Kickstarter disappointments

JadedWolf

So I have mostly only had positive experiences with Kickstarter projects so far. Sure, a lot of them have to change their release date, for obvious reasons. And some are a bit short on content (I am looking at you, Shadowrun Returns). But all in all, Kickstarter has been a success for me.

With one glaring exception. Godus. I can somewhat understand people who say it will improve with time, and that it's only a beta at the moment but still... I certainly am not enjoying it, and I can't see in what they delivered so far something which I thought I was backing. It seems to mostly involve keeping yourself busy by tediously clicking on things until you get RSI, with no other reward than to be the caretaker of a bunch of lazy ingrates who die off when you leave them alone for five minutes. But, that's completely besides the point. Because quite honestly, it can happen. A game can disappoint, and go in a completely different direction than you thought it would go. If that was all, I'd shrug and move on.

But the whole thing has been so very dodgy. Alarm bells started to ring when Peter M. announced that the winner of the Curiosity clicking game was going to be the God of all players in the game that we as backers funded. Apart from raising concerns about whether our voice would be heard over that of this newfound deity, I couldn't help but think that they never had a clear idea of what the prize for curiosity would be until they had Godus kickstarted and only then decided to make this the prize. So like many were suspecting, Peter M.'s hyping up the value of the prize -a "life-changing" experience- only served to sell his clickity click game. Brilliant showmanship of course, but not what you want to learn about someone whose project you've backed in the good faith that he'll deliver what he promised.

Then, as the beta launced, there were signs that 22cans was actually aiming for the mobile crowd. Anyone who has played the game in beta knows what I mean. It's not just that there's was at one point a store (which was removed after complaints from backers, though it is not sure if it may not return later), the whole interface and the gameplay just screams "mobile!". Indeed, they have already admitted that they plan to release it on mobile, and here's the kicker, for free. So, you back a project for PC, only to get a mobile game, and then you lean that the actual target audience will get it for free. Should I take solace from the fact that they will probably pay through their noses in microtransactions for the pleasure? Maybe. But it certainly leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Then, there was the Steam sale. I don't mind Steam early access, but who thought it was a good idea to sell this early access at a significant discount during a Steam sale? They must be really hurting for cash to slap the people who kickstarted their project in the face like that. The bottom line seems to be they stopped caring about their backers the moment they got their money.

It's safe to say I won't be backing any of their Kickstart projects again. If there is going to be one, because I'd be surprised if Godus is going to be a success for them if things keep going like this.

So... Yeah. Has anyone else had a disappointing experience with Kickstarter projects so far?

Edited by JadedWolf

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

^ Promising the stars and then delivering a burnt-down candle? Standard procedure for Peter Molyneux. Move along, citizen, nothing to see here.

... Don't take the above the wrong way, I feel for you, I really do. Also, thanks for telling us the details about Godus.

So far, I've yet to see a serious disappointment funded with my pledge. Besides the old-but-new RPGs, Telepath Tactics is coming along nicely.

• Like 2

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Shadowrun Returns was already mentioned...

Only other game released so far, which I backed, was Expeditions Conquistador and I quite enjoyed that one (not a perfect game, but I was happy with it).

So not much data to base my experiences on. 2 backed games released so far. One I liked, the other one... was found wanting (I seriously hated the lack of a real save game feature).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

No disappointments yet.  Legends of Dawn is a pretty crappy game, but I knew it was a risk and there was much potential for a dud going in.  Even so, I played the game for over 25 hours and found it strangely enjoyable, despite the fact that it's clearly a ****ty game, so I got my pledge's worth.  Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded isn't earth shattering but it's exactly the game they promised and I had fun with it.  Shadowrun Returns is one of my favorite games of 2013.  Grim Dawn isn't fully released yet, but I've been playing it since alpha and have had fun with it, plus it's clear that it's a great game, just unfinished right now.  Broken Sword 5 is a solid point n click, I'm pretty happy with it, the first half of it, anyway (all that's been released so far).

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm disappointed in almost every KS even though I don't back them all. I see videos and those games are just awful.

That's why you are the besterest.

I haven't been disappointed by anything, but I've only received Shadowrun as a pledgee.  I happily bought Expedition Conquistadors and FTL though, and they were great.

I expect to be let down a bit by a few of the Sierra Alum making games, but honestly I felt I owed them for all the great childhood memories.  Shroud of the Avatar might be a bomb too, but I put a low bid in.  

I was very mildly disappointed with Shadowrun but I was following the development fairly closely so I was steadily lowering my expectations. I'm hoping the expansion will make me feel warm fuzzies again

I'm not really sure how I feel about the Conquistadors game as it didn't really hold my interest 

I think those are the only KS games that I've backed that are completed and I really have no interest in playing the alphas and betas of the others

Free games updated 3/4/21

Only KS I pledged for hasn't been released yet. That said, of those released, Shadowrun Returns looks like crap which is a mighty disspaointment and emans no buy from me any time soon. Only when it is less than 10$ would I dare try such suspect nonsense.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

No disappointments yet, but I think my expectations were pretty realistic. I suppose Shadowrun Returns could have done a little better but the Berlin campaign (free for backers) is yet to come. 

nothing i've backed has been released yet, but i thought shadowrun returns was a pretty decent game. 

waiting on Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Numenera

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Legends of Dawn. It turned out to be really bad, and I had high hopes for it, so I was disappointed.

