Turn-Based or Real Time

I'm so glad that this game is going to be real time with pause (was saddened to see Torment becoming turn based).

Hehe .. I was a bit disappointed about the outcome in the poll for Torment as well.

But I guess we just have to wait and see how TB works out for the game.

Glad to hear that Eternity will use RTwP as I prefer this system in general for this kind of games.

So I assume it is a similar system to the one used in Baldur's Gate and the likes?

Does/will it have an option to autopause on encounters and other specific situations?

Yes to both, at least based on the info the devs have given. If I remember correctly, you will be able to customize auto-pause settings (i.e. enemy spotted, trap spotted, etc.) as well.

Edited by Boox

So I assume it is a similar system to the one used in Baldur's Gate and the likes?

Does/will it have an option to autopause on encounters and other specific situations?

Yes to both, at least based on the info the devs have given. If I remember correctly, you will be able to customize auto-pause settings (i.e. enemy spotted, trap spotted, etc.) as well.

That's good to hear, I do not have the best reflexes in the world so it is very helpful :).

This is great to hear, I just realized that I wasted some of my money on Torment: Tides of Numenera, which is a shame. Turn based combat is so boring, I can't believe that they'll ruin the game doing this.. If only I could get back my pledge there I could use those money to raise my pledge for Pillars of Eternity..

Turn based gets tedious in times as these when everyone has ADHD.

Aren't you just indicting yourself? You should have plead the fifth.

All jokes aside, RTwP can be tedious, a drive can be tedious, reading can be tedious, etc. Tediousness isn't an inherent quality of TB combat systems. This newly emergent anti-turn-based combat movement should focus on the real offenders: tabletop/P&P RPGs/boardgames. You can't rest until Chess becomes RTS.

A well-designed TB game is good. A poorly designed TB game is not good. A well-designed RTwP game is good. A poorly designed RTwP game is not good.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 2

ToEE used turn-based combat... which didn't seem at all boring. Ah well, the MTV generation has been indoctrinated differently.

The MTV generation is in their 40s now.  

On another note, I slightly prefer RTwP because it forces tactical decisions for movement as well as positions.  However, I find this whole argument tedious at best.  Turn-based fanatics love to talk about how smart they are how dumb RT games are, even though I'd hardly call something like Supreme Commander or Dawn of War stupid and lacking tactics.  RTwP players love to talk about how boring turn-based games are, and how they make trash mobs unbearable even though that's not true.  Occasionally turn-based people will counter with the existence of auto-resolve and quick animation systems solving all the cumbersome time problems; but if you're skipping combat, then that's an indicator of a far greater problem.  You can't laud something as a strength and then defend it by saying it can be skipped.

You can like Fallout and you can like BG.  One has its technical heritage in board games the other has its technical heritage in RTS (Infinity was originally an RTS engine).  Neither are particularly dumb nor lacking in engagement.

• Like 1

Turn-based fanatics love to talk about how smart they are how dumb RT games are

I am not familiar with many people played more than causally in both types, that will make ridicules claim the above. In my experience those who do, are either associating the more casual design of "modern" games with RT or simply can't handle RT and go for TB because of the sense of control it offers. Edited by Mor

This is great to hear, I just realized that I wasted some of my money on Torment: Tides of Numenera, which is a shame. Turn based combat is so boring, I can't believe that they'll ruin the game doing this.. If only I could get back my pledge there I could use those money to raise my pledge for Pillars of Eternity..

Torment ruined by turn based combat system... implying  Torment is about combat

• Like 2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I'm so glad that this game is going to be real time with pause (was saddened to see Torment becoming turn based).

Because of that I just upgraded my pledge to get Beta access..

RTwP is a bad system according to Inxile and their "Leader in Exile", Mr. Brian Fargo. That is why Torment HAD to use a turn-based system, they really wanted to make a good game and not a bad one like Pillars of Eternity.

Pillars of Eternity will be a bad game and Torment will be a great game. Oh well. But maybe we can have a vote so that Pillars of Eternity can become a great turn-based game too. lol

Edited by Helm
  • Like 1

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

I think it's just about the game mechanics. Game mechanics for PE allow RtwP. While Torment is inspired by a real tabletop game. I didn't read the rules of the game, but maybe Turn based combats is a better choice for Torment. I have no idea at all, and i'm not game designer. That's why i just let people who know about this stuff make the decisions.

I remember that the first time a ran BG i was quite of "Ow! What is this?? Real time? Erk!". Finally it was a wonderfull experience. And the turn based fallout 1 and 2 were pretty good too. Today i can't imagine BG in turn based, and fallout in RTwP. And no, Torment is not about combat, like Planescape in its days.

I don't really see an issue with RTwP. With the right auto-pause settings, you can turn it into a turn-based game. And if you disable auto-pause, you have a real-time game. Everybody happy, a win-win scenario. Why limit a game to 1 mechanic, if you can have everything.

So way to go PoE  :grin:

"Ah, we are all heroes: You and Boo and I... Hamsters and rangers everywhere REJOICE"

I don't really see an issue with RTwP. With the right auto-pause settings, you can turn it into a turn-based game. And if you disable auto-pause, you have a real-time game. Everybody happy, a win-win scenario. Why limit a game to 1 mechanic, if you can have everything.

So way to go PoE  :grin:

While I'm ok with either RtwP or TB I disagre with this a bit. I mean you couldn't have Fallout 2's combat system hold up if you just let it be RtwP. The whole thing is based around action points for movement or attacking and it just wouldn't translate without tearing down the whole combat system.

Personally I was very happy with Torment becoming a TB game as I find their combat systems stand up to the test of time a bit better than RtwP. Also there are just too few true TB games out there for my tastes. :-p

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.