So, since it's pretty likely that we're getting some more stretch-goals that will involve two more companions being added to the roster I thought I'd throw out my hopes for what one of them might be.

Everybody loved these guys:

Morte.jpg     

Ico_okku.jpg

One_of_Many_SS_111811_185940.jpg

These companions are not the sort of creatures or people you would normally find it in your party. They are downright strange.

Every single announced companion has either been an elf, human or one of the usual suspects.
There might be an unusual companion already planned and not announced, but I'll just put the idea and hope out there for one of the stretch-goal companions to come in a surprising form if one isn't already in.

Hey, maybe we could get one of these guys as a companion:

pe-vithrack-580.jpg

Illithids are cool. Spiders are cool. Spider Illithids should be double-cool.

• Like 6

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

+ 1 vote for Spider Illithid! Though that may require too much extra writing if they have to make his presence believable within towns and cities etc i doubt the denizens of this world are quite as tolerant as those in PS:T ... although a disguise could work.

Actually I found the skull to be fairly annoying.  That said a few companions that are outside of the "norms" would be nice but try not to be different for the sake of being different which is really just another form of cliche.

• Like 5

I don't think there was any 'normal' companion in PT or MOB.

Even the bald girl had bizzare backstory...

I do hope they will give us at least one crazy creature in this one.

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

All for variety in the virtual people I choose to associate with all for it.

Spider Illithid, Illithid bit by a Spider or Spider bit by an Illithid?

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

I agree that those were some very pleasing companions, with their unique appearance and gameplay. However i'd say that what was most interesting were the personalities behind them, distinct, deep and very different. Thus i'd say that we may have a companion who appears quite normal, but is beneath the flesh as strange and unique as any man or woman can be.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

sounds gimmicky. You better have a good reason for your strange companion to fit the game. (and still be considered strange)

• Like 5

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I guess I fall in with JFSOCC, Nonek and the others: no weird companion just for the sake of having a weird companion. Hell, it's happened enough in RPGs that it's (as noted by Karkarov) just a cliche. If the devs come up with a really compelling story reason for this type of companion and give him/her/it an awesome personality and back story, then I'll be all in.

• Like 3

If the devs come up with a really compelling story reason for this type of companion and give him/her/it an awesome personality and back story, then I'll be all in.

Do you honestly expect them not to?

That they'll just throw in a companion for the hell of it and give him no personality or back-story?

The examples I gave, Morte, One of Many and Okku were all intrinsically linked to the plot and PC in PS:T and MotB. They all had interesting personalities and dialogue and were fantastic to converse with. Those are the sort of companions I was thinking of.

• Like 3

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

I really liked Deakin though. Not every bard have to be annoying...

Come to think about it ,Obsidians' games always had unique side charecters ,even KOTOR2 .

Its' kinda what they are best at. Bioware for example has its' ups and downs (I still remember the horror of DA2 with this scary gay Emo elf who was just forced on you).

• Like 3

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

I wouldn't mind having a PE-version of an Ulitharid as companion.

PC: Hey Uly, remember when we were fighting those undead and one of your tentacles got stuck in that female lich's...
Uly the Ulitharid: *PSI BLAST*
PC: ..........*writhes around on the floor and drools*

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Do you honestly expect them not to?

That they'll just throw in a companion for the hell of it and give him no personality or back-story?

The examples I gave, Morte, One of Many and Okku were all intrinsically linked to the plot and PC in PS:T and MotB. They all had interesting personalities and dialogue and were fantastic to converse with. Those are the sort of companions I was thinking of.

No, I'd be all for that. What I don't want to see is something like what suggestions you'll see tossed around when this subject comes up: undead, creatures that tend to feed/prey on the regular denizens of the world (with apologies to Woldan and others, but Ulitharid? No thanks), etc.

I have faith in Obsidian that they'll put a lot of time and work into any companion they come up with, but to be honest, I'd really just like to see them stay away from from the bizarre and weird. To me that would be a breath of fresh air. Of course, when all is said and done, as long as I'm not forced to use them, then they can put 'em in if they want. I can just ignore them if I don't like them.

Great posts, folks! I just hope we wouldn't run into some holier than thou companion steeped in repetitive urgency, Zhjaeve in NWN2, I'm gawking at you. Know that such NPCs will be great cannon fodder.

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I had a vision and ideas for some companions

• A seductive and salacious female dark elf who is an outcast from her underground realm who attempts to draw you to the side of darkness and help her reclaim her ancestral power and wealth
  • A voluptuous and exuberant female pirate captain who is interested in destroying all current pirate lords and leaders in the region and doesn't care who she has to manipulate to achieve this objective
  • A swamp witch blessed with unparalleled beauty who joins your party and tries to influence you to summon an ancient and banished god.. this could lead to the next event in the PoE gaming world

Clever and original companions hey guys :aiee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

@BruceVC, you need to get out more. Srsly

Nah I would rather bond with all my good friends, like you, on this forum. Imagine how miserable you would be if we couldn't discuss the importance of Romance in PoE :wub:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

• A seductive and salacious female dark elf who is an outcast from her underground realm who attempts to draw you to the side of darkness and help her reclaim her ancestral power and wealth
  • A voluptuous and exuberant female pirate captain who is interested in destroying all current pirate lords and leaders in the region and doesn't care who she has to manipulate to achieve this objective
  • A swamp witch blessed with unparalleled beauty who joins your party and tries to influence you to summon an ancient and banished god.. this could lead to the next event in the PoE gaming world

I hope that you were ironic, coz in order this is basically:

1) Nathyrra in NWN 1

2) Bêlit in Conan the Barbarian (a Howard character, in fact)

3) Morrigan in Dragon Age

:yes:

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I hope that you were ironic, coz in order this is basically:

1) Nathyrra in NWN 1

2) Bêlit in Conan the Barbarian (a Howard character, in fact)

3) Morrigan in Dragon Age

:yes:

I was thinking more Viconia and Isabela with a twist  but your ones work just as well 8)

• Like 1

John Milton 

This game seems to be pretty standard in presentation, only getting stranger as you really dive in to learn about things. I imagine most, if not all companions will follow that trend. Character designs work best if they fit their universe. All of the oddballs in Planescape worked just fine because of where the game took place.