There's no reason that lack of inhibition by some players should be a reason to punish and control everybody else. Just agree with yourself not to change the settings, then stick with it.

Hi, welcome to PE. The game engineered from the ground up to remove this terrible responsibility.

Just agree with yourself not to change the settings, then stick with it.

Isn't that what expert IS for?

Just like Ironmode, it's a tool to help you prevent breaking your own promises.

If you can just flip it off with a switch ingame, the tool to achieve this has just become useless. And the entire expert mode can be scrapped in favor of "people just agreeing with themselves" since about every option there is is just to enforce that on players.

"I want hardcore dead"... "nah, too hard, let's just switch it off for now"

Well, there you go, you've just murdered the sole reason why Expert mode exist in the first place. If people trusted themselves to limit themselves, such options wouldn't be needed in the first place.

I thought it was a tool to add additional behaviors and functionality to the game.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Yes, but what use is a tool that keeps you fixed to X if you can just disable it at will?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

AS an option, no issues for it, though I find it lame. If experience is such a turnoff to you perhaps you shouldn't be playing RPGs but adventure games. RPGs  are largely about  the character and leveling up is a part of that. Yeah, story, role-playing, C&C, and npc are all a part of it as well but it seems odd that people are always trying to make role-playing games less like role-playing games.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yes, but what use is a tool that keeps you fixed to X if you can just disable it at will?

Right, so, like I said, just add an option to "Lock all options" for the remainder of the game. Then it's your choice in how you want to play, not your choice in how I play.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

AS an option, no issues for it, though I find it lame. If experience is such a turnoff to you perhaps you shouldn't be playing RPGs but adventure games. RPGs  are largely about  the character and leveling up is a part of that. Yeah, story, role-playing, C&C, and npc are all a part of it as well but it seems odd that people are always trying to make role-playing games less like role-playing games.

Also playing is about being in control i.e. why many don't like games overloaded with cutscenese(feeling that they are passive backsit players), why jekry nwn2 camera received so much criticism(it was excruciating to get sense of the situation) or why many choose turnbase, less party members or protagonist with direct control.

Which is why I don't get all that hiding the numbers kind of crap. Most of the info would be crucial for the continues enjoyment of the vast majoirty of players. (Unless it will be supplemented by some other means of feedback, of which I haven't seen any indication).

AS an option, no issues for it, though I find it lame. If experience is such a turnoff to you perhaps you shouldn't be playing RPGs but adventure games.

I don't really understand this reaction. The option isn't presented as "oh man, experience is such a turn-off to me!" No pun intended (the option is to literally "turn off" experience, hah!). It's more, "wouldn't it be kind of interesting if you still GOT experience in specific amounts, but didn't really know how much you were getting, and you just leveled up when you leveled up?"

By all means, you're welcome to find the option lame. I just feel like your reason for finding it so lame is kind of... not really matching the intent behind the suggestion for the option in the first place. Is Iron Man Mode lame because continuing after dying is such a turn-off for the people who use that?

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

@Lephys:

I'm pretty sure the reason he finds it lame has nothing to do with logic, and everything to do with an emotional attachment to The Way It Has Always Been. I'd strongly advise against any attempts to question his perspective if you value your time.

Mor, did you even read this thread?

Also, Volourn will be Volourn. Don't try to think too much of reason behind it, for you shall find none.

I still stand by what I said, this sounds like a nice addition, and just turning options on and off from expert mode is like turning Iron Man on and off.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

It is part of previous argument concerning obfuscation, either for 'expert mode' (i.e. 'look ma no hands' mode for people who played the game so much that they know exactly how their playthrough will go) or for increased "RP" value over metagame matters ( i.e. a sandbox-ish style meant to play on easy, so that you can play out with your dream team regardless of "metagame" concerns) or worse just a farce for people to overcome the lure of the metagame?!(as if those people wont alt+tab and google walkthrough\guide\wiki)

It is all nice and well, but for the vast majority those numbers are an important feedback and part of staying in control especially during big fights when all hell breaks loose, and contributing factor to sense of progression.(Mind you, it doesn't have to be numbers any alternative way of feedback will work, personally I would prefer later). So while the idea of more options to satisfy everyone's idiosyncrasyties always get a round of applause, i'd prefer to hear more on what the dev's did with current obfuscation which so far seems like they just disabled a lot of objects before we go disabling any other ways of feedback.

You could have just said 'no'...

• Like 1

^

If I find out after playing a while that a toggle is not to my liking, I don't want to have to restart to change it.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

If I find out after playing a while that a toggle is not to my liking, I don't want to have to restart to change it.

Perhaps the best option is to allow for the ability to turn an option off at some point through a playthrough, but then lock the toggle? After all, it seems reasonable that you might decide you don't want it on, but it doesn't seem very reasonable to continuously change your mind throughout the entire game.

I mean, look at Iron Man Mode. If you can toggle it off and say "nevermind, I don't want to do Iron Man, but I don't want to restart," that seems legit. But, how much sense would it make if you could turn it off, die, reload, get past the tough part, then turn it back on? Furthermore, what would that accomplish other than allowing you to exploit the nature of the mode?

Now, all the individual settings that are PART of Expert Mode? Sure. You can toggle that stuff all day long, I guess. But, if there's a challenge aspect to it (which I'm not entirely certain there is, as there blatantly is with Iron Man Mode), then that shouldn't be toggleable ON during a playthrough. Only OFF.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

• 2 weeks later...

obviously ironman mode is different, but I'm pretty sure yu'll be warned well in advance what you are getting into. You know, what with the name and all.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Yeah, I just mean that, functionally, there's nothing wrong with deciding in the middle of a friendly game of golf (for example) that you no longer wish to keep score. You can keep playing golf as if you never had been keeping score in the first place. However, you'd never be allowed to play 5 unscored holes, then decide you want to start keeping score again, then insist that you won at the end of the game.

There's no reason to prevent you from abandoning the score-keeping in the middle of play, but there's absolutely no reason to allow you to resume score-keeping during play. The abandonment of score-keeping defeats the initial purpose of score-keeping.