New Year Resolutions

BruceVC

Soooo....the end of the year beckons and its time for NY resolutions. Some people say "There is no point making NY resolutions as I always break them" but for me that's not really the point. Its more about attempting to stick to them and holding yourself accountable. If you don't stick to them that's fine but at least you tried.

So what are your NY resolutions? They can be small or grand, ambitious or trivial. I did well this year and probably achieved about 60 %.

So far mine for 2014 are

• Every 3rd week I want to cook a proper recipe book meal for a g-friend, friend or family member. I want to put real effort into the meal. I have slacked off from cooking complicated meals this year
  • I want to do something outdoors, like a hike, every 3 rd weekend. I live in a city with beautiful outdoor scenery and we never seem to use it
  • I want to eat out at a different restaurant at least every second week. We tend to eat at the same restaurants despite the fact we are spoilt for choice for excellent restaurants in Johannesburg
  • I am only going to have these huge parties after every second weekend. Lately I have people coming to my house and or I end up going out which ends up being a whole weekend party. Its a waste of the weekend, despite what Oscar Wilde said " the path of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" I think I have gained enough insight  around these matters to last me a lifetime :)
  • I want to put more effort into sustaining relationships with the various ladies I date. They never seem to lead anywhere and I'm sure the problem lies with me.

Anyway what are yours?

:)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I've never really understood resolutions.  If I want to make a change, I usually just start then, regardless of the calendar.  That being said, I hope to keep running regularly in the year to come, and pay down some more debt.

Yes I can see the reasoning behind the point " a person should just make a change anytime during the year" but the reality is for many people they don't make those changes so NY becomes the undeniable start of a cycle and in most cases it puts real pressure on them to at least attempt to make changes.

For me NY is really about the beginning of something, its real and substantive as opposed to any other day of the year.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I resolve to not make any resolutions this coming year.

I've been successful at this one for a few years running now.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

2. Buy less games - ERROR/SystemOVERLOAD-ProcessingFAILURE  

LOL

in honour of this I resolve to actually play all of the games I now own on Steam.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

LOL

in honour of this I resolve to actually play all of the games I now own on Steam.

Quick, everyone buy and gift totally random games to Wals!  :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

LOL

Quick, everyone buy and gift totally random games to Wals!  :shifty:

Motherf... *sound of deluging games*

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

1920x1080

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Switch from Gauloises to L&M.

:lol:

I see you following the more healthier NY resolutions

John Milton 

1920x1080

Pfft, it's going to be 2014.  Shouldn't you be going at least 1440p?

By weird coincidence, there is an article in this month's cpu magazine called 'New Year's Resolutions' about Ultra HD and 4K resolutions and content. No word yet when single 4K monitors will be affordable, but for TVs: "the percentage of Ultra HDTVs shipped won't exceed 10% until 2020, and the majority of TVs shipped won't be Ultra HDTVs until after 2025."

In other words, movies and games will be 1080p for ten more years ... which validates my choice in monitor, video card, and TV ... which are all a mere 1080. But hey, if you can afford 1440, which is native to 27" panels, and the beastly video card to support it, then you're a rich ass and I hate you. :)

Yearly resolutions, on the other hand, are for people who like to make lists and cross them off because they can't remember anything, much less how to make or break a habit. Don't quit smoking, that's dumb, smoke slowly instead. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

1920x1080

Pfft, it's going to be 2014.  Shouldn't you be going at least 1440p?

Don't quit smoking, that's dumb, smoke slowly instead. 

:lol: that's funny

John Milton 

In 2014, I'm determined and resolute that I shall ... uh ... hmm. I'll get back to you on that. ** :cat:

...I think what mostly goes through my head every New Year's is just "Wait, another year has gone by? Wat? Where am I again?"

**Mr. Black, over there,  says I should give him kitty treats 10 times a day instead of only once or twice, but I'm ignoring him....

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I didn't drink enough beer last year, gonna remedy that. Am also determined to up my pizza consumption.

Have you considered sleeping in a giant calzone? Then you could snack in your sleep.

• Like 4

-Elwood Blues

I'm entering my mid-thirties this year, so I'll probably have to do something about losing some weight. I'm not fat, as such, but my God-given Latino style snakehips are starting to look a little out of place after a good fifteen years of booze and chips.

• Like 1

Dirty deeds done cheap.

I'm entering my mid-thirties this year, so I'll probably have to do something about losing some weight. I'm not fat, as such, but my God-given Latino style snakehips are starting to look a little out of place after a good fifteen years of booze and chips.

"Like two rulers propping up a bean bag"

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

To successfully convince Obama to grow a moustache. 

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I think I will try to be a little nicer and more polite as a person, less prone to snapping and sarcasm. I'm noticing that the kids are picking up soem of my natural cynicism and caustic "wit," so I think I will try to restrain myself a little more, for their sake.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!