Final absolute overkill + reward

Poll  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the idea? (pick carefully)

Cheers guys, Irma here.

First of all, when it comes to most looked forward to games in your most favorite genre, it's natural to get upset when the game doesn't fit your expectations in certain way - but, when I thought it through, I discovered it must be even harder for you (the developers), since you put most effort in the final product of all of us and nobody can feel the ties of budget and time limits more than you, when you have to make the decisions about what to do and what not.

My idea doesn't take much of either I suppose, so please everybody, before you click and vote, think carefully and choose DISLIKE only if the idea somehow limits or even ruins your game experience. If my idea doesn't reach your area of interest, just pick Don't care or don't vote at all.

I added the Don't care thing so that it's obvious how many people of the pie are interested.

Now, to explain the background of what I'd like to see: when I played my beloved BG2, it happened like this:

1) made my first char, enjoyed the game through, read all dialogues, solved every quest I approached.

2) repeat with other classes

3) now that I have picked my fave classes, made dual class Swashbuckler / Fighter (the strongest combination in game as far as I know*) and maxed it (to lvl 50 of course)

4) at the final stage, I explored every single location in the game, and talked to and singlehandedly killed off almost every NPC to make sure there isn't any hidden surprise left.

(and then wait for several years in hope of forgetting most of it to be able to relive it again)

If your game experience in HC RPG doesn't contain options 3) and 4), you will vote Don't care :)

Now, the point: There is one character in BG2 that can't be killed as far as I know, and that's protector of Saemon Havarian, whom I got to Badly injured with my top char before he killed me.

So, MY idea is to make something similar in PoE, can be the ruler of main city in game or something similar, friendly NPC that can be attacked though, and which would be the Really toughest mother****er in the Game. Make it so hard that you would have to have the best of best items in game (like the ultimate ring and weapon in game - but twice, if the game allows to Exp/Imp chars, which I sincerely hope it does), have to sacrifice all your party members, have to run around for half hour if necessary, to kill it.

This would be the ultimate measure for how much godlike your char really is.

And the reward?

The best idea for reward I came up with would be in-game item, arch of paper with secret pass to hidden section on these forums, which would allow there only those who really made it, and people would share there their best of best builds and approaches that made them the deadliest person in the world of PoE. 

Dunno for how long it would remain secret tho, but the idea is nice I guess.

Or, of course, you could put there item which, when worn, makes your char talk like when they inhaled helium. Silly things :)

Ok, thats a little too much hassle for such trivial idea, but I guess it would mean a lot to me as well as others probably, if there was some bigger, larger, story-unrelated goal that would motive to you to play it even longer. Cause I have spent months of time on BG, and I expect nothing less of PoE.

Oh yeah, and here's good track. Thanks for reading :)

Have fun!

Love <3 Aunt Irma.

* My swashbuckler/fighter on 50th lvl had -28 AC, all attributes at 25, magic res almost 100, thanks to dual class with fighter 5 points on axes, regen 3hp/s I think plus he could wear anything thanks to the special perk of thieves in game (so even read any scroll, yes). Total overkill.

Among other things, how did you get your Dual Class Fighter-Swashbuckler to level 50 when the cap is 40 for thief alone, let alone max out all attributes to 25 without using the CLUA console? Is that what you'll discuss in the uber secret forum sub-section? May as well CLUA Console the best items for your characters as well -rather than bother with all that...just sayin'!

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Now, the point: There is one character in BG2 that can't be killed as far as I know, and that's protector of Saemon Havarian, whom I got to Badly injured with my top char before he killed me.

Mage, Sorceror, or Thief with UAI and a bunch of scrolls -> Cast Timestop, Improved Alacrity (skip this for thief; not really required), Improved Haste, Shapechange (to Mindflayer), and Tensor's Transformation (in that order) then attack.

You'll drain his INT to zero in less than five hits (and he dies). Legal stats are sufficient; no console, save game editor or export/import shenanigans required.  No items required other than the scrolls for the thief.

You're welcome.  :dancing:

Edited by Yonjuro
  • Like 1

Mage, Sorceror, or Thief with UAI and a bunch of scrolls -> Cast Timestop, Improved Alacrity (skip this for thief; not really required), Improved Haste, Shapechange (to Mindflayer), and Tensor's Transformation (in that order) then attack.

You'll drain his INT to zero in less than five hits (and he dies). Legal stats are sufficient; no console, save game editor or export/import shenanigans required.  No items required other than the scrolls for the thief.

You're welcome.  :dancing:

Aaaa now way! Sir you MADE MY DAY NOW, thank you! :)

See? Thats what I meant.

Among other things, how did you get your Dual Class Fighter-Swashbuckler to level 50 when the cap is 40 for thief alone, let alone max out all attributes to 25 without using the CLUA console? Is that what you'll discuss in the uber secret forum sub-section? May as well CLUA Console the best items for your characters as well -rather than bother with all that...just sayin'!

Dear Leferd,

I have already learnt that most people are much more narrow-minded than me, so I expected at least one answer like this.

So, as for your questions:

a) when I reached level 40 with my fav char, I felt like it's not enough and I wanted to continue my journey. That when I started searching for patch that would allow me to go even further on my path to ultimate godlike killer. I found great patch that simulated the system of leveling and rewards between level 30-40 and extended it to 50.

b) Watchers Keep multiple times.

c) CLUA console is bull****. There is no JOY in making character in CC. The real JOY comes from spending time on building it, knowing that every piece of XP is well earned. I like creating characters of godlike abilities, totally hardcore in world that I learned to love in previous game plays. If you consider exping char bothering, than there is something wrong.

I didn't start this thread to brag about my best build, but in hope to approach players who think the same.

