Are there going to be achievements in PoE? Should there?

I don't care. I'm going to play PoE because I like the game, not because I want teh shinyz.

Then why do you have a shiny silver badge under your avatar? huh? HUH!?

... that's actually a very valid point.

There will be achievements on steam because steam requires it.  The GoG version won't have them because GoG doesn't, thank god.

Sorry to inform you, but some devs actually like putting in things you don't. :p

I would love it if achievements were awarded similarly to how most fate points were doled out in Arcanum - in short, for doing interesting and consequential things in the world rather than for completing stages of the main quest (Half-Life 2 is the worst offender in the latter category off the top of my head).

Games for those who like achievements:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/ArmorGames/achievement-unlocked

"Found the sponsor's logo" , "Moved to the left" and other such worthwhile commendations.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/PegasGames/ragdoll-achievement-2

(the 2nd one can actually be a fun time-killer for like 5 minutes).

(^tongue in cheek response, not to be taken seriously as a criticism of those who want sensible achievement records for PE)(Unless they want them in the GOG version too, in which case take it as a criticism :p )

• Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

• 2 weeks later...

Even if achievements are in  PoE game on steam, i don't mind - only if they don't pop up during gameplay. I know they are source of information for developers. But i don't want them to show up when i play. Like for example they can be shown under menu bar after you hit escape key. (Ones that you achieved during this gameplay session)

watcher_zps2e08ddad.jpg

Achievements = Play Game.

Sometimes achievements can add to a game. Example: The Part Where He Kills You in Portal 2, or that one in The Stanley Parable that required breaking into the source code before people figured out how to get it.

Not playing the game for five years is my favorite.

Batman: Arkham City has a good one, too. Seeing the Calendar Man on every holiday. Which reminds me: I forgot Valentine's Day.

I hope the achievements are truly "achievements" in the sense that you put a lot of effort and time in achieving such a goal. I don't want achievements that are like "reach lv. 5". That is not meaningful. An achievement like overcoming a hard task is good though.

Calibrating...

• 4 weeks later...

I hope the achievements are truly "achievements" in the sense that you put a lot of effort and time in achieving such a goal. I don't want achievements that are like "reach lv. 5". That is not meaningful. An achievement like overcoming a hard task is good though.

Reaching certain levels is not something you put time and effort into?

I really like Achievements. They usually give you reasons to go outside your comfort zone or encourage another playthrough.

Obviously, they're not for everyone, but I think it'd be cool if they were in but with a couple of options such as turning them completely off or turning off achievement notifications, etc.

I think it's silly to act like they're antithetical to cRPGs, because there have always been achievement-esque trackers in these kinds of games. Largest amount of damage done, toughest enemy killed, even the notion of gathering XP to gain a 'level' is kind of an achievement. Just because you get a little box that alerts you of completing your already arbitrary challenge, that doesn't somehow cheapen or demean it.

Don't be a bunch of grumpy guses, basically.

• Like 5

Achievements can be a great carrot for some people to try something they wouldn't otherwise try e.g. Beating X encounter using no magic, beating X encounter using only magic, beating X encounter by avoiding combat altogether.

An achievement might be given for getting to a certain point in the game having spent very little time resting or having spent little money.

I must admit though, I wish they didn't flash up on your screen in such an obvious way.

In BG2 I love to periodically check my characters records for their most powerful vanquished (also, gotta love the word 'vanquished', you just don't see it much anymore eh?)

I'm not really one for achievements personally but I can see the attraction and sometimes I'll go out of my way, especially if they've got cool names, it's an excellent chance for some funny cultural references :)

Crit happens

^ It is rather nice when they're challenges in some form or fashion.

A perfect example of achievements that irk me are like "Play the game for 25 hours!"

Left the game paused and turned off your monitor for a day? ACHIEVEMENT!

Or, better yet, a worst-offender from FTL (Which I love, btw... just not this achievement):

I can't remember what it's called, but the achievement is "Fail to dodge 5 shots in a row with maximum engine (dodge-boosting) upgrades."

... So, the achievement is basically "Congratulations! Something completely beyond your control happened to occur!"

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I would say that I personally wouldn't like to see achievements in this game. They certainly have their place but a CRPG is not really where I'd appreciate them. It'd feel to me like a DM trying to grip you by the nose and pull you through her idea of what your campaign is.

I love sensible and creative steam achievements, but the basic "simply playing the game" achievements offer nothing to the game.

Also, pretty sure its not a hard rule that every game on steam REQUIRES achievements to be in the store but its definitely encouraged.

Plus, steam achievements are part of the overlay. Personally I like those popups, but I'm almost certain you can disable the overlay in steam settings.

Well, 'simply play the game' allows devs to see how far people generally got, so they're not entirely useless (combined with a 'start the game' achiev to weed out people who haven't even booted up the game, since I generally notice that's around 25% if not more).

And yes, ingame (Mass Effect) can be annoying. Saint's Row III and IV it's a bit too, but atleast they give ingame rewards like credits and XP aside from being just total fluff, making them slightly more bearable.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Well, 'simply play the game' allows devs to see how far people generally got, so they're not entirely useless (combined with a 'start the game' achiev to weed out people who haven't even booted up the game, since I generally notice that's around 25% if not more).

True. It's just that the "achievement" label is rather arbitrary at that point.

I mean, I can look at a friend's Xbox Live profile and look at his Achievement list for a particular game, and it'll show me how far he's gotten. But then, I don't really care if I'm looking at an "achievement" list or if I were just looking at some kind of Game Progress page.

The function would be the same, without arbitrarily lumping mere progress through a game to be in the same boat as specific "achievements."

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

It's a way of data gathering that people seem to accept more than actual data-gathering (for obvious reason).

And I guess people prefer getting 'achievements' rather than 'game progress badges'

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee