Dark Post-Apocalypse

Lord Belial

I bet i am not the only person who is disappointed with inXile's project Wasteland 2 and I hope Obsidian will eventuallly create their own spiritual successor of Fallout or maybe another non-fantasy isometric RPG. There is too much fantasy and few decent RPG placed in modern or sci-fi settings, unfortunately.

Are you from the future? I mean, you're talking about a game that just reached beta stage, but you have already passed final judgement on it.

• Like 5

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

You know that's one thing that i'm absolutely looking forward to, the lack of lighting in the post apocalypse world, for an amateur astronomer the light pollution of modern cities is utterly ruinous.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Wasteland 2 is aimed at specific audience. While some aspects of it may look obsolete by modern standarts, it does not make it a bad game. It is paying homage to original Wasteland (and to old-school Fallouts by assosiaton), which I'm sure is appreciated by fans of the classic.

I bet i am not the only person who is disappointed with inXile's project Wasteland 2 and I hope Obsidian will eventuallly create their own spiritual successor of Fallout or maybe another non-fantasy isometric RPG. There is too much fantasy and few decent RPG placed in modern or sci-fi settings, unfortunately.

"Dark Post-Apocalypse"

What are you saying, that Wasteland 2 is too light-hearted? Too much of a fantasy game? Obsidian shouldn't make fantasy games? Existing post-apocalyptic games are too brightly lit?

Edited by AGX-17

Maybe when the apocalypse that wiped out civilization as we know it happened, lighting technology miraculously came through unscathed and continued to flourish.  Maybe as all the other aspects of technology and civilization collapsed, the survivors (mutant and non-mutant) continued working feverishly on higher efficiency illumination.  I mean, that should be a priority, right?

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Wasteland 2 is aimed at specific audience. While some aspects of it may look obsolete by modern standarts, it does not make it a bad game. It is paying homage to original Wasteland (and to old-school Fallouts by assosiaton), which I'm sure is appreciated by fans of the classic.

It makes it a mediocre game... and what specific audience would that be? Those very fans backed the game and are just as disappointed unless you're claiming W2's reception has been positive.

When you look at what Expedition: Conquistador dudes did with with 80k~ you wonder what the **** Fargo did with all that money. 

Have much more faith in Obsidian delivering though as they have proven themselves over the past 10+ years. Inxile however has yet to release an actual good game while profiting on people's nostalgia. 

Edited by PIP-Clownboy

Oh, boy...

It makes it a mediocre game...

I does not. It just makes it not suitable for your particular tastes.

and what specific audience would that be?

The fans of the original Wasteland and old-school Fallouts that I mentioned in my previous post which you apparently did not read...

Those very fans backed the game and are just as disappointed unless you're claiming W2's reception has been positive.

First of all, there was no reception yet. The game is still in development. Secondly, the purpose of the beta is precisely to collect feedback. So head on over to http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/index.php if you have something constructive to say to the devs instead of ranting at me. I do not deny that some backers may have been dissapointed, because they were expecting isometric New Vegas, but that's the way it is with kickstarter-type projects: you take a leap of faith and it does not always pay off the way you expected.

When you look at what Expedition: Conquistador dudes did with with 80k~

Nice game, I agree.

you wonder what the **** Fargo did with all that money

Spent it on different aspects of the game, obviously. Taken from http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

sounds like a lot of money, but in normal AAA video game development it is less than 7% of what a big publisher spends to make a game. The last game you bought probably had a game development budget of something closer to $15,000,000. Wasteland 2 will have a team of programmers, character artists, environmental artists, animators, writers, designers, sound designers, musicians, and level designers working for 12-18 months.

Have much more faith in Obsidian delivering though as they have proven themselves over the past 10+ years.

Where did I say anything about not having faith in Obsidian? Please, read messages carefully before posting replies.

Inxile however has yet to release an actual good game while profiting on people's nostalgia.

They have not yet profited anything. All donations have gone to fund their projects.

