Obsidian is working  more or less on 5 games at the moment

- South Park: STOS

- Next-Gen Project (On Cryengine)

- Pillars of Eternity

- Skyforge MMO co-development

- 2nd Kickstarter Project preparation/planning 

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

I don't count Skyforge. It doesn't exist! lalalalalaLALALALALALALALALALA!!!!  :aiee:  :aiee:  :aiee:

Jokes aside, are they co-developing or only have an advisory role?

SP is out this quarter. PoE hopefully later this year. 2nd KS and NG project. If they are co-developing Skyforge, then yes, we do know about all their projects, indeed.

• Like 1

I don't count Skyforge. It doesn't exist! lalalalalaLALALALALALALALALALA!!!!  :aiee:  :aiee:  :aiee:

Jokes aside, are they co-developing or only have an advisory role?

Yes, co-develop. They hired people for it, but those are working FOR Obsidian.

(Including Fallout 2 producer Eric DeMilt who seems to lead the Obsidian side of the project :))

Edited by C2B

I think it will be the second Kickstarter, which is perfectly fine. How should they know in mid December of an announcement in mid March? Maybe I'm wrong, but it would be unusual for a publisher to tell the developer the date they are making the announcement.

• Like 1

I think it will be the second Kickstarter, which is perfectly fine. How should they know in mid December of an announcement in mid March? Maybe I'm wrong, but it would be unusual for a publisher to tell the developer the date they are making the announcement.

No?

Considering its an initial announcement Obsidian would need to prepare for it, like a trailer or demo to show off.  

Taking that argument the same could be said about the kickstarter. Not bound to a marketing shedule why would Obsidian already have decided on an announcement date 4 (the article is from december 19th) months prior?

Aside from the fact that according to the december interview they hadn't even decided on what project to do for the second kickstarter.

Edited by C2B

Which Obsidian game has been announced by a trailer or demo? Usually it's a cover story or press release. Do publisher announce games at the Game Developers Conference? (I don't know).

New Vegas?

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

Which Obsidian game has been announced by a trailer or demo? Usually it's a cover story or press release. Do publisher announce games at the Game Developers Conference? (I don't know).

Fallout: New Vegas, South Park 

A teaser/trailer is a more popular choice nowadays than a simple press release.

Not often about gdc,

Which speaks for the Kickstarter,

Edited by C2B

New Vegas?

Hmm.. gruebel.gif

I think the announcement will be Obsidian developing Fallout 4 for Bethesda, while Bethesda is making The Elder Scrolls VI :p

If only.

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Apparently star citizen was announced at GDC with the kickstarter beginning a few days after. I could only dream of bethesda allowing obsidian to develop Fallout 4 while they worked on Elder Scrolls VI. Even better both of them working on both titles with obsidian handling more of the writing for elder scrolls in black marsh  :brows:

Edited by Metabot
  • Like 1

If it's a new Kickstarter: reasonably interested depending on what it is and whether Obsidian showcases Pillars of Eternity in a much more significant manner before its start.

If it's a next-gen title: skeptical. Obsidian has always struggled with consoles in the past, and I'm worried a new project would be no different there. Before C2B jumps at my throat: I'd be really glad to be proven wrong, I just think there's reason to be skeptical right now.

Both things are in development anyway, so it's just a matter of what gets revealed first.

If it's a new Kickstarter: reasonably interested depending on what it is and whether Obsidian showcases Pillars of Eternity in a much more significant manner before its start.

If it's a next-gen title: skeptical. Obsidian has always struggled with consoles in the past, and I'm worried a new project would be no different there. Before C2B jumps at my throat: I'd be really glad to be proven wrong, I just think there's reason to be skeptical right now.

Both things are in development anyway, so it's just a matter of what gets revealed first.

I think skepticism is a natural response of anyone who has been watching what's going on with the games industry in the last years...

Yep.

Though the reason to be skeptical might be more since the next-gen thing was the replacement project after the 2012 layoffs. Things went fast there.

So, I would lower expectation on what game it's going to be in the end.