New Kickstarter incoming

You know what I would love? I would love to know what Obsidian is actually planning. Far more than I want to know what all the folks on the forum would want. Maybe it's just me.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

That said, I don't hold it against them... too much. I've worked in project management enough to know that it wasn't practical to have fully planned out the full impact of all of those deliverables... especially when it wasn't at all expected that the Kickstarter would be so successful. I do very much hope I'll have this to play during my downtime during the Christmas 2014 holiday though.

I concur.  This isn't Grand Theft Auto V, 2 years + a couple months should be more than enough time to learn unity, get what tools you need, and put the game together.  So while I don't mind it being delayed past April I will be very... disappointed if it doesn't arrive sometime in December. 

That said it is sort of strange but most of the vocal backers think it would be okay if they took like 4-5 years and cite companies like Blizzard and such as good examples.  No offense, but Blizzard takes 5 years to make a game that is nothing but a rehash of a game they already made with new graphics slapped on.  I really wouldn't point to them as a good developers. 

For comparisons sake it took Blizzard somewhere around 5 years (probably longer, they just aren't honest about their dev cycle) to make Diablo 3.  It took Grinding Gear Games 3 years to get Path of Exile into a public beta that has now seen real release.  Bear in mind... many people will also tell you Path of Exile is the better game, and it was made with a dramatically smaller team to boot.

So yeah back to point... please aim for 2014 devs at least get the year right.

Blizzard is a bad example because it's clear that it doesn't take more than 3 years or so to finish a single player campaign. Most of the time on their games goes into designing multiplayer systems and balancing them. There's hardware concerns like with servers and they have their matchmaking systems which double as DRM. If they made games like they used to where multiplayer was just a fun little addition and not a primary focus of play, then they'd turn out games as fast as most other developers.

I would love a sci-fi RPG from Obsidian, preferably incorporating a lot of space exploration. A real Star Trek RPG from Obsidian would be ace.

I think Obsidian could do better with darker setting than Star Trek. Maybe Farscape, the schizophrenic under-rated tv series' game by the under-rated studio. It has a great name and it was awesome and it fits the great writing talent at Obsidian... I can see it! 

I would love a sci-fi RPG from Obsidian, preferably incorporating a lot of space exploration. A real Star Trek RPG from Obsidian would be ace.

I think Obsidian could do better with darker setting than Star Trek. Maybe Farscape, the schizophrenic under-rated tv series' game by the under-rated studio. It has a great name and it was awesome and it fits the great writing talent at Obsidian... I can see it! 

Are you saying you want them to produce an under-rated game?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'm saying 2 negatives might produce a positive thing =P

I'm saying 2 negatives might produce a positive thing =P

Wow, talk about your long shots.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Farscape or even better stargate.

Did you just imply Stargate is better than Farscape?

I want to hear this justification.

They're both campy as all hell. I just like stargate more. Although haven't finished farscape, almost though.

Farscape is literally more creative than Stargate ever was. 

Stargate started the idea that sci-fi is just flashy explosions and funny looking aliens. There's a reason why Stargate fans hated Universe.

I'm not trying to sound like a huge fanboy here (even though I am sounding like one regardless, but I'm indifferent one both shows), but to say Stargate is even in the same league as Farscape is ridiculous.

Keep in mind I'm not saying you can't have your opinion. 

Edited by Bryy

Hmmm not really. Science fiction started out as all b movies focused on weird aliens and the like. Stargate didn't start that. Stargate is much more detailed and vast than farscape. I mean don't get me wrong farscape is cool, but there's plenty of action, explosions and cheesy crap in it as stargate. I loved Universe personally, although they did really screw up by making almost every off ship episode not really advance the plot much at all.