Creating My Whole Party at the Very Beginning

I plan to create my Player Character as well as my 5 Companions.

I hope I can start out with my party of 6 at the very beginning. I don't want to wait until the game is more than half over before I get my whole team assembled.

I want my 6 adventurers to experience the entire journey together right from the start.

There will be an Adventurers Hall in the game where you can create your own party members.  It won't be available at your own character creation but should be fairly early in the game, probably in one of the first towns or cities you go to.  I doubt it will be more than 30 minutes or an hour into the game or all that will happen is someone will mod a shortcut to it.  Obsidian know what they are doing, at least it is being kind of incorporated into the lore of the game, a bit more immersive than just rolling multiple characters before you press Play.

The reason you can't create your whole party at the beginning is because the early game is balanced around staggered introduction of characters. You will be able to gain Adventurer's party characters at roughly the same rate as companions. In a recent interview Josh Sawyer said that the places where you can hire them are accessible around the same time as gaining a companion (whether that be before or after).

• Like 2

Sorry, OP. But I think you're mental.

You get different group dynamics forming depending on who comes in first. If you don't get them out of a single 'carton' at the start then it gives you more variation to play with.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You get different group dynamics forming depending on who comes in first. If you don't get them out of a single 'carton' at the start then it gives you more variation to play with.

So, if someone likes to play differently than you do, you think they are mental...interesting... :bat:

• Like 3

I don't know how the Adventurer's Hall will function throughout all difficulties but I remember Obs saying something that it costs an amount to hire extra companions too (I like it!) but just something to consider... a Player might not be able to afford a full party right off the bat even if they reach an "Adventurer's Hall" location.

Furthermore, in the latest PCWorld interview I am fairly sure I read Josh saying that the Adventurer's Hall isn't necessarily a "building" you find but it's various set "locations" all over the world.

EDIT: What I imagine on difficulty btw for Adventurer's Hall companions and economy:
- Casual/Easy = Costs very little or nothing at all
- Normal = Costs some
- Hard = Costs more
- Hardcore = Costs a lot
- Hardcore Deluxe Mod (That I want to create if it isn't already in the game) = Can't hire extra companions whatsoever

Edited by Osvir

I don't know how the Adventurer's Hall will function throughout all difficulties but I remember Obs saying something that it costs an amount to hire extra companions too (I like it!) but just something to consider... a Player might not be able to afford a full party right off the bat even if they reach an "Adventurer's Hall" location.

Furthermore, in the latest PCWorld interview I am fairly sure I read Josh saying that the Adventurer's Hall isn't necessarily a "building" you find but it's various set "locations" all over the world.

EDIT: What I imagine on difficulty btw for Adventurer's Hall companions and economy:

- Casual/Easy = Costs very little or nothing at all

- Normal = Costs some

- Hard = Costs more

- Hardcore = Costs a lot

- Hardcore Deluxe Mod (That I want to create if it isn't already in the game) = Can't hire extra companions whatsoever

Sounds like it might be a big disadvantage to create your own companions then...well, depending on how much money it costs to hire them.

I like that there's at least somewhat of an option for both styles, even if it's not ideal in either direction perhaps.

One of the reasons I liked Xan in BG1 was because he was easily missed by players. I found him by accident exploring or something. I think there was a quest that sent you in his direction but it wasn't mandatory. Ages ago tho, maybe my memory is faulty on that. Anyway, I like finding the companions and having a story to go with them in the process. But I've also liked games where you create parties from the start, with the control that goes with it (like in Might and Magic rpg's).

The latter feels less personal and less world/story involving to me, however, and my preference for story-rpgy's tends to be for companions who have personality/story relevance vs. just chess pieces I pick at the start.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

IIRC, Xan is found at the end of a main quest. Granted, he can be easy to miss, but he is there. Also, Xan would have worked better as a Fighter/Mage(as would Khalid).

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

@Kaine - Hm. Could be, like I said it was a long time ago. I remember some friends finishing the game without ever having encountered him. But they could have just missed seeing him in his "spot." I also remember rushing down there to grab him as early as possible...could you get him without having that quest? Bah...one day I'll replay the game fully again. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah, along the lines of what LadyCrimson said, I don't think it's just inherently bad to have chess-piece characters that you can make from the start, but the game benefits a lot more from the actual introduction of characters throughout the story. As opposed to, say, XCOM, which is pretty much not about the characters at all. Your soldiers' only purpose in XCOM is to play a part in the tactical combat. So, it makes perfect sense for you to just have a full squad of peeps at the beginning (although you don't actually get to create them, still, so it's not a direct parallel to the OP).

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Yeah, along the lines of what LadyCrimson said, I don't think it's just inherently bad to have chess-piece characters that you can make from the start, but the game benefits a lot more from the actual introduction of characters throughout the story. As opposed to, say, XCOM, which is pretty much not about the characters at all. Your soldiers' only purpose in XCOM is to play a part in the tactical combat. So, it makes perfect sense for you to just have a full squad of peeps at the beginning (although you don't actually get to create them, still, so it's not a direct parallel to the OP).

