What to have in this RPG game

Here's a list of interesting things to have in a RPG in my opinion, something I wish even Baldurs Gate 2 had. Hopefully Pillars of Eternity will bring this:

1. Easy matchmaking multiplayer (BattleNet style), with a lobby and you can easily find other players to start a game (even bring a PvP arena option to fight your single player character vs others single players character) Note: Multiplayer experience will stay in the multiplayer

2. Have large scales battles and "castle" battles or regional… be able to hold a stronghold or a city and invade other cities and regions "macro styled"… this would be considered in the "story development and its variables" 

3. Multiclass (I hope Pillars of Eternity allows multi class") - Because I want a Cypher-Mage main hero :p

4. Epic music (Two Steps from Hell style) 

5. Allow to have more roles than an adventurer (own a land, castle)

6. Large dimension maps (like Morrowind or Skyrim etc..) that you can travel in various regions even if its "fast-travel", you feel the map can be endless….. It;s something even Baldurs Gate didn't give me… I always wanted to know I could go beyond the limits and see the rest of the world to the point of forgetting the main quest. 

7. Stronger NPC interactions

8. Monthly DLC (for the company to make profits and have the game constantly updated to bigger and further level, making it interactive)

9. SinglePlayer oriented games to be able to foster an online community from modding to LAN and multiplayers platforms

1. Easy matchmaking multiplayer (BattleNet style), with a lobby and you can easily find other players to start a game (even bring a PvP arena option to fight your single player character vs others single players character) Note: Multiplayer experience will stay in the multiplayer

What? Why would I want them to siphon off resources for a completely unnecessary multiplayer feature?

2. Have large scales battles and "castle" battles or regional… be able to hold a stronghold or a city and invade other cities and regions "macro styled"… this would be considered in the "story development and its variables" 

Generic combat-orientedness is bad enough even without this feature.

3. Multiclass (I hope Pillars of Eternity allows multi class") - Because I want a Cypher-Mage main hero  :p

It doesn't.

Please no. That's so overly dramatic, I find myself completely unable to take it seriously.

No arguments about that.

6. Large dimension maps (like Morrowind or Skyrim etc..) that you can travel in various regions even if its "fast-travel", you feel the map can be endless….. It;s something even Baldurs Gate didn't give me… I always wanted to know I could go beyond the limits and see the rest of the world to the point of forgetting the main quest. 

Hate to disappoint, but it doesn't seem likely.

Again, no arguing from me.

8. Monthly DLC (for the company to make profits and have the game constantly updated to bigger and further level, making it interactive)

You're just trolling. Right?

...Right?

9. SinglePlayer oriented games to be able to foster an online community from modding to LAN and multiplayers platforms

I'm going to be very eloquent about this one: wut?

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid
  • Like 5

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

1- I guess no multiplayer at all. Tell me if i'm wrong.

2- No RvR style combats. sounds more like a MMO feature.

3- There won't be any. Each class will have possibilities to learn abilities from other classes. As an example, a warrior may cast some low level spells, but will be less effective than a wizard. And learning this kind of ability will be an investment. ie spending points you could have spent in something more warrior like. Once more, correct me if i'm wrong.

4- Epicness will be present, but in a few occurences. There is an update speaking about it. 3 words to describe music. Epic is not one of them.

5- To me it's like allowing a wizard to use his powers for other purposes than fighting: growing flowers, coloring apparels, etc... Hum, ok. Only imagination should allow this in a video game. Easier to allow the character to manage his stronghold, like explained in an other update.

6- Not likely, like previous post said.

7- I think PoE is very likely to allow this. There are some interviews detailing some ways NPC may react to your character, depending reputation, factions, (...), and even the way your character picked his words before. You may too become something like a cruel hero or a charming and diplomat ass hole.

8- Yeah, Must be a joke, a bad one. Additional content is not a bad thing. But there are many reasons why DLC are mostly so lame albeit they are soooooo expansive.

9- My english is bad: did not understood anything.

Conclusion: you may be really disappointed.

Edited by Abel

There are plenty of mmo RPGs out there. PoE is running on a tight budget and dedicating resourses to multiplayer will damage the overall quality of other game aspects. So no, thanks.

