Class and Race of your main toon. Poll.

Class of your main toon   

537 members have voted

1. 1. Class of your main toon

2. 2. Race of your main toon

i like dwarves, and i like monks, i generally don't play a dwarven monk, as they tend to be unviable.  so i am going to put the diversity to the test, as not only is that combination weak usually, but agile combatants that win by smarts will put the tactical aspect of the combat system through its paces as well.

• Like 1

I'll probably go with a human or elven wizard (or cipher) as my first character. After that, who knows? Probably some wacky and weird build/race. :unsure::grin:

My first character however always end up being a spellcaster of some sort for this kind of games. :sorcerer:

You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin

:cat:

Definitely going to go Chanter first. I am still debating on Godlike, but I am more than likely going to do it. With the parent race I am debating between a Dwarf, an Amaua, or an Orlan. I am leaning toward Dwarf at the moment. A Dwarf Godlike that spews out ancient words of power sound pretty amazing.

I want the cliche Scottish accent to go along with the dwarf lol. A drunken Sean Connery reading lines from Beowulf sounds like a blast. J/k

I definitely want to know more about the races, their histories, and their proclivities before narrowing the race down though.

• Like 5

You know, I can't really say right now what I'll choose. These days, it depends as much on what I've been playing recently in other games as it does on anything else, since I like to mix it up. Back in the IE-game days, it was easy, and I'd always start off with a fighter/rogue (either or dual) but I've since left that behind. With the different sorts of classes and races available in PoE, I think I'll wait until they've been set in stone before putting too much thought into character builds.

I will see whether either of these two characters (assuming that is what Toon means) are viable under the Poe rule system:

1. A hulking brute of great thews and little culture or intelligence, hits like a sledgehammer due to his high strength and has a natural viciousness and a seemingly innate grasp of combat, perhaps born of a warrior culture or maybe even a simple farmers lad. Is stubborn and hard headed but easily manipulated, usually relies on his strength and toughness to pull him out of any situation. Is an extremely straightforward talker, says what he means and damns the consequences, whether talking to a beggar or a king.

2. A Raistlin like character, whose health is shattered and body wasted away but whose intellect and willpower is as iron. A manipulator and showman, whose cold perceptive eyes are like mirrors, they only show what the beholder wishes to see and nothing of himself. Immaculate manners and a cool calm disposition hide the fires that rage within him.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I agree Mr Obsidian, still made quite a memorable and effective character though, however I would stress that mine will be "like" Raistlin not a copy. He will possess none of the moodiness, whining, adherance to an order or belief in the gods that Raistlin does, merely the same physical weakness and strong mind. In Arcanum he would for instance have taken the Miracle Cure background.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I already mentioned in another thread thay I'm usually playing as a mage, but this time I might go with a Cipher (because it's even more specific to this universe). So it's either a Cipher or a Wizard and I'm leaning more towards the former =)

As a race, I'll probably choose a Godlike Aumaua or Orlan, wanna try out the new races first.

Edited by Reever

I tend to prefer my Main to be a class that isn't available as a (scripted) companion, at least the first time, so I can check out as many classes at once. And since we're still not sure how many companions there will be in the final game .... I haven't really decided, and probably won't until I can actually view the chr. selection options.

In rpg's I typically enjoy ranged classes and/or monk's (or fighter/mage types - not Paladins - when available). We'll see.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Rogues tend to be my go-to first plays, just because I hate coming across checks I can't beat. I'd be tempted to go Godlike for a pair of donkey ears so I can show off my lazy use of literary references, though ultimately that's going to depend on the mechanics. 

Doing a trawl through the combinations though I think I'm actually rather taken with playing a Wild Orlan Barbarian. I know it's playing to stereotype, the Orlans have a hard time about that as is, but I think I like some of the role-play implications. 

Once all that's done though I'm resurrecting my justice god zealot to show those Nancy-boy Paladins how you're supposed to smite evil. 

