Another dumb question about languages

Hi, everyone! I'm sorry if there already was such question here, didn't find any though.

I heard PoE is going to be released on several languages including Russian. But who will do the translation? "Official localizers" in Russia can translate shooters and race simulators, maybe even RTS if they press themselves a little. But when there's some significant amount of in-game text, poor folks become completely frustrated by the amount of difficult words. No, seriously, "official" Russian versions of EVERY good cRPG had terrible translation. BG, BG2, VtM:Bloodlines, Arcanum and both KotORs aren't translated normally yet, fans still working (mostly revising though) on them. Not to mention Fallout 2 and especially Planescape:Torment. It will be very sad if PoE will get killed for Russian gamers because of the poor localization.

So, is there any news about that?

• Like 1

I'd like to know as well. Polish and Russian localizations are done by the local distributor(s) - they were announced on the same day, which raised reasonable suspicions that the distributor is 1C/Cenega and this would indeed be a shame. So has anything new been revealed?

uhm, I am not certain what you expect to hear...

Nothing special, really :)

Actually I'm pretty sure that proper (or at least close to it) translation will be provided by fan communities in about half of an year after game's release, and guys from Obsidian hardly have something to do with it. Officially localized version very likely will turn out a trash. Due to my membership in one of such communities I think I'll have to deal with a little piece of PoE's texts too, sooner or later. In that case it would help me a little to know localizer's name and according to that prepare myself morally for... uh, never mind.

Localisations in English tend be pretty good, regardless of the base language.

Actually, they don't. "To appeal to casual public" english localisators practically lobotomised japanese games, especially in the 90s, sometimes simply cuttig out ENTIRE PIECES of the game, so not to leave any refference to the japanese lifestyle and culture. "Luckily" nowadays with anime boom, english localisators just stick to deforamted translations and horrible voice acting "to appeal to casual public", stubbornly refusing to include original japanese VOs (with rare exceptions). Thank God that undub scene exists.

That's strange to think about as a native English speaker. Localisations in English tend be pretty good, regardless of the base language. Have you tried contacting Obsidian more directly? I'm sure they don't want to alienate Russian/Polish markets.

I don't know much about localizations in English, but I'd suspect that depends on amount of in-game text too. Almost every game with much text written in English natively and doesn't need localization (except for Japanese games, but Plutone00 already talked about that. Besides, Japanese language is SO difficult). Have you heard anything about game named "Pathalogic"? It has been made in Russia, got very good comments from critics in Europe and USA as well, but completely failed on the market because of poor localization exactly.

I haven't tried to contact Obsidian with this question directly yet, but maybe I'll try that after holidays.

Well, the 90s were 14 years ago. Japanese to English localisations have com a long way imo. Then again, I'm not a weeaboo purist. Really, most of the localisation failures recently have come from smaller devs who can't afford good publishers. Games like STALKER or Witcher have very good localisation.

Well, the 90s were 14 years ago.

Yes and most of those classics have been ruined forever, never getting a proper re-release.

Really, most of the localisation failures recently have come from smaller devs who can't afford good publishers.

I would not consider Square Enix, Atlus, SEGA and Konami "small-time"...