Can't be done. Once again, tight budget. There are only 2 cities and 1 stronghold in the game and invading small settlements wouldn't make much sense. But that does not mean there won't any stronghold battles at all. So no, thanks.

3. Multiclass (I hope Pillars of Eternity allows multi class") - Because I want a Cypher-Mage main hero  :p

There are no equipment restrictions in the game. If devs were to give characters acess to all class abilities as well, why have classes in the first place? So no, thanks.

Have nothing against epic music, but yet again PoE is running on a tight budget and I think the money is better spent elsewhere. So no, thanks.

I believe (or I'd like to) that's already in the game. Yes, please.

PoE is not an open world game.Making it such would mean lots of restrictions have to be put on story and choice-and-consequence system. So no, thanks.

I'm all for it. Yes, please.

Jeez,  I hope not! I'd rather devs concentrate on true expansion pack. So no, thanks.

Didn't really get the meaning here. So no, thanks.

Edited by Plutone00

What? Why would I want them to siphon off resources for a completely unnecessary multiplayer feature?

Generic combat-orientedness is bad enough even without this feature.

It doesn't.

Please no. That's so overly dramatic, I find myself completely unable to take it seriously.

No arguments about that.

Hate to disappoint, but it doesn't seem likely.

Again, no arguing from me.

You're just trolling. Right?

...Right?

I'm going to be very eloquent about this one: wut?

I quoted this because I feel that Aluminiumtrioxid's point needs to be hit home.  At the moment I am pointing to the stands like Babe Ruth.

F#$% you!

F#$% you!

3. Multiclass (I hope Pillars of Eternity allows multi class") - Because I want a Cypher-Mage main hero [:p]

F#$% you!

F#$% you!

F#$% you!

F#$% you!

F#$% you!

• Like 3

MzpydUh.gif

Actually we already have 5 confirmed (you get to own a keep, join factions, etc etc.), 7 is more than likely going to be in, and 9 is probably going to happen to.  After all it is unity, they have said there will be multiplayer (yes guys, they said it would be there, it is in BG after all), and it is a pc game again with unity engine so it is definitely moddable no matter what.  I also can't see it not having lan support, again purists.... BG had lan support funny you dudes forgot all that....

Monthly DLC, would rather not unless they can keep the price low (a couple bucks) and the content legitimate.  Like a new dungeon of 3-5 floors or something.  I don't see that happening though and think it is too much to ask for.  Massive maps they would do, except they cant.  It just isn't that "style" of game and the file sizes would need to be too huge for too little payoff.  Having one massive map is not as optimal for this style of RPG as just having multiple small maps with focus on each area.

Either a subtle trolling attempt (nicely done) or just about exactly the kind of game that would make me rip my monitor off the wall and hurl it from my office's second floor window.

The only thing that could make it worse would be switch gears and make this game a tablet exclusive, make it Free2Play and install multiple paywalls to "unlock" content.

Actually we already have 5 confirmed (you get to own a keep, join factions, etc etc.), 7 is more than likely going to be in, and 9 is probably going to happen to.  After all it is unity, they have said there will be multiplayer (yes guys, they said it would be there, it is in BG after all), and it is a pc game again with unity engine so it is definitely moddable no matter what.  I also can't see it not having lan support, again purists.... BG had lan support funny you dudes forgot all that....

Monthly DLC, would rather not unless they can keep the price low (a couple bucks) and the content legitimate.  Like a new dungeon of 3-5 floors or something.  I don't see that happening though and think it is too much to ask for.  Massive maps they would do, except they cant.  It just isn't that "style" of game and the file sizes would need to be too huge for too little payoff.  Having one massive map is not as optimal for this style of RPG as just having multiple small maps with focus on each area.

Hur, hur.

Even if PoE did get multi-player support, I have to honestly ask did any person ever actually enjoy the multi-player in Baldur's Gate or any of the Infinity Engine games? I always thought it was unbearable.

• Like 1

The only time people used Multiplayer in BG was when they wanted a custom party.

