The Funny Things Thread.

Rosbjerg

Hands (and feet) are probably among the most difficult things to draw. In my life drawing classes it was recommended to our beginner students to draw them as amorphous mittens as placeholder while they built up their skills of gesture and form for the figure.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Hands (and feet) are probably among the most difficult things to draw. In my life drawing classes it was recommended to our beginner students to draw them as amorphous mittens as placeholder while they built up their skills of gesture and form for the figure.

Yeah I've seen otherwise talented people draw some truly disturbing hands.

It's a real product. And sadly, I want to try it now. :p

(some guy reviewed it, too - he opens the can at about the half way point)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

For one that'll probably appeal to Hurlshot..

io9 - Student Rickrolls his teacher in Quantum Physics paper

QuantumRockRoll_zpsf33d271b.jpg

We've seen creative Rickrolls before, but this one takes the cake. Physics student Sairam Gudiseva Rickrolled his teacher by surreptitiously inserting every word of Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" into — of all things — a quantum physics essay that still makes perfect sense.

This had to have been tedious work. I can't even begin to imagine what it took to line up each word and still put together a fairly cogent assessment of Niels Bohr's contribution to quantum physics. Needless to say, someone clearly has too much time on their hands.

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Rosbjerg: Notice how in the last frame, he actually manages to grab a brief hold of the fence in order to slow down the fall a bit. Wow!

Raithe: That's just brilliant. It reminds me of how James May managed to get fired when he was a motoring journalist. During the early 1980s, May worked as a sub-editor for the Autocar magazine, from which he was dismissed for performing a prank, where he hid a rude message in the initial letters of some road test year book: "So you think it's really good, yeah? You should try making the bloody thing up. It's a real pain in the arse."

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

For one that'll probably appeal to Hurlshot..

We've seen creative Rickrolls before, but this one takes the cake. Physics student Sairam Gudiseva Rickrolled his teacher by surreptitiously inserting every word of Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" into — of all things — a quantum physics essay that still makes perfect sense.

This had to have been tedious work. I can't even begin to imagine what it took to line up each word and still put together a fairly cogent assessment of Niels Bohr's contribution to quantum physics. Needless to say, someone clearly has too much time on their hands.

I'd probably blast it for not using any paragraphs :p

• Like 1

2010-03-21.jpg

• Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I think Patricia Hernandez might more usefully be deployed assisting actual rape survivors in Syria.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"The makers of Sesame Street released a statement saying Bert and Ernie aren't gay because puppets don't have sexual orientations."

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."