***Okay so I must say that the only reason I made this thread is because I have seen far too many threads suggesting to make a Console Port etc.***

The fact of the matter is that I "invested" nearly two-hundred dollars into this project for a PC Exclusive game and nothing else. I do feel empathy for the console gamer's, but with a tight budget, Isometric CRPG origins/style/gameplay, and the fact that console licenses are skyrocketing through the roof right now due to the next generation being released means it would not only over burden these developers that are acting alone with no publisher, but would also give the industry another example of the death of true WRPG's. Those of you who promoting a console release need to realize that it would not be in Obsidian's best interest as a respected studio to do something of that regard.

P.S Most of the fellow gamer's that are suggesting said course of action have not even played the vary Titles (BGI, BGII & TOB expansion, and/or even Planescape Torment) which their is no excuse as to why when I'm only fifteen and have played all of them (for hours).

• Like 3

Chill down, the probability of them making this a console game is very close to 0. They simply don't have the money at the moment.

The developers have in many different interviews stated that the whole point of this project is to make a low budget pc game intended to be played as IE games did, with a mouse and click.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-05-project-eternity-as-a-series-could-run-for-eternity

From what i gathered, only if it is very well received by the public when it comes out, a publisher might show up that will offer a lot of money for a sequel. Only then, the sequel may or may not get ported to consoles as well.

Edited by Cubiq

You can relax. The genre is called cRPG for a reason. Obsidian guys are not stupid, they've seen the track record. There was that infamous situation with BG1 and PS1 and after that failiure (but leaked version is still floating around) consecutive IE titles stayed on their home ground. Same deal with AE titles. There was a recent attempt to bring Witcher 1 to consoles (which could've worked in retrospect since Witcher was not as hardcore as NWN) but still ended in failiure.

***Okay so I must say that the only reason I made this thread is because I have seen far too many threads suggesting to make a Console Port etc.***

The fact of the matter is that I "invested" nearly two-hundred dollars into this project for a PC Exclusive game and nothing else. I do feel empathy for the console gamer's, but with a tight budget, Isometric CRPG origins/style/gameplay, and the fact that console licenses are skyrocketing through the roof right now due to the next generation being released means it would not only over burden these developers that are acting alone with no publisher, but would also give the industry another example of the death of true WRPG's. Those of you who promoting a console release need to realize that it would not be in Obsidian's best interest as a respected studio to do something of that regard.

P.S Most of the fellow gamer's that are suggesting said course of action have not even played the vary Titles (BGI, BGII & TOB expansion, and/or even Planescape Torment) which their is no excuse as to why when I'm only fifteen and have played all of them (for hours).

First the developers said specifically in the kickstarter they were creating a PC game. Next, I don't feel it's a negative thing to ask for console versions of the game. I think that's a really narrow minded PC elitist mindset that thinks pointing a mouse and punching 1,2,3,4, or a handful of letters on a keyboard in a game that isn't doing anything cutting edge in the technology department should need to be on PC only. On twitter I follow dozens of developers who make PC games who have tiny indie offices up to big studios and I'm consistently reading how easy it is to create their PC game in weeks to a couple of months now on the PS4 and Xbone. It wasn't possible to make those kinds of games on consoles 10 years ago. Now a days you absolutely can, and most consoles have the option of using keyboard and mouse now if that was really  a necessity. It just is more difficult to play that way 10 feet from your TV screen than 12 inches on your monitor.

"and the fact that console licenses are skyrocketing through the roof right now due to the next generation being released means it would not only over burden these developers that are acting alone with no publisher, but would also give the industry another example of the death of true WRPG's. "

What are you talking about? The licenses this gen are way cheaper than they were last gen. Why do you think there's so many indie dev's creating games on the PS4 and why do you think Sony pushed indie development so hard this year? Those indies are the guys with the tiniest budgets, yet those are the most games we see out there right now... Also the time to have a playable game on PS4 from 0 to playable is 2-12 weeks now, not 9-12 months like it used to be. The game Warframe was on PC first, and it took them 3 months to bring it to the PS4 including enhancing it. That's pretty impressive.

