Are there going to be achievements in PoE? Should there?

Some people love them, some people hate them.  I count myself among the former, because they sometimes push me to try new gameplay modes and different challenges.  They can also extend the life of a game, or just be a pointless grind.

I'd favor them, but wouldn't be howling at the sky in frustration if they weren't in.

It really depends on the type of game. I'm not sure if it fits for P:E.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Rarely do achievements make me feel warm and fuzzy. About the only time I ever cared to strive for them was with StarCraft II. One possible exception might be Neverwinter Nights 2. The "History" feats made my inner completionist twitch, and I found myself attempting to get them. It may have also been my inner munchkin as well, as with Storm of Zehir they did confer bonuses. If achievements are to be included, I'd like them to be handled as they were in SoZ.

• Like 2

I don't care if they give bonuses or not, I'm more interested in them just being interesting or creative. Not the typical "Complete X Quest" or "Reach X Level." Those sorts of achievements are basically just one big "played the game from start to finish" achievement.

• Like 4

Achievements = Play Game.

Actually, when you get to the Main Menu of the game, it should say "Achieve Game" rather than "Start Game". Then you should get an Achievement for it, you should get an Achievement by simply hovering the mouse-button over the option, and an Achievement when you click it. Then after the forced first cut-scene you should get yet another Achievement.

Of course not, I hate Achievements like that. In fact, they seem to be everywhere. Please don't. They make no sense. Achievements shouldn't even be present in the game until you get to late-game. But then again, low- and mid-tier achievements might give incentive for Players to keep playing "I'll stop playing after finishing this...cool! An achievement! Guess I'll continue for a while" or something what do I know.

I really got hooked into Bastion recently (like, super hooked). It has 3 or 4 high-tier Steam Achievements (Defeat this at X difficulty with Y conditions). But many of its Steam achievements are also in-game rewarding achievements (One of the buildings in it that you can build; the Vigil). Rewarding Achievements are nice.

I don't chase achievements (though, if a game is really good and I'm having a blast with it I tend to look them up), I think they ruin the experience by popping up in your face amidst playing and they are often somewhat "meta" in nature. They also spoil progress by being available to the player pre-gaming.

But it's also wise to consider that Achievements are a norm in this day and age.

What I'd want:
- Rewarding Achievements
- Narrated Achievements
- High-Tier Achievements (Difficult Challenges)
- Secret or Hidden Achievements (Not even an unexplainable "?" in the Steam "Show Achievements" list. In-Game only)
- Creative Achievements

What I don't want:
- NPC: "Do you accept this Quest?" Me: "Yes" Game: "Achievement!!!"
- Pop-Ups

I'd really not want Achievements at all, but if they are going to be in then so be it.

• Like 3

They're not my favorite thing and bring out OCD tendencies in some of us, But they're harmless and some people really enjoy them. Not like they're micro-transactions or Day One DLCs.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

No they are not Leferd (harmfull that is), but they can be annoying and MANY are outright dumb.

Example of many general achievements in most games:
"There is a door, a single door, you have to pass it to get to the other side. It is the only way to go through because the game is designed that way. You open the door. Achievement!!!!"

Or when you gain a level "You gained a level! Here's a cookie achievement for you!" *pat pat* "Who's a good boy? Yes you! You are a good boy yes!" *woof woof*.

But on the other hand, I wouldn't mind getting an achievement for finding a secret door leading to the same room but might give me favorable positioning.

Definition of Achievement, I want it to stand for what #2 defines it as. Achievements should be for executing moves and positioning skillfully, rather than just casually playing the game.

Best memorable examples I have encountered that has a good Achievement systems (imo):
- Risk of Rain
- Bastion

And...err... go get them! Two amazing and awesome games. So...yeah. Do iiiit! :p

I don't like pop up achievments when playing games, especially not when i want to immerse myself in a rpg. As long as they don't pop up when you are playing i can live with them.

You might as well complain about experience point notifications, how are those immersive? When you read a book do you get notified about how much experience you gained for reading for an hour? Achievement notifications are part and parcel if you're playing a non-GOG version of a game.

No they are not Leferd (harmfull that is), but they can be annoying and MANY are outright dumb.

Example of many general achievements in most games:

"There is a door, a single door, you have to pass it to get to the other side. It is the only way to go through because the game is designed that way. You open the door. Achievement!!!!"

Or when you gain a level "You gained a level! Here's a cookie achievement for you!" *pat pat* "Who's a good boy? Yes you! You are a good boy yes!" *woof woof*.

But on the other hand, I wouldn't mind getting an achievement for finding a secret door leading to the same room but might give me favorable positioning.

Definition of Achievement, I want it to stand for what #2 defines it as. Achievements should be for executing moves and positioning skillfully, rather than just casually playing the game.

Best memorable examples I have encountered that has a good Achievement systems (imo):

- Risk of Rain

- Bastion

And...err... go get them! Two amazing and awesome games. So...yeah. Do iiiit! :p

Bastion's achievements are just "Completed X Level"/"Completed X Level at X/Y Difficulty" with a different name. And also "Fully upgrade every weapon."

Team Fortress 2 is what i'd point to for interesting achievements, although since it's a multiplayer FPS most of the concepts aren't applicable.

Edited by AGX-17

When I see in-game 'achievements', I think "everybody and their mother probably already has this, so why should I care?". The levels in a class-based game already provide a sense of accomplishment. I suppose if the achievements you've gained unlock new abilities at level up, then it would matter.

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I care about in game choices and consequences. If there are some virtual trophies in the main menu or in the DRM system of choice, I really don't care unless they cause messages showing up in game. Which would be very, very bad and turn my stance on this from "I don't care" to "do not want".

• Like 1

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Some achievements, like use such and such weapon, encourage players to step outside their comfort zone.  I had a blast with explosives in F:NV because I was trying to get the explosive achievement.  Stacking's in game goals were great, they encouraged lateral thinking, as you tried to figure out every solution to the puzzles, not just your own.  Just Cause 2's achievements are really fun (wrecking ball kills), and encourage diverse gameplay.  Eversion even gets you to hack the game.  

Bastion's are mostly play the game, except the optional battles.  They're difficult.

I'd prefer not.

Of course, since I don't care about them and never pay them any attention, it matters little to me. However, if they are present, I'd like an "turn achievements off" mode. I remember how annoying it was in Dragon Age: Origins when suddenly an achievement badge would flash on the screen while I was utterly involved in the game.

Edited by TMZuk
  • Like 1

I really enjoy looking at numbers, I like "real" achievements but I feel the industry in general caters to the average gamer and they often include a lot of fluff that doesn't really showcase any skills or talent.

Achievements absolutely extend the maximum playing time for someone like me who tends to enjoy the chase for certain distinctions, so for that reason I'll have to say I'd like to see them.

Regardless of what happens, I'll gladly take a detailed statistics screen for my own musing.

I don't care. I'm going to play PoE because I like the game, not because I want teh shinyz.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I would much rather achievements were covered in game in a more immersive manner, e.g. complete a series of quests for some guild and aswel as the awesome loot receive a medal which confers some kind of rep boost with certain factions. Not some silly meaningless popup.

Not all that bothered though to be honest and hopefully the boxed copy doesn't require steam and I do remember the DA:O ones being a touch annoying (though not as annoying as the game itself) I have high standards for cRPGs I'm afraid lol.

Possibly it could be interesting to have in-universe achievements be linked to the deities in the game, or at least the temples of the deities. That is to say, you go to a temple and ask what you need to do to support the associated deity. The priests say the deity would look favorably upon you if you did X, where X is something within the portfolio of that god. As an example, for a god of war, this may be challenging and winning a battle single-handedly against a particular opponent. Upon succeeding, you then get an atta-boy from the deity, which perhaps gives you some minor benefit.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."