• Like 1

An elven priest interests me. Elven due to living old. Priest as I sure love healing. That and I haven't yet played such a character in Baldur's Gate. I already tried mages, warriors, bards and rogues, half-elves, humans and that's about it. I'm currently playing a halfling priest in a D&D tabletop game and DM a game occasionally.

Eternity intrigues me and I will always play the opposite gender :)

It's a little hard to tell what I'm going to play first at this point. I think I'll only know for certain when the game is out and the character creation screen is right in front of me!

That being said, I'm really interested in the chanter class! Looks like so much fun, I love the concept. Ciphers also look interesting and unique. I will also probably play a good ol' ranger at some point, mainly because every time I've played one in an RPG, it's been an entertaining experience. Plus I love spending time surrounded by nature, and being friends with animals. ♥

As for the race, I voted human, but we'll see.

Earlier I was thinking of classic elven rogue, but more thought I've given to this, I've decided to play cipher first time. The class concept sounds utterly fascinating. I think it may not be the easiest choise for a first playthrough, but when eternity is all about souls and ciphers can manipulate souls of others...

Though to bring some familiarity to the concept I'm playing elf first time. Although it can't be denied that Orlan race sounds really intriguing and they seem to have some common history with elves. Plus its always fun to play the underdog... According to wiki orlans are generally looked down by other races than elves. So definitely either elf or orlan for my race. Heck more i think this, more i'm leaning towards Orlans :)

Edited by Carados

• 2 weeks later...

I'll probably go for an Orlan rogue with a personality/borderline disorder. "You want me help? You got it?" "You want me make heroic deed? Beat it, dwerp!"... That sort of character (guess it used to be called chaotic neutral).

Gotta say the cipher looks pretty sweet as well. My first pick in CRPG's usually end up being wizards or rogues to make most use of intelligence or charisma based skills which makes for a great RP experience (conversation skills, tinkering with traps and gadgets and things like that). 

Ah liked the Godwhatsit for originality and the aquamen have their Deep Ones appeal but Pale Elves with a Frisian-inspired language are too cool to pass up. An I usually hate elves.

On a semi-related note (doesn't seem worth a new thread) any locals or team members can give me an idea how the following party composition will sit? I'm wondering what the strenghts and weaknesses of such a party composition would be:

PC = Cipher

Barbarian

Monk

Druid

Priest

Ranger

Are there any areas of functionality like DPS or durability where this party would be overkill? Any areas it's especially weak like trap-dismantling or stealth? My thinking was: Cipher b/c it's an original class, gotta sink my teeth into that, Barbarian + Monk b/c they're the off-beat melee men, Druid and Priest for likewise being the shorter-list more specialized (potent?) spellcasters, and Ranger for dat dps (in my experience range is worth more than backstabbing). How does the anti-thesis of this party stand in balance

Chanter

Rogue

Wizard

Fighter

Paladin

Chanter and Rogue would overlap in trap handling, stealth, etc. ah reckon making them either redundant or needing to specialize in different ways. Chanter + Paladin might mean some strong buff stacking while the Fighter and Paladin have to pull a lot of tanking weight for a squishy party. The Wizard and Fighter in being more straight might be able to carry more in their roles than more multi-role classes, though this's all specialization.

If ah were to swap-out a class from the build ah currently have in mind it'd probably be the Druid, with his hippiemancy, for the Paladin, to gain another frontline fighter, the versatility of his healing + the priest's, and some group-buffs. But ah speculate classes not meant to buff the group are stronger in their roles for balance-sake.

On a related note, who can take the pain the best? The fighter with his stamina regeneration? Barbarians with their health:stamina ratio reduction? Or Monks with their wound-hacks?

When it comes time to actually play ah'm not looking for an optimized party. I'll probably keep party-members around (or kick them) just based on how much ah like the characters. In that regard, any mercenary-thug archetype characters in the tradition of Korgan, Hk-47, Black Whirlwind, and Wrex? Any Love Interests among the fem party members?

post-91082-0-66577100-1391027062_thumb.jpg

• Like 1