Steam Box, Nvidia Shield, Steam OS ETC: Not Supporting Controllers in 2014 Released Game Is NOT Forward Thinking

And I can most likely assure you, if something awesome is not happening every five seconds, I'm doing something wrong.

That's sarcasm, right? Right?

No.

if something awesome is not happening every five seconds, I'm doing something wrong.

that's the key - in old school You make something awesome happen instead of game making something awesome for You.

If a game is boring, that doesn't mean it is Old School.

It means it is boring.

• 1 month later...

So I know this topic has been discussed on the forums before but the devs answers always seem to stubbornly be that it's a "niche" audience that plays games this way on PC.  What I want to ask is, if it is such a niche audience way are companies as big as Valve and Nvidia putting significant amount of efforts into supporting big screen experiences?  Why Steam OS, Steam Box and Nvidia Shield?  Are you implying Valve is seeking out a niche audience? Are you assuming the Steambox won't be successful?  Because if not, it makes no sense in 2014 why you would develop a game that seems like it could very easily support controllers w/o even considering it as a viable option.

I personally have no problem with keyboard and mouse but I have 3 friends that I personally helped build a PC for in the last year.  All of them game on a TV using Steam Big Picture Mode. I'm pretty sure they aren't alone.  A quick browse of Steam's "Controller Supported Games' (which is an entire category on Steam now) will clearly demonstrate that supporting controllers on PC games is becoming the NORM not the exception.

I don't really understand why the designers insist this isn't important.  I don't think they are really thinking about the fact that this game will be out around the same time as the Steam Box and Steam OS are getting their big push.  This seems highly short sighted and stuck in their ways.

I'm pretty sure that your kind of game would be playing Assassin's Creed. Perhaps the best RPG you can find that is "thumb-ready" is Skyrim on a console. Either way, this is a cRPG. You couldn't play something as immersive and enjoyable as Baldur's Gate or IceWind Dale with two thumbsticks, four buttons and four triggers. You need 60+ keys and a mouse to really enjoy those games. Or perhaps two keyboards...?

• 4 weeks later...

Why? Why not support controllers? Here's why...

X3 - A game made for a PC... Though they did start adding controller support in TC & AP, hardly anyone uses them... they suck for aiming, period.

http://youtu.be/Ua3zy9c59fg?t=8m3s

Now, the series reboots. And, in spite of the developer's denial... the game files are filled with XBox 360 tags and the menus, while lengthly before, are now completely useless all together.

X4 -

That's why, consoles suck the depth and imagination out of traditional computer games and replace them with trivial and trite gameplay. I like a lot of games made for consoles, but when PC games have to be co-developed for consoles the whole game has to be engineered for people whom lack the mental dexterity to use more than two thumbs when playing games.

Edit: Not to mention the lacking the ability to follow something called a clue, and call the game dumb if there isn't... well you know, this arrow pointing to where everything is.

If you're a hardcore console player there's plenty of games for you to choose from. Isn't there another new FIFA or something... A new call of duty? FPS #14,218? I'm sure someone put some new sneakers and jerseys in something you could spend another 60 bucks on. Don't come here knocking when our stuff looks more awesome... Games are so much better when the "6 year old player" game play is not a consideration.

Edited by Luridis
  • Like 1

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

LOL My jabs at console players there are of the tongue-in-cheek varity. I do play console games myself, some are pretty awesome. But, when a game, it's concept, or genre typically expects precision and volume for a human interface, the game gets horribly hampered by reducing 104 keys to a dozen buttons and a mouse to a terribly imprecise gimbal.

On a side note, gimbals don't have to suck as much as they do on game controllers. But, really good gimbals are expensive...

post-46225-0-90203600-1402696555_thumb.jpg

Edited by Luridis

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.