I don't think this game is for you.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I did not forgot at all. It's just that i didn't think multiplayer was supported. Great news if it is. Hum... BG or IWD never ran well too long for me in multiplayer back in time (few hours, and game broken). And i tried lan with them last year. The result was a broken Windows OS >>> Erase HD and reinstall windows from scratch. Quite weird.

After all it is unity, they have said there will be multiplayer (yes guys, they said it would be there, it is in BG after all),...

Did they change their stance on that, then? Because they stated no multiplayer a number of times. For example, Tim Cain said this in the RPGamer interview:

Obsidian has been hit hard in the past by having games released before they seemed as polished as they needed to be technically. How does having crowd-funding over publisher-funding change the way you'll plan to tackle QA down the line?

TC: The biggest change is that we will decide on each and every feature in the game, and we can avoid the ones that add little to the game's content but a lot to its complexity. For example, we are not supporting consoles or multiplayer, both of which make the game far more complex and hard to debug. Instead, we are focusing on making the best single-player PC RPG we can make, and that focus is simplifying a lot of our choices.​

And Sawyer said this in the XP4T interview:

Solely single player.  Though most of the Infinity Engine games supported multiplayer, the real strength of those titles was in the single player experience.  Since this will be a relatively small project, we believe multiplayer would be too large of a distraction for us.

So did I miss an announcement that multiplayer is in?

• Like 2

Hmmm?  I remember it being mentioned back in the kickstarter and basically the idea was "if BG had it this game would have it too".  It isn't a big deal to me either way.  That said the reason multiplayer sucked in BG is because 1: It was LAN only.  2: The implemented it like crap.  MP could work, they just have to actually design it correctly.  With BG they didn't take the effort.

There are plenty of things BG had that PoE doesn't. Like the DnD ruleset, for instance.

I think the idea was "if it was a main goal of the IE games, then it's what we're trying to accomplish here with PoE." I don't think multiplayer was really what BG was all about, so they're less worried about things like it than they are the meat-and-potatoes of BG and the other IE games.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Hmmm?  I remember it being mentioned back in the kickstarter and basically the idea was "if BG had it this game would have it too".  It isn't a big deal to me either way.  That said the reason multiplayer sucked in BG is because 1: It was LAN only.  2: The implemented it like crap.  MP could work, they just have to actually design it correctly.  With BG they didn't take the effort.

No multiplayer in PoE. It will be a single-player experience.

• Like 1

I was just confused if I'd missed something, but I guess Brandon cleared that up for us. Seeing the comments about how it would be relatively resource intensive though, I'm glad it's not in, although I certainly have nothing against it in principle.

There wont the multi-classes but there will be talents that you can distribute for each class so that you can play more in the direction of other classes. For example you can make a mage that's good with melee weapons and can wear armor however he will be missing some of the special abilities of a fighter that make them much more dangerous in close range.

January - For £3 you can now have the short shorts vanity item. Make all your amour look like short shorts.

For £6 you can have the new pet baby red panda. For £12 it can talk.

February - £3 green glow. all your npcs equipment has a green glow. £9 Full party gets green glow (main character not included)

£12 random lets player voice pack for your npc. (note some dialogues not included due to time restraints)

March - £9 war pig mount. £75 armour for war pig. (green glow dlc not applicable to war pig set)

April - £6 Bunny Pet - £20 Mute option for bunny available. (Bunny voice added for all even if bunny dlc not bought)

May - You get the point by now

• Like 2

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

January - For £3 you can now have the short shorts vanity item. Make all your amour look like short shorts.

For £6 you can have the new pet baby red panda. For £12 it can talk.

February - £3 green glow. all your npcs equipment has a green glow. £9 Full party gets green glow (main character not included)

£12 random lets player voice pack for your npc. (note some dialogues not included due to time restraints)

March - £9 war pig mount. £75 armour for war pig. (green glow dlc not applicable to war pig set)

April - £6 Bunny Pet - £20 Mute option for bunny available. (Bunny voice added for all even if bunny dlc not bought)

May - You get the point by now

Well, I was initially against the idea but you've managed to change my mind :devil:

...Now I'm finally against the idea ;)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat: