Character Creation: Will There Be - Dual/Multi Class or Kits?

I am a huge Baldur's Gate fan, and the best part about Baldur's Gate, aside from the gameplay of course, is it's replayability. And the greatest factor that influences replayability in a game like Baldur's Gate, is customization, something that sets you off from the rest.

In Baldur's Gate, the PC had a variety of specilized kits that pertained to each class. Too me, this and the option to dual-class/multi-class is the one thing that fueled my curiousity, and the desire to play again, to explore different subsets of a character, and to find the perfect mix of powers that suit your needs.

My question is, will the Pillars of Eternity staff be working to incorporate such a system to allow replayability, freedom, and customization to the game?

unkinhead: However, as for the rest you can pretty much bank on, since Josh and the gang are very intent on making the character creation and subsequent development over the levels a varied and creative ride. Obviously, it won't be AD&D or D&D 3.5, but it will be something really nice, I'm sure. :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Well hopefully the mix of options available during level up will allow you to build and tune your own "kit". Despite not having multi-class, these options, plus the skill system, may at least let you "minor" in another class.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Repeat, too lazy to directly link to my previous 3-4 posts in the other threads with the same topic:
- PE does not have Multi-class or Dual-class
- PE seems to have an underlying "Role" system underneath the "Class" system (A Wizard Class can play the Role of a Fighter~ not anywhere as good as a Fighter, but still be able to possibly handle a 1-on-1 situation)
- Conceptually, this means you could potentially build your characters for Multi-Purposes. A Multi-Role Fighter (NOTE/EMPHASIS: Multi-Role, not Multi-Class) could perhaps be a Fighter/Wizard/Ranger, a Fighter with a Bow, a grimoire with some low-level spells that enhances aim/accuracy maybe, and medium armor protection~ or you could build a Dual-Role Wizard, a common example, a Wizard in Full-Plate Armor, maybe even dual-wields and maybe even swaps to Grimoire to place some defensive spells or whatnot. Or aggressive spells.

I've also read some rumors that a Fighter class would be able to use a Grimoire as well (but only capable of some low-level spells). Don't know the accuracy of this one as I've only read about it in some credible member posts here (one of the reasons why I believe it). But it's still a rumor as I haven't followed up on it to read an actual dev comment about it.

Anyways, Role-system underneath the Class system it seems.

No multi classing, not sure about kits but with talents and skills they won't be needed.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm fine with no multi-classing but hope we get a prestige class-like system in the expansion/sequel. 

Personally, I hope there's no need for prestige classes: that the levelling system /abilities etc. are flexible enough for us to build our characters into the kind of things PRCs used to be used for.

• Like 1