New Stretch Goals: What you'd pay for

So if there were new stretch goals, as mentioned, what goals would get you to pay in more?

A stab in the dark:

$5 Million: PS4/Xbox One version.

$5.5 Million: Stronghold gets customizable themes/upgrades (evil/civilized/nature) instead of just a linear series of upgrades

$6 Million: iOS/Android version.

$6.5 Million: Stronghold now gets a customizable town to lord over and grow.

$7 Million: Post release co-op/multiplayer mode. The big one right? Heck yes.

Why would I pay more money for the game to be availiable in other platform? Especialy that on the android the performance of the game may be less enticing

Because other people play other platforms, and it also only makes sense financially to port it to other platforms.

I hate to repeat myself but Obsidian has fans on other platforms, too. Just because PoE is primarily a PC games doesn't mean it would stay that way. They plan on making a sequel and an expansion. They just have the luxury right now, because of the Kickstarter funds, to make a primarily PC version. 

You mean other platforms, right?

Obsidian has fans on consoles, too.

Well the PC version isn't going to be very intense as far as hardware is concerned. Console fans would very likely be able to play on an available PC. The amount of changes to make a PC exclusive into a console game are pretty heavy. Have you compared Dragon Age: Origins on its various platforms? The console is not a true direct port. A lot is lost and you can tell that a lot of development money went just into make it exist. They'd also have to account for licensing costs and distribution. It would take some very big stretch goals to make that a reality.

So if there were new stretch goals, as mentioned, what goals would get you to pay in more?

A stab in the dark:

$5.5 Million: Stronghold gets customizable themes/upgrades (evil/civilized/nature) instead of just a linear series of upgrades

Why would I pay more money for the game to be availiable in other platform? Especialy that on the android the performance of the game may be less enticing

Because other people play other platforms, and it also only makes sense financially to port it to other platforms.

I hate to repeat myself but Obsidian has fans on other platforms, too. Just because PoE is primarily a PC games doesn't mean it would stay that way. They plan on making a sequel and an expansion. They just have the luxury right now, because of the Kickstarter funds, to make a primarily PC version. 

Gnostic's question isn't so much what he wrote -- but more the question of "why should I spend more money, with the end result of making PE worse?"

If you dig around a bit (I forget which thread it was, sorry) -- even Obsidian has stated that a "controller UI" would force them to make sacrifices to the UI code that will result in two "okay" interfaces instead of one good one.

As for the expansions and sequels and whatnot -- well, if the first game is good, they probably don't have too much to worry about... 

Edited by neo6874

And my post still stands: there's absolutely no reason for them not to make a console version down the line, with the stretch goal money. The PC version would still be done. If they threw up an 80 bajillion goal for a PS4 version that they stated would start work after PoE PC, then I don't see why people wouldn't pledge.

I already dropped $250, so I fully expect a perfect first pass for the base game, price including PS:T-depth companions (and yes there are enough companions--anyone who complains there aren't enough obviously never played PS:T and only expect the shallow Baldur's Gate style companions, bah!) and lengthy, deep, variable questlines and factions that affect one's overall story. Obs already promised a balance of wilderness areas in BG2 style, and that's fine with me. I don't want console ports or MP to be part of stretch goals, though--I think those are better off as separate Kickstarters after PE is already established as a PC franchise.

But I'd pay more for well-crafted dynamic encounters: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63134-dynamic-encounters-patrols-respawns-spawn-points/

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

And my post still stands: there's absolutely no reason for them not to make a console version down the line, with the stretch goal money. The PC version would still be done. If they threw up an 80 bajillion goal for a PS4 version that they stated would start work after PoE PC, then I don't see why people wouldn't pledge.

While I won't argue the fact that Obs has console fans, as they most certainly do, don't lose sight of the fact the OP asked what stretch goals would make you pledge more cash. While I have nothing against consoles, ports to other platforms would not be something that would tease more money out of me. This is what many of us are saying. Not that there shouldn't be console versions at all: just that we wouldn't pledge more money to make them a reality.

• Like 1

A stab in the dark:

Gnostic's question isn't so much what he wrote -- but more the question of "why should I spend more money, with the end result of making PE worse?"

If you dig around a bit (I forget which thread it was, sorry) -- even Obsidian has stated that a "controller UI" would force them to make sacrifices to the UI code that will result in two "okay" interfaces instead of one good one.

As for the expansions and sequels and whatnot -- well, if the first game is good, they probably don't have too much to worry about... 

True, if I throw more money at it, it has to make the game better, not worst because of it.