Shadowrun Returns was a bit on the short side and wonky, but it was still a decent effort.

Expedition: Conquistador is the best KS RPG so far. I'm playing a very early build of Divinity: Original Sin right now and having a blast. Also, I look forward to Consortium.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

My biggest disappointment is that Precinct by Jim Walls seems to be deader than dead, with just a facebook page left outside of KS as a memorandum.

My other one was recently corrected. (Bloom)

As far as released games: Technically only 1 game has come out that I've kickstarted, I have access right now to 2 (pre)betas, and I pre-ordered Shadowrun, so that kinda counts. I also own FTL.

The game that I've kickstarted that's out: Pandora - Purge of Pride was unpolished when I played it. It's been updated since I played it, so I don't know how far along it's come. My expectations for it was low to begin with. It wasn't my type of game. I was mostly pledging the kids involved. Their page was kinda funny, and I liked their company logo. It was mostly to see what they would do.

I liked the little bit I played Shadowrun before Steam kicked me out after 2 weeks. I was busy those weeks so I only got to the graveyard.

The little bit I've played FTL was alright too. Sometime I'll really sit down and play it.

I've already commented on Rehearsals and Returns in the Kickstarter thread, and was tremendously pleased with the pre-beta. I've already got more than my money's worth with it.

I haven't tried Delver's Drop yet. I have that beta.

-----

As far as Godus goes: It's Peter Molyneux. All I would expect with that game is Populous 2013-14. He could promise me the moon (as a playable area) and I would just expect Populous. The trouble is I already own a few Populous games, and I don't need DRM to play those ones. Plus, I assumed he had a tonne of money, and didn't need mine. There's also that Curiosity Cube deal. That's stupid. I don't want other people bugging me when I'm playing Populous. My understanding about the winner of that is that he kinda feels the same way, so you shouldn't have to worry about him bugging you with stupid trolling crap.

Oh well. If it wasn't for Peter Molyneux, there would be Peter Molydeux. And without him, there wouldn't be MolyJam games.

http://www.molyjam.com/games

http://archive.molyjam.com/

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

I liked the little bit I played Shadowrun before Steam kicked me out after 2 weeks. I was busy those weeks so I only got to the graveyard.

Steam kicked you out? What's the deal with that? :o

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Haven't backed very many, really. None have been released. Only played a couple alphas. They've been kinda fun, but neither have super-excited me as the alphas continue to evolve (my feelings go up and down) but I wasn't expecting the sun and the stars either, so it's all good. While I hope for the best and expect at least a playable/fun for a playthru or two game, I don't usually have high expectations. Not on most of the budgets.

Pillars of Eternity (I still read that as "pillows"...) is the only KS I have fairly high expectations for - at least within reason of the budget. If they disappoint me I might have to ... to ... uh, I don't know. I suppose I'll do what I usually do - mope in my room in grumpy silence. But that won't happen. Nope, nope it won't. :cat:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've backed a bunch, but the only one I've actually got was the movie Shadow Cabal, which considering it was a big epic fantasy indie flick, actually turned out not too bad. I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it was. Banner Saga comes out in like 3 weeks, I hope it doesn't disappoint, especially because I backed at a level based on the promise of future installments.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

As of this monday, my Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded physical rewards are still "in the process of being shipped", as they've been since last July (confirmed by customer service). With the crisis the company's going through, it looks like I might draw a blank on those. Game was good, though, but I'm unlikely to go for a physical tier any time soon.

In fact, that's the only kickstarter I've backed that has released. I also supported a friends' album's crowdfunding on indiegogo, and had some issues with that delivery as well, so I'm a bit "meh" about the whole thing. Next thing coming is the complete Elmore book, let's see how that turns out.

I have basically 0 interest in Wasteland 2, but I'm really glad I backed it, because it lead on to a lot of really cool things.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Steam kicked you out? What's the deal with that? :o

Steam's broken offline mode would lose my info after 2 weeks. I refused to bring my computer back into town just so I could login and play the games I owned. Supposed that bug is fixed, but I was having problems with Steam losing my login info before that - just at a longer period of time. I'll find out eventually if it's fixed for me or not. I couldn't care less. GOG, Desura, my 360 and even Uplay and Origin are still my friends.

Doesn't matter now though with Shadowrun; Harebrained made things right and gave me a GOG key. :thumbsup: I have a feeling that's what I'll be playing at home after Dust: An Elysian Tail.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Ive only backed three games; SRR, Divinity and PE, and Im a little disappointed across the board. The save system in SRR is almost a deal breaker, I recently read something about Divinity where only the character that delivers the killing blow gets experience, and I dislike almost every mechanic Ive read about in PE. I should probably wait for games to be released before buying.

So far I've backed Mandate, Moebius, PE and QFG. And Star Citizen. Early days for most, I didn't really care about QFG that much - mainly donated just to help them get it done and they are old Sierra folk.  So far Moebius looks...ok from the betas, not too challenging puzzles but who knows what is left out of the beta (then again might be nothing).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra