I searched through the forum trying to find a topic specifically about this, but couldn't find a whole lot besides a few mentions here and there (unless we're using another word lol). 

I swear I used to know this, but will their be faction reputation in the game and how will factions work? I'd love if factions were a huge part of this game like Fallout: New Vegas but even more in-depth.

Factions are in and an integral part of the story.

There are certainly some threads on factions (like the one in my signature)

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

yes

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Well, they've said that even 1/2 a point of damage will be kept up with, so...

OHhhhhh, FAC-tions... Sorry. 8)

In seriousness, I believe factions will play just as important of a role as in any other fantasy world with groups of people in it. We DO know that individuals amongst the ranks of a given faction will still have their own reactions to you -- based on their own mindsets and personality, etc. -- despite/in addition to their faction's view of you (or at least what they've heard of you.)

So, basically, entire factions may encourage everyone in their ranks to think a certain way about you, but that doesn't just override their own individual minds and make them a bunch of robots who are all going to react the same way no matter what you do.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

"As in Fallout: New Vegas, we track faction reputation. We also track your personality reputation, which is the sum of how you generally behave. If you are consistently diplomatic, hot-tempered, stoic, or cruel, we want you to feel like you are developing a reputation for being that kind of character in the world. "

Found this in the gamebanshee interview. I hope that this will affect how certain quests play out and what quests become available or something like that.

Edited by Metabot

I always like when groups recognise when you help or hinder them. NPC's who start of cold eventually welcome you with open arms.

Would be nice to see a member of the faction end up betraying you and you fall for because you were friends. While his faction are good people the individual can still be malicious.

Although part of the enjoyment from reputation systems does come from saving the game then going on a killing spree and watching the reaction of those who loved you turn to hate.

We've all done it when stuck on a quest or get annoyed by an NPC.

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

What about joining and even becoming leader of a given faction ?

(I have a mixed feeling about this,... in the Elder Scroll games, I liked ending up as a leader of every known and less know faction just as much as I disliked people completely ignoring  that fact in their dialogues and instead still spoke to the character as a random dirty adventurer.)

What about joining and even becoming leader of a given faction ?

(I have a mixed feeling about this,... in the Elder Scroll games, I liked ending up as a leader of every known and less know faction just as much as I disliked people completely ignoring  that fact in their dialogues and instead still spoke to the character as a random dirty adventurer.)

That works because Elder Scrolls games are essentially sandboxes. I believe there is a fine line between complete freedom (which leads to the incongruencies you describe) and freedom within a storyline, if you catch my drift. If there are factions, faction relations should play a big part, and if the Thieves Guild and the Assassin's Guild despise each other they should be kinda exclusive. This, of course, ties in with follower relations too. 

While on the subject, I'd like to see mingling and interaction between the various factions/neutrals/etc., that goes beyond "we are x and hate y". I think it would make them feel less artificial and maybe more connected with the world.

• Like 1