Hey, sparky, some of us like playing that way. Or are we breaking your immershun? :biggrin:

sonsofgygax.JPG

Hey, sparky, some of us like playing that way. Or are we breaking your immershun? :biggrin:

Hey, non-conductive material (I was just going for an antithesis of sparky... 8P), that's fantastic. I'm not sure where we've disagreed on anything, or what immersion has to do with anything. o_o

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

So, if someone likes to play differently than you do, you think they are mental...interesting... :bat:

If a man takes a good ribeye steak and boils it, he's not exercising freedom of choice. He's an idiot.

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

@Kaine - Hm. Could be, like I said it was a long time ago. I remember some friends finishing the game without ever having encountered him. But they could have just missed seeing him in his "spot." I also remember rushing down there to grab him as early as possible...could you get him without having that quest? Bah...one day I'll replay the game fully again. :)

I currently play through (once more) all the Baldur's gate saga with Baldur's gate trilogy (a mod) and some great mods (like Grey Clan or Secret of Bonehill). Xan is emprisonned in Mulahey's lair, in the Nashkel mines's last level. He's in a little room in the cave. Maybe it's the reason some missed him (even it's strange to not explore the entire place). Xan was great because he was a neutral enchanter. Good addition to Edwin in an evil party, or Dynaheir in a good one. And his moon's sword were fancy and gave him 2 AC besides some other cool stuff.

I saw too that you could roll you party members in some of the adventurers hall during the game. Kind of mercenaries that you must pay. Great idea for people that like to roll their entire party. In my point of view, yet, i really prefer companions with story and background (Aerie, Dakk'on, ...) :)

I hope I can start out with my party of 6 at the very beginning. I don't want to wait until the game is more than half over before I get my whole team assembled.

I want my 6 adventurers to experience the entire journey together right from the start.

I totally understand your point, but I can't do it myself. I rather want to find out about all the different companions during my playthrough. See how they all interact in the story..

That's the thing I'm very curious about...

"A-a-amazing Grace, how sweet the sound"

IMHO, that would be good for tactical slasher, but totally wrong for game with some role playing inside. Premade companions won't have their own story or quests, won't speak to you or to each other, won't do any of that stuff people loved in BG2 or P:T. Generally they won't seem to be alive. It just like you start with six guys (gals, whatever) instead of one, convenient, but not interesting. Which one of them would be YOUR character if you create them all by yourself?

I think it's all just about different playing styles, but it's rather difficult to put them both in one game. Adventurer's Hall could do the trick, but it must have its restrictions. That would be somewhat unfair to game balance if you could walk through the dungeons you supposed to beat alone with five more folks at your side, crushing everything to dust with that big nasty boots of yours... Oops. Sorry, lost my point.

Anyway, some people would prefer it your way, some other wouldn't, and PoE supposed to mix it up.  :yes:

• Like 1

Apparently the ability to hire customer party members is going to be tied to getting normal companions as well.  So if you are at a point where you would have no access to normal companions you won't be able to hire any.  Likewise if your current point in the story you have had a shot at 3-4 companions they seem to somehow be setting it up so that means you will have access to 3-4 hired dudes.

As it stands I hope they decide to go ahead with the more companions thing simply because all the official stuff is implying there isn't much companion depth.  Not only will there not be one of each class potentially but some of them may only be specific "alignment" meaning they won't even work for your team based on your decisions.  By Sawyer's own admission he expects most people to have 3 normal companions and 2 "hired" ones to fill specific party need.

Personally I consider story a big deal so I will take as many traditional companions as I can.

Edited by Karkarov

As it stands I hope they decide to go ahead with the more companions thing simply because all the official stuff is implying there isn't much companion depth.  Not only will there not be one of each class potentially but some of them may only be specific "alignment" meaning they won't even work for your team based on your decisions.  By Sawyer's own admission he expects most people to have 3 normal companions and 2 "hired" ones to fill specific party need.

Personally I consider story a big deal so I will take as many traditional companions as I can.

Yeah, agree. That's why i voted yes to the poll about more stretch goals. I really don't want to hire any companion in the adventure hall while having some choices to gather different style of parties through various differents playthrough.

Apparently the ability to hire customer party members is going to be tied to getting normal companions as well.  So if you are at a point where you would have no access to normal companions you won't be able to hire any.  Likewise if your current point in the story you have had a shot at 3-4 companions they seem to somehow be setting it up so that means you will have access to 3-4 hired dudes.

Interesting and a bit disappointing. I was hoping not to use any hired companions. I can see folks wanting to use more on subsequent playthroughs to experiment with group composition, but for me companion chat is a significant source of enjoyment in Infinity Engine games.

I hope it won't also mean that I'll feel the need to play particular classes based on when specific companions compatible with my alignment will become available.

Edited by Lady Evenstar

I took from Sawyer's statement that he expected people to play with a mix of premade and custom companions because he figured it would be a common personal preference, not because of a large number of companions being restricted based on your actions.

Yes. No one's said anything about how party members respond to dispositions and faction reps yet but given that we know that it's possible to become notable for multiple things (say wit and cruelty) I'd be surprised if the devs make it easy to piss off  a bunch of companions to the point where they leave.

Edit: Also when Sawyer has talked about people using a mixture he's referred to players strongly disliking a particular character - hey there Disciple - yet still wanting a character of that class in their party.

Edited by MasterPrudent