• 2 weeks later...

How about instead the physical customization (hair, skin color, face, etc.) ?

You can change the hair colour and skin colour(They are both shown in the inventory screen so I think you can change them (source)) and secondary/primary colour of your clothing. They also have mentioned in Update #41 that you can change hair and facial hair style.

I think the most recent post is this post from november:

Has anything been revealed as far as character appearance customization goes? Can we change our hair/beard/looks during initial character creation?

You'll be able to change all of those elements at a basic level, but we're not doing anything wild for facial customization or anything. Your characters are pretty small, even in the "paper doll" view.

Yeah I'm hoping for either NWN2 numbers of options or a straight up RGB sliders. Though having a few color 'pallets' and letting with a dark/brightness slider to add variation to the 'accepted' colors for any given race would be a nice touch. Lotta options while keeping it all make sense.

• Like 1

Def Con: kills owls dead

• 2 weeks later...

A more in-depth visual character customization is always a good thing. I can live without it being "insanely" detailed though.

All the Infinity games were kinda weak in that aspect, and I don't recall it being an issue(except when bald people weren't bald).

• 2 weeks later...

I think my biggest pet-peeve with character customization is when things are arbitrarily paired. Like, with heads. "Oh, you wanted long hair? Well we've got that... attached to this old wrinkley face! 8D! Oh, you wanted a young face? OBVIOUSLY you want short hair, then, u_u..."

Or, you know, you get lots of super subtle variants of hair or something, but they're all almost the same style. 17 distinct hair options, but 15 of them are mohawks, and one is "no hair/bald." 8P

If you're gonna have only-5 options (because of budgeting/resources/what-have-you), that's fine. Just, use as much of the spectrum as you can with those options. Only three colors, for example? Go with blond, black, and red, or something. Don't go with blond, white, and sandy blond. That's ridiculously lopsided.

And don't arbitrarily pair different feature options together! Like face and hair, or eye shape and face age, or eye shape and color, etc.

/endrant

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 5

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

If you're gonna have only-5 options (because of budgeting/resources/what-have-you), that's fine. Just, use as much of the spectrum as you can with those options. Only three colors, for example? Go with blond, black, and red, or something. Don't go with blond, white, and sandy blond. That's ridiculously lopsided.

I want a full spectrum of beards. Promises were made.

Hair and facial hair are separate from head.  You can set hair and skin tone within a wide set of preset ranges (it's extremely easy to make that look horrible if you just go straight RGB).  The two outfit colors are more open and may be straight RGB.

I approve! For the record (just for what it's worth), I was merely ranting about customization in general in many existing games. I wasn't specifically worried that PoE would be fraught with such snafus. BUT, it's still good to be assured of such things.

Also, I know what you mean about going straight RGB. A lot of games don't realize that just because someone might want blue hair doesn't mean that same person no longer cares what shade of blue the hair is. Those RGB sliders often result in people failing, despite their best efforts, to actually pick a color that both:

A) They want, and

B) Doesn't look horrible

Because not everyone studies color theory and such, and people often pick RGB spectrum colors that, halfway through the game, start blatantly looking really bad in relation to surrounding elements (shades of colors that eliminate all contrast/detail distinction, things that look really weird in lighting, stuff that just seemed to be a different value in the character creation screen than it really is later, etc.)

It's kind of like when you pick a color to paint a room under a fluorescent light, but then you see it in sunlight through your living room window, and go "Ohhhhh... I didn't notice that's kind of purple instead of red... o_o" :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Sounds like oompa loompas are out of the question.

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! *shakes fist furiously at sky*

Also, I know what you mean about going straight RGB. A lot of games don't realize that just because someone might want blue hair doesn't mean that same person no longer cares what shade of blue the hair is. Those RGB sliders often result in people failing, despite their best efforts, to actually pick a color that both:

A) They want, and

B) Doesn't look horrible

As someone of a colour (that's right, i'm Britlish) blind persuasion I have absolutely no idea how any of my characters look, so they probably all look horrible and garish.

• Like 1

There is no 'rolling', only creation.

Sounds like oompa loompas are out of the question.

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! *shakes fist furiously at sky*

A) They want, and

B) Doesn't look horrible

As someone of a colour (that's right, i'm Britlish) blind persuasion I have absolutely no idea how any of my characters look, so they probably all look horrible and garish.

I completely misread that!  I read it as "a person of colour who is blind" which made me think "Forget how your characters look, how the hell do you even manage to play the game??!"  :D  Lack of reading comprehension made your post seem downright epic!

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams