Obsidian Project to be announced at GDC 2014

C2B

If it's something they're working on - eg, it's an Obsidian game - I'll be at least interested to know more.

If it's something they're collaborating on - eg, it's not an "Obsidian" game - I'll be a lot less interested, unless it happens to be a game genre/setting that I like to begin with, perhaps. Depends.

If it's an MMO collaboration and they're doing the writing, I'd find that intriguing. Don't know if I'd want to play it, but intriguing nonetheless.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hmmmm....

I failed to take this into consideration when I booked a vacation to swing down to LA to visit some friends (and hopefully meet some of the Obsidian crew).

If there's no Chris Avellone or Sawyer... ;(

Edited by alanschu

• 4 weeks later...

Most likely gonna be the MMO.

The MMO is already announced and isn't an Obsidian project, though, mostly something they're collaborating on in a small capacity (the team working on it is 15-ish I think?)

But was it officially announced?

If there's no Chris Avellone or Sawyer... ;(

Then your trip is wasted and you have my deepest sympathies.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I think the announcement will be Obsidian developing Fallout 4 for Bethesda, while Bethesda is making The Elder Scrolls VI :p

God this would make me so happy haha, New Vegas was so much more enjoyable than F3. Don't think ill buy another fallout game unless its made by Godsidian :biggrin:

I'd like to see the next Kickstarter based on a mix of Dark Sun and Ravenloft and maybe some other pnp rpgs like KULT and Nobilis. It's nice to see games influenced by older games like Baldurs Gate and Planescape Torment but it would great if they allowed themselves a bit more creative freedom and went in a completely new direction, after all that's what Kickstarter is about, allowing creators to do things they wouldn't normally be able to do.

"Why don't you just jack off in a bottle of formaldehyde and call it our first born?" - Minatsuki "Hummingbird" Takami

Rock, Paper, Shotgun: Apparently We Won’t Hear About Fallout 4 For ‘A While’

Quote from Bethesda game director Todd Howard:

“We don’t [have a timeframe for our next game announcement],” he said, “but I think it’s gonna be a while.

The pathetically desperate fanboy in me wants to interpret this as a sign that Obsidian *could* be doing another Fallout game for them... I guess we'll find out at GDC, but by god I SO want it to be Fallout. F:NV is easily my favorite RPG of the past ~12 years.

Edited by Lorfean
  • Like 2

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

It would be a nice surprise if Obsidian got a shot at another "inbetweener" Fallout while Beth polishes their next mainstream blockbuster scifi-TES - or what ever it is they're doing - which, as far as I'm concerned, they can keep polishing until the next ice age.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is definitely not the game Obsidian is announcing, but I wonder if they are in good terms with Ubisoft now, after South Park, that they could probably consider a mid budget sequel to the B.A.T. series (Ubi published the first 2 games in '90 and '92, so they may own the lisence). Seeing that MMX did at least moderately well, another old school revival could be an interesting prospect (and not least because the concept of the B.A.T. games was ripe with potential for interesting gameplay interactivity, reactivity and storytelling possibilities - while still remaining faithful to the original gameplay and design, of course).

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

2 more days

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Fallout 4.

I couldn't even say how much I want this to happen. Not only because I want another Obsidian made Fallout (I'm not sure I could do another game like Fallout 3 after seeing it done so well in New Vegas), but because I really want Bethesda to press on with TES VI. In my opinion, Skyrim is just a giant tease at what things are to come when the tech can handle it. Well now it can, and having to wait the same length as people did between Oblivion and Skyrim would be kind of disappointing.