I have no problem playing this game on PC, and maybe even buying it again on console if it comes out for it. Some games i've bought 3 times because I've enjoyed it so much. I just can't see this game only being on PC and being anything special that the Xbone or PS4 can't do at least as good, and maybe even better than some PC's out there. It would also save the dev's a lot of time because on PC you have a thousand different audio and video cards, and other systems you have to account for when play testing. Not to mention Obsidian's record of releasing buggy and unfinished games aren't exactly a secret. On the consoles you can create one solid version and you're good to go.

Chill down, the probability of them making this a console game is very close to 0. They simply don't have the money at the moment.

The developers have in many different interviews stated that the whole point of this project is to make a low budget pc game intended to be played as IE games did, with a mouse and click.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-05-project-eternity-as-a-series-could-run-for-eternity

From what i gathered, only if it is very well received by the public when it comes out, a publisher might show up that will offer a lot of money for a sequel. Only then, the sequel may or may not get ported to consoles as well.

You know what's bonkers to me? Obsidian raised $4 million for this game, and 2 guys from Ironlore who made Titan Quest, which was also a low budget pc game that was basically mouse and click kinda similar to these games, are finishing up a spiritual successor of that game in the next couple of months with a very tiny staff of people that's being made for only $540k and it looks pretty awesome. After playing Titan Quest now from the recent steam sale my expectations are a little higher for what I hope to see in this game. Especially after seeing what they're making on only $540k with a smaller team of folks. Regardless though, it's a good time to be a gamer!

• Like 1

Next, I don't feel it's a negative thing to ask for console versions of the game. I think that's a really narrow minded PC elitist mindset that thinks pointing a mouse and punching 1,2,3,4, or a handful of letters on a keyboard in a game that isn't doing anything cutting edge in the technology department should need to be on PC only.

It's a negative thing because clueless statesments like that turn into a troll thread every time. Look around, they are all over the place.

On twitter I follow dozens of developers who make PC games who have tiny indie offices up to big studios and I'm consistently reading how easy it is to create their PC game in weeks to a couple of months now on the PS4 and Xbone. It wasn't possible to make those kinds of games on consoles 10 years ago. Now a days you absolutely can, and most consoles have the option of using keyboard and mouse now if that was really  a necessity. It just is more difficult to play that way 10 feet from your TV screen than 12 inches on your monitor.

They are not in the business of making cRPGs and they are going to stay that way because K&M do not come in a console package set, therefore console gamers who own K&M are very few in number and it would not be profitabe to make a console game aimed at that limited potential audience.

You know what's bonkers to me? Obsidian raised $4 million for this game, and 2 guys from Ironlore who made Titan Quest, which was also a low budget pc game that was basically mouse and click kinda similar to these games, are finishing up a spiritual successor of that game in the next couple of months with a very tiny staff of people that's being made for only $540k and it looks pretty awesome. After playing Titan Quest now from the recent steam sale my expectations are a little higher for what I hope to see in this game. Especially after seeing what they're making on only $540k with a smaller team of folks. Regardless though, it's a good time to be a gamer!

Titan Quest is pure hack-and-slash game (why is it still called RPG is beyond anyone) which is all you can look forward to if the devs decide to step into the console world. They've already done that before in fact. I'm not suprised that you don't remember Dark Alliance series which was the second attempt to bring BG to consoles. The lesson from PS1 fiasco was learned and this time the game was turned into just another hack-and-slash to accommodate. And this is precisely why cRPGs should stay cRPGs.

well Chris said himself that he is tired of making a frankenstein's monster out of the games just to make them fit for pads. so yes the game will not be on console for that would require a large amount of cutting and stitching parts that do not fit for the pad

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I should go for a Master's in Abnormal Psychology with a study/thesis on this phenomenon of people inventing problems to rage against despite an absence of evidence that such a problem exists, or even the existence of evidence that contradicts such beliefs.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 3

Oh Please GOD!  ***DO NOT make threads flipping out about the possibility of something the devs have repeatedly stated won't happen***

• Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Titan Quest is pure hack-and-slash game (why is it still called RPG is beyond anyone) which is all you can look forward to if the devs decide to step into the console world. They've already done that before in fact. I'm not suprised that you don't remember Dark Alliance series which was the second attempt to bring BG to consoles. The lesson from PS1 fiasco was learned and this time the game was turned into just another hack-and-slash to accommodate. And this is precisely why cRPGs should stay cRPGs.