If obsidian think they can earn more money by porting the game to console, do it at the expense of their own earnings, not the exspense of my money that I give in good faith that they can improve the game. They can develop a new UI for console, not half bake UI for both like what microsoft is doing with window 8 metro.

I am curious as to how much Obsidian has accumulated now. Or an estimate, during the Kickstarter we could see how much funds Obsidian got, but now we're kind of in the dark. I trust Obsidian, but I kind of feel it'd be nice to get a number as well. Maybe they could do a Backer Site stretch goal thingy meter showing how it's moving along.

More wilderness. What I mean is I want a truely open world to where if I wanted to go from a city to a cave, instead of leaving the cityband entering a map and clicking on the location of the cave.. .I want to actually travel there. I'm not saying get rid ofbthe map but have it optional to where if I want to fast travel there I can but if in wanna walk there I can.

More monstere and more items and more locations and more stories.

That's what I would pledge more money for.

True, if I throw more money at it, it has to make the game better, not worst because of it.

If obsidian think they can earn more money by porting the game to console, do it at the expense of their own earnings, not the exspense of my money that I give in good faith that they can improve the game. They can develop a new UI for console, not half bake UI for both like what microsoft is doing with window 8 metro.

^^^This.

I would personally love to see exactly what they've proposed, the outsourcing of additional wilderness areas sounds like a great way to add content without affecting the release date too much (I personally would wait till 2015 for a better game but i realise not everyone is this patient).

Sorry, but... I can honestly say, none of the above would get me to fork over another contribution. But others might.

Some things I'd like to see:

• Greater creature diversity (more types, models, and variants).
  • Detailed weather effects including an overhead view panel.
  • An explorable overland map.
  • Ambient events (social birds, small animal behavior and reaction, people responding to weather).
  • Behavior scheduling.
  • More detailed reactivity by prominent NPCs.
  • Water travel with ship-to-ship combat.

This sounds good.

I'm not thrilled about the idea of the game's scope being expanded so late in the development process. This would have a good chance to delay the game significantly, and I really want PoE to be done in 2014. If the game budget suddenly explodes for some reason, the money should go into funding an expansion pack or sequel.

While I won't argue the fact that Obs has console fans, as they most certainly do, don't lose sight of the fact the OP asked what stretch goals would make you pledge more cash. While I have nothing against consoles, ports to other platforms would not be something that would tease more money out of me. This is what many of us are saying. Not that there shouldn't be console versions at all: just that we wouldn't pledge more money to make them a reality.

The entire reason I pledged more to Mighty No. 9 is so it could hit the console stretch goals.

Really, are we going to be so petty as to be "why should THEY play my game?". One person posts that they'd pay for more platforms, and everyone jumps on them for it?

Edited by Bryy

The entire reason I pledged more to Mighty No. 9 is so it could hit the console stretch goals.

Really, are we going to be so petty as to be "why should THEY play my game?". One person posts that they'd pay for more platforms, and everyone jumps on them for it?

The original pitch was strictly for a PC game so, yes, it kind of is a big deal. I own consoles and play games on them, but this is not the sort of game I'd want to play on a console.

I also own consoles and as Dayan has said I don't think the game would translate all that well to consoles, C&C and Theme Hospital are two examples that imo were inferior to the original pc versions, I wouldn't expect many of the original backers to support a port over additional content.

Also Mighty number 9 is a game that is actually more suited to consoles (although I'm sure a pc version with a gamepad could be just as good) thus those strechgoals actually made far more sense for me.

Besides if the Pillars franchise is as successful as we all hope i would happily support Dark Alliance style spinoffs for consoles in the future (please don't flame me lol).

• Like 1

The matter of consoles has been discussed many times, and Obs said "no" (thx). If console players want to pledge for a console version after the game is released on PC, feel free. It would be interesting to convey such games to new people who may love it (if Obs is able to translate the game exp on a controller, and i'm pretty sure they can't, like they said themselves). But please, don't even mention a console port as a pre-release stretch goal. Many of us just don't want to flame, and this kind of insisting purposal motivates me much more into flaming than i would want to admit...

@Bryy. Once more. Multi-platform designs are inherently compromised. One of the points of the PoE Kickstarter was that unlike most games today, PoE would not have to be designed as multi-platform, and therefore PC gamers would get a game designed from the ground up to be playable on a PC.

This is why I and many others get irritated about calls for a console port. It's disingenuous to argue that it doesn't matter if the PC one is done anyway. It certainly does matter. For one thing, if PoE is a success, there will be sequels, and if there is a console version, and the console version is a success, then the sequel will almost certainly be written as multi-platform to start with, and we're right back where we started.

No. Console. Ports.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com