Hey there,

I disliked it because I think every drop of additional work should be put into story, sidequests and the like. That being said, if there would be any hidden super treasure , I'd want it to be something like a sidequest granting you an unexpected henchman in the next run, or background information about NPCs, an additional epilogue, rather than a uber-weapon or imba-build or easterbunny outfit. 

No hurt feelings ok :)

Hey there,

I disliked it because I think every drop of additional work should be put into story, sidequests and the like. That being said, if there would be any hidden super treasure , I'd want it to be something like a sidequest granting you an unexpected henchman in the next run, or background information about NPCs, an additional epilogue, rather than a uber-weapon or imba-build or easterbunny outfit. 

No hurt feelings ok :)

Finally at last, a flash of constructive criticism! :)

Thats why I suggested the ultra fight to be NPC that's already there and is friendly in the first place, so that all the work that has to be done is adjusting the power of that NPC. That way it also becomes eastern egg :) 

And the reward could be pretty much anything. Even simple note from devs would do ffs.

I am just throwing out ideas. If you don't like, you don't, no hard feelings :)

Strongly dislike. Would absorb dev time away from better stuff, for the sake of a tiny number of uber completionists. 

If you want it, mod it in, mate.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I voted no, not because I wouldn't like to see crazy encounters, but because this is not something the developers need to spend time/money on at this point in development(Still aiming for a release mid 2014)

OP, as Walsingham said, mod it in yourself, or take advantage of any number of Tactics/Sword Coast Stratagems/Improved Anvil/Improved Encounters/Super Firkraag type mods that will invariably pop up post release.  Honestly, I'm looking forward to the crazy mods that come out almost more than the vanilla game. :D

Super Encounters are almost expected to show up as mods for IE type games, at least among the players I know.  Whether it's game breaking stuff, or just minor tweaks here and there, it's almost a certainty that you will have stuff to test your godlike character with shortly after release.

• Like 1

Dear Leferd,

I have already learnt that most people are much more narrow-minded than me, so I expected at least one answer like this.

So, as for your questions:

a) when I reached level 40 with my fav char, I felt like it's not enough and I wanted to continue my journey. That when I started searching for patch that would allow me to go even further on my path to ultimate godlike killer. I found great patch that simulated the system of leveling and rewards between level 30-40 and extended it to 50.

b) Watchers Keep multiple times.

c) CLUA console is bull****. There is no JOY in making character in CC. The real JOY comes from spending time on building it, knowing that every piece of XP is well earned. I like creating characters of godlike abilities, totally hardcore in world that I learned to love in previous game plays. If you consider exping char bothering, than there is something wrong.

I didn't start this thread to brag about my best build, but in hope to approach players who think the same.

Narrow-minded? That's pretty condescending of you. You brought up a topic, discussion ensued. I didn't bring up any ad-hominem remarks. Maybe I came across as a bit flippant, but usually no harm - no foul.

That being said:

A) that's not a patch. That's a cheat. The game was designed for 40 and you cheated to raise it up to 50.

B) that's meta-gamey of you. Which is fine - take advantage of the respawning mechanic.

C) to each their own. I suppose it's fine that you want to give your character godlike powers since your character is a god. As for myself, I'm not into level grinding or making my character into the biggest badass motherxxxxxx in the forgotten realms in a single player game just to stroke my own ego and discuss my exploits in an über-exclusive sub-forum only accessible by an infinitely small minority of like-minded divas such as yourself. I'd rather just do the the CLUA Console and be done with it.

But then again, as you said, I'm narrow-minded like the rest of us cretins :)

Anyways welcome to the forums, and all this banter is just good fun.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

I voted no, not because I wouldn't like to see crazy encounters, but because this is not something the developers need to spend time/money on at this point in development(Still aiming for a release mid 2014)

OP, as Walsingham said, mod it in yourself, or take advantage of any number of Tactics/Sword Coast Stratagems/Improved Anvil/Improved Encounters/Super Firkraag type mods that will invariably pop up post release.  Honestly, I'm looking forward to the crazy mods that come out almost more than the vanilla game. :D

Super Encounters are almost expected to show up as mods for IE type games, at least among the players I know.  Whether it's game breaking stuff, or just minor tweaks here and there, it's almost a certainty that you will have stuff to test your godlike character with shortly after release.

After reading this, I changed my own opinion to DISLIKE.

I do agree that this is atually something that modding can fully cover, thanks mate :)

btw Leferd, your answer in mostly speculation insulting my way of playing RPG based on your different predispositions, which is like the definition of "narrow-minded"... lol

Edited by IRMA

In what manner did I insult your way of playing RPGs? If anything, I was engaging you over semantics regarding your use of "patches" and using cheats to get your character to godlike super status. I also voiced my disagreement over your ideas in general and in particular of your idea of a special secret access sub forum of like minded players.

So just because I disagreed with you and that I didn't write anything that YOU considered to be constructive criticism calls for calling me narrow-minded? R00fles..

Let's recap - trying to avoid strawmen and red herrings here... You wrote that you reached level 50 and achieved 25 scores across the board via normal, albeit obsessive play through. I asked how you did that. I suggested that it wasn't possible due to the level cap and other factors. CLUA Console is easiest way. You wrote that CLUA was cheating and you do things naturally through a "patch."

Look, I really don't care how you play your single player game. Play as you like, mod as you like, cheat as you like. It's a single player game and we can enjoy it as however we want to. But a patch is a patch and a mod is not a patch. Anything that modifies the game that allows you to enhance your abilities beyond the normal scope of the game as designed is a cheat. Let's not be disingenuous and try to cast stones shall we?

PS my favorite CLUA cheat is The Great Gonzo and I welcome all others to try it. Hilarious.

• Like 1