Exactly! Titan Quest was a hack and slash, i played a demo of it and it played absolutely nothing remotely close to IE games. It had an isometric view, that's about it. You simply can't control a 6 companion party with a controller effectively as you can with a mouse.

I don't even know what you are trying to say here Falkon. Others can design console games however they want, that doesn't mean this one has to be as well.

The backers funded this game because it was specifically said it would feel like an IE game designed for the PC. Not because they want a Diablo clone. It's absolutely NOT the same.

I hated Titan Quest And i don't want Eternity to play anything like it. I want to be able to control a party of characters and command them tactically, than to have a button mashing fest and all other companions beside me just fighting on a.i.

I don't know why you're trying to turn the IE type gameplay in to a Diablo type game. This is not what was advertised and that is not what everyone paid for.

• Like 1

We do not need another thread about this. It isn't happening, Obsidian have made that clear. It's not possible to make this type of game for analogue sticks, maybe with a Ouya/PS4 style pad, or Steampad, but then those emulate mouse without Obsidian needing to do anything. Obsidian would need to change the interface like Bethesda did for their games, making them awful on PC, or dedicated time to make two separate interfaces.

...which was also a low budget pc game that was basically mouse and click kinda similar to these games...

I haven't played Titan Quest but I'm pretty sure it's direct control (hold down to run, move mouse to turn) game like Diablo where you control one person. Games like Diablo require concessions for console ports (less stats, less actions, slower enemies, more directional attacks, less attacks where you aim at an area) but it's possible to make these type of games on consoles and there have been plenty of these games on consoles. They're nothing like games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, you seem completely ignorant of PC gaming for a self-proclaimed PC gamer.

While the developers of Grim Dawn are doing great work, they're not creating the depth and amount of content Obsidian are for Pillars of Eternity, they also started development before the Kickstarter and had gameplay videos for the campaign. It's a completely different style of game, it's like saying Brutal Legend and Civilisation 5 are the same kind of game.

• Like 1

Sorry guys I over reacted...

It's cool.  I'm pretty sure the vast majority of us backers share your view point, though likely with not as much gusto.  It's just that we've been repeatedly been assured that the game is being built with specifically and only PC in mind and everything we've been shown supports that.  Your reaction was just so strong and over the top that it was hard not to poke fun at it.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• 4 weeks later...

I should go for a Master's in Abnormal Psychology with a study/thesis on this phenomenon of people inventing problems to rage against despite an absence of evidence that such a problem exists, or even the existence of evidence that contradicts such beliefs.

This my friend, is just the basis for common Neuroses, you dont need a degree in Abnormal Psychology, as it would imply, in classical Freudian terms schizophreny and Psychiatry , whereas neuroses, where what you asserted is just the norm, involves the fields of Psychology.

Dont worry, people mulling over pre conceived things and then acting upon these pre conceptions is the basis of most normal behavior and to out it succinctly, could be easily transpolated into the eternal hashtag of #firstworldproblems if you want to be funny about it XD

People on survival societies or at the lower end of the economic spectrum tend to have stress generating worries that border on affordability of food, shelter and well being of off-spring.

Worry not then, for what you just wrote against is "normal" XD

Cheers!

Heheheheheheheh eehheheheheeeheheeeee

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Sorry guys I over reacted...

The devs have said they won't use the money to make a console port, and even if they did in the future, how does that affect you? How does it affect you if other people who play on console just happen to want to play this game on console (and please do not respond with "they should buy a PC").

Yes, you over-reacted.

Well, with the innovations of the Steam handheld controller I'm curious if strategy-esque PC games can become more of a reality on console than it has before. The way games like the IE games handle (with PAUSE) makes it possible. It wasn't possible on the Playstation 1 (PSX) but it could be possible today with modern technology.

I am not against the idea of a console port, but I don't think it'd be a wise thing to do at this current time for PoE (i.e. it's nothing they should focus time and energy on).

Edited by Osvir