Dual Class / Multi Class?

They will allow Fighters to use grimoires etc. 

Are you sure about this? I thought gromires are unique to wizards, fighters would be able to buy a active talents, that is like magic. But this would be a single "spell".

I'm pretty sure I've read that there would be talents allowing Fighters to use low-level grimoire/low-level spells in a grimoire. This is to facilitate the fighter-heavy fighter/mage concept, as I understood things. I might very well be wrong on this though. 

I'm pretty sure I've read that there would be talents allowing Fighters to use low-level grimoire/low-level spells in a grimoire. This is to facilitate the fighter-heavy fighter/mage concept, as I understood things. I might very well be wrong on this though. 

Oh, that's interesting, I thought that talents would allow fighters to use "magicky" abilities. I don't remember reading about fighters using grimoires. Can you post a link to that if you happen to bump into it again?

Oh, that's interesting, I thought that talents would allow fighters to use "magicky" abilities. I don't remember reading about fighters using grimoires. Can you post a link to that if you happen to bump into it again?

I will if I do, but a cursory search has made me think I've just imagined it. 

All right, I found a bunch of posts by Josh on the matter, and I was wrong. I couldn't find anything about Fighters being able to use grimoires. I did however see that he said that you could take talents giving Fighters light magical talents that gave them increased versatility. So what other posters said is correct and what I said is wrong. 

All right, I found a bunch of posts by Josh on the matter, and I was wrong. I couldn't find anything about Fighters being able to use grimoires. I did however see that he said that you could take talents giving Fighters light magical talents that gave them increased versatility. So what other posters said is correct and what I said is wrong. 

Ah, ok, no worries. I wonder how the talents will play out, though. I mean if one of the fighter's talents is to shoot a ball of energy from his hands, it might feel out of place and gimmicky. I hope the talents will still reflect the nature of the class. The ability to carry a grimoire would have been a nice way of explaining why the fighter can suddenly fire off these not-typically-used-by-a-fighter kinds of spells.

Edited by Boox

They will allow Fighters to use grimoires etc.

Are you sure about this? I thought gromires are unique to wizards, fighters would be able to buy a active talents, that is like magic. But this would be a single "spell".

Grimoires have already been confirmed as the ultimate* crushing damage type weapon in P:E. PoE. Whatever.

*Subjective opinion, if you can't appreciate the sublimity of bludgeoning the mightiest enemies to death with a really fat book, then you're missing something in your life.

I always felt that Multiclassing defeated the purpose being a specific class in the first place...especially when Fighter / Mage was incredibly powerful in D&D. I don't think that classes should enforce stereotypes, like the old, gray / ageing Wizard...but at the same, there needs to be drawbacks and areas of focus. I also believe there needs to the ability to make 'strong' builds...but not multi-classing gamebreaing cheese.

What pretty much others have said, but "Multi-Classing" or "Dual-Classing" in Eternity is a somewhat... can't find the words right now but...

It'd call it "Multi-Role", a Fighter can act as a Ranger (but isn't at all as good as a Ranger). A Wizard can act as a Fighter, but isn't as good at it either etc. etc.

So basically what Eternity allows is the Player to mix-and-match different roles, but not in a standard "Multi-Class" or "Dual-Class" kind of way. I suppose you could possibly build a character to be 50/50 in two different roles, and thus it'd be a "Dual-Class", in an abstract kind of way.

bunch of threads on this already. It's pretty even split by the last poll, however, multiclassing is out. Already decided. I'm disappointed but I can live with it. You can't make everyone happy all the time.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

why is everybody hatin dual class? you finish the game playin your fav classes, then you can connect them and enjoy it even more! why do you care if mage+fighter is too strong its not mmorpg jesus. it adds more fun and more options to thr game.

whats better, 11 options, or 11x11(-11)? do the math

IRMA you aren't getting the point.

You can make a Wizard and put that Wizard in the stead of your Fighter's role. It's not going to be better than the Fighter at doing what the Fighter does best, but you'd conceptually have a Wizard/Fighter. Just equip your Wizard with Sword & Shield and Full Plate Armor, maybe even gain some Talents that make your Wizard better at Melee Engagement as well.

If you play League of Legends... what Obsidian "seems"* to be doing is kind of... Zyra is a good example:
- Zyra is a great Mid-Lane Champion, high AP (Ability Power) damage. A Wizard in a sense.

- Zyra can also play the Support role, due to her Spells/Abilities. She can lock down enemies really good. Support, comparatively, could be the same thing as a "Chanter" or a "Priest" I presume.

In other words, Zyra can play 2 different roles. She can potentially be a "Dual-Role" Champion in one and the same game as well if she's played well (Both Supportive and Wizard-y). In a sense that's the same thing as a Dual-Class. In a sense.

* I admit, I have no bloody clue but I am just speculating based on the information I have read on classes, and it's also easier for me to explain what "different roles" means.

Edited by Osvir

Yeah, I think the thing to keep in mind with this is each class has something they do 'extremely' well. So, as folks have said if you want a 'Fighter/Mage' you'd want to make a Wizard and then focus them on being able to survive melee confrontation, focus on melee-ish oriented spells and give em some melee weapons. The main reason that mage will never be as good as the 'fighter' in the fighters roll (not in a DnD sense but specifically in PoE sense) is the Fighter is the only class that.. 'stickies' multiple enemies to them.

Basically, as I understand it, any class can engage in melee combat with an enemy and it'll 'sticky' that enemy to them making it difficult for that enemy to bypass said character. So a Barbarian or a Paladin (other melee oriented examples) could ultimately tie down 1 enemy each. A Fighter is the only class that excels at blocking, or 'sticking' multiple enemies at a time, allowing them to effectively be a mobile wall. It's what they're 'good' at. It's what they're designed for.

So you can make your Fighter/Mage just fine by speccing out your Wizard for melee combat, they'll be about the same as a Fighter/Mage in DnD terms, they'll be able to hold down a single enemy like a Barb or Paladin would. But they'll never be a pure fighter who can hold down multiple enemies like the purebread tank he is. On the other hand you could make a Fighter and give him some more magicy ranged related stuff but he'll never be casting fireballs or any crazy epicy like spells. But he may have some oddball Fighter-oriented Spell-like abilities. Everyone will really, considering everyone uses there soul to fuel powers of some kind.

I wouldn't be to surprised if fighters and barbs and the like had the ability to fling low dmg explosive blasts with there weapons like some anime but I also wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't make it in. Not even sure where I stand on wanting that. I know my first chars gonna be a Barb. Like the idea of there charge ability, really want to learn more about how there rage works. Hoping for some update in the coming weeks that sheds some more light on them like we've gotten with monks and whatnot.

Def Con: kills owls dead

Afraid not. Neither one is in the game, though Talents will largely serve as a manner to differentiate and hybridise classes. They will allow Fighters to use grimoires etc. 

Here I was thinking something much simpler with your statement: fighters using the grimoire as a blunt weapon... :p

Heck, some of those grimoires are big enough, you could probably use it as a shield too!

Edited by Kveldulf

Dual-class was about spending twice as much time on char, rewarding you with all abilities of both classes. There is now way picking skills from different classes could cover this.

I sincerely hope somebody will make dual class modification to the game.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

IRMA:

"why is everybody hatin dual class? you finish the game playin your fav classes, then you can connect them and enjoy it even more! why do you care if mage+fighter is too strong its not mmorpg jesus. it adds more fun and more options to thr game.

whats better, 11 options, or 11x11(-11)? do the math"