an external studio, you're likely to give them first refusal on a new project rather than take the time and risk associated with finding another partner to do it.

The tanks game was before Skyforge from what I can tell actually.