Volunteer voice actors?

Volunteer voice actors?  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Should Obsidian consider holding auditions for volunteer voice work?

• Absolutely, let's do it!
    • Good idea, but probably shouldn't be a priority.
    • Not really, no-one expects this game to have much voice -over.
    • Absolutely not, let's just focus on the game itself!

I was wondering what the community thought about possibly allowing backers to audition as volunteer voice actors for PoE? Obviously, it would be completely unreasonable to expect the game to be fully voiced, even with unpaid talent. However, I do think that there is a unique opportunity to both flesh out the storytelling, as well as letting backers to give part of themselves to the game.

Take the fraction of the community that is good at voice acting. Now, remove all the ones that don't have an appropriate audio setup. Congratulations, you have a group so small that it is not worth the headache it would cause Obsidian.

Touché ;)

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

As long as it's possibly to set a sound or voice to start from the dialogue, whoever wants this could always get together and add voices themselves through the magic of modding.

I don't particularly want Obsidian to spend time on it though.

• Like 2

well if any famous actors are among the backers and want to volunteer for a few voice overs i would not mind, but i dont think it's going to happen

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Really I can't see too much good coming out of unpaid voice actors short of professionals volunteering to work for free. I'm voting no on this one because without quality voice acting I'd really rather have no voice acting at all as bad voice acting really detracts from the experience. If pros wanted to do it for free, well, that'd be a different story.

Edited by Pshaw

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

I'm pretty sure the voice actors' wages aren't even the main cost item. Using lots of voice will force them to nail down the dialog early enough to get the recordings done, processed, and integrated into the game, whereas with limited voice acting they can keep on tweaking the dialog until Gold Master... and even beyond.

What's more, a fully-voiced isometric game would feel very weird. You really want to stare at the screen with a couple of midgets in the middle of a landscape perhaps waving their hands, and listening to VO? I wouldn't. You'd have to go with Fallout-style animated talking heads (FO1 and 2 here, natch), which is another big animated can of worms.

So no, no no. Even more than a console port, this would actively make the game worse, not better.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I think it could be a good thing but shouldn't be done just for the sake of having voice acting.....if Obsidian were willing to evaluate volunteers and only select solid talent then ok....but that would cost time, money and resources as well. The game shouldn't have just any crappy voice acting because some people decided to volunteer.

1zq6793.jpg

I'm pretty sure the voice actors' wages aren't even the main cost item. Using lots of voice will force them to nail down the dialog early enough to get the recordings done, processed, and integrated into the game, whereas with limited voice acting they can keep on tweaking the dialog until Gold Master... and even beyond.

What's more, a fully-voiced isometric game would feel very weird. You really want to stare at the screen with a couple of midgets in the middle of a landscape perhaps waving their hands, and listening to VO? I wouldn't. You'd have to go with Fallout-style animated talking heads (FO1 and 2 here, natch), which is another big animated can of worms.

So no, no no. Even more than a console port, this would actively make the game worse, not better.

Nothing needs to be fully voiced. But if they want to give it the same amount of voice over work as PS:T or Baldur's Gate 2 and lack the funds, that could easily be remedied. That would hardly effect the overall game in a negative way. No one said anything about turning this into Fallout.

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO--------

Oh, you don't expect the game to be fully voiced? Carry on, then.

I'm surprised no one has linked one of the previous threads about this already. Although that other thread's approach is a bit different (hence OP, some of us might expect this thread to go down a similar road :p). http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60051-merged-voice-acting-suggestion/

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Well though i'm pretty stupid, I still consider myself able to read. So no.

A bit of dubbing for some specific dialogs is enough already.

No one said anything about turning this into Fallout.

God the first Fallout had an epic voice acting <3

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

considering the quality of amateur voice acting in some mods I know, I'll pass.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I'm not sure I want to know what you lot sound like.  :getlost:

I sound like I have a foghorn up my nose (allergies). It's very sexy, I tell you.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The first time I saw this topic brought up was here:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63940-concerning-the-vo-budget-for-project-eternity/

Anyway, no. Community voice acting = More expensive + far poorer voice acting than in-house/professionally hired work.