Wasteland 2 is turn-based, combat oriented, squad RPG, if it wasn't, than i could forget  primitivism,  that somebody call combat.

Inxile however has yet to release an actual good game while profiting on people's nostalgia.

They have not yet profited anything. All donations have gone to fund their projects.

How can you know exactly which way they use their money and time?

Yeah, Fargo's brainwashing compain went too far, i hope he will pay for it.

From progress reports at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2 obviously.

If you do not believe them, their "brainwashing compaign" clearly failed, or did it?...

Some East-European games, released 7 years ago, look much better than this.

I sincerly doubt that, but It's all a matter of taste. I'll not argue.

I cant recall when I played a game having such a primitive and boring combat and game mechanics in general.

Once again a matter of taste. Simplifications had to be made in accordance with tight budget and in order to make game accessible to new fans.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously, if you've got something constructive to say (and you don't from what I've seen so far) head on over to http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/index.php (unless you've already been banned there for trolling) and voice your very valuable opinion to the devs. Ranting here is pointless.

• Like 1

When you look at what Expedition: Conquistador dudes did with with 80k~ you wonder what the **** Fargo did with all that money. 

You mean incredibly simply combat, horrible optimization, bad overworld controls and camera, and mediocre graphics.  I hope wasteland 2 is nothing like that EC, which I found mediocre (but that's my subjective opinion; I know a lot of people like the game).  But even then, EC is a finished game, while WL2 is still in alpha (despite the description, it's certainly not a beta).

Edited by Bill Gates' Son

Wasteland 2 is turn-based, combat oriented, squad RPG, if it wasn't, than i could forget  primitivism,  that somebody call combat.

Yeah, Fargo's brainwashing compain went too far, i hope he will pay for it. Some East-European games, released 7 years ago, look much better than this. I cant recall when I played a game having such a primitive and boring combat and game mechanics in general. 

...Oby? Is that you?

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid
  • Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

If you are from the future, TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS TO MY PANTS!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Maybe we're all reading this wrong?  Maybe it's Dark Post Apocalypse, as in all the posts will die, there will be no more posting?  Or it could be that all the posts become really dark.  Maybe we'll all be ousted and Obsidian Forums will just be a bunch of goths posting?  Or maybe we'll become assimilated and become goths ourselves?  

/shudders

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

:rolleyes:  come on guys, its pretty obvious that by "Dark Post Apocalypse" he meant dark and gritty realism..

Yeah, Fargo's brainwashing compain went too far, i hope he will pay for it. Some East-European games, released 7 years ago, look much better than this. I cant recall when I played a game having such a primitive and boring combat and game mechanics in general.

uhm.. Fargo's brainwashing campaign? :unsure: I don't think he did anything that others before didn't do, he just said good ol' RPGs, fallout and ranted about big publishers, and you said shut up and take my money without reading the fine print on what the project entails and now you are disappointed that Wasteland 2 is successor to Wasteland and not a disguise for the "real" fallout 3.

I agree that compared to some 3D games or "isometric" games like fallout(or eternity turns out), Wasteland2 doesn't look that good. But, IMO they delivered what they said they will within the confines of their budget.

As for East-Europeans game, I bet that Chinese developers pays even less for developers time..

Which in turn paid their own salaries, so they are making a personal profit anyway.

No, they are not. They are just paying their bills. What kind of job do you have IRL anyway? Are you making a salary? If you are doing your job for free, then what do you do with your living expenses?

• 2 weeks later...

I was just the way you you phrased it. Making a "personal profit" at funder's expense is not the quite the same as working.

Does it mean you are not working for your personal profit? Your Boss must love you (if you are still in schoole just skip my comment)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Wasteland 2 looks good, what's the fuss about? The current combat system isn't fully implemented and they iterating it through fan feedback, what exactly is your problem with the game? The fact that its turn based? Or that in this particular post apocalyptic wasteland they didn't nuke that big thing in the sky that provides light for free!