New Kickstarter incoming

They should try something like Rifts, so I can shoot down vampires with a plasma rifle. Preferably have some Heroes Unlimited influence as well.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I hope that it won't be 3d-ish like skyrim or similar, there are a lot of other games, and the story usually is less 'deep' than in usually 'vintage' graphic.... yeah, DA:O was a great title, maybe with a good back story too, but remember DA2 ........... and I'm forgetting something or NWN2 was 'cut' because of budget/time problems? 

And yet, if the universe would be steampunk, it will be great to see it in 3d..... 

By the way, I will probably back it. It depends on how many money I will be able to spend at the time :)

You know what I'd love to see? A high medieval-fantasy post-apocalyptic RPG.

Why does the apocalypse always only happen in the present/near-future, while it's always STOPPED in fantasy-500-years-ago? :)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

You know what I'd love to see? A high medieval-fantasy post-apocalyptic RPG.

That's kind of the shtick of Age of Decadence (only with pseudo-romans instead of high fantasy). Didn't really work that well; then again, I generally lose my interest at "roman".

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

That's kind of the shtick of Age of Decadence (only with pseudo-romans instead of high fantasy). Didn't really work that well; then again, I generally lose my interest at "roman".

Didn't know that. :)

...caused by magic. WoT seemed to follow that theme. Somewhat.

Didn't think of that, but yeah. That and the Mistborn Trilogy, I suppose.

That's the basis for the Shannara series, actually.

Didn't know that, either. Is that a book series?

Also, to be clearer:

A) I just haven't seen it done, in an RPG. I wasn't meaning to say it's never been done. And...

B) What I'd particularly like to see is a Fallout-style, survival-y type approach, as opposed to a "well, technically an apocalyptic event destroyed 95% of the world before now, but everyone's more-or-less doing okay now" approach (like Mistborn or WoT, for example).

Again, not saying that that hasn't been done, either, but I just wanted to be clearer. I think it'd be awesome to be roaming around surviving, Fallout style, but in a land of swords and magic, when everything's kind of broken/salvaged/scarce and the population of the world is quite low. I just haven't seen anything like that in a game I've come across. If there's a game like that already, then awesome! 8D

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

A first-person sandbox RPG would be entirely unsuitable for a kickstarter. Budget would have to be 20-40M for that sort of thing to be worthwhile. If they do another kickstarter, they'd be foolish not to use the engine built for PoE, so whatever the genre or style, it would be an isometric, party-based RPG.

If they do do it, I really hope they'll go with a genuinely fresh setting, i.e. not pseudo-medieval Western tradfantasy, space opera, nor post-apoc; all of those are getting really threadbare, no matter what twists you put in them. Steampunk and cyberpunk are a little fresher, but not all that much. I'd hope for something genuinely new. I like this setting, for example.

Why would the budget have to be that? There's already been numerous 1st person view rpgs that have been on kickstarter.

A notable one is Shroud of the Avatar (from Richard Garriott, creator of the Ultima series) which uses the Unity engine as well (engine that PE is using).

This thread basically looks like 12 pages of speculation. Do we have any solid information about this supposed new title yet?

No.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

This thread basically looks like 12 pages of speculation. Do we have any solid information about this supposed new title yet?

Are you speculating as to whether or not this thread is 12 pages of speculation? 8)

• Like 1

Are you speculating as to whether or not this thread is 12 pages of speculation? 8)

Yes! :p

Seeing that pages 11 and 12 seemed to be of the speculatory variety, I provided my own level of speculation as to the contents of pages 1 - 10! :)

• Like 2

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Seeing that pages 11 and 12 seemed to be of the speculatory variety, I provided my own level of speculation as to the contents of pages 1 - 10! :)

Well Obsidian has stated intent to start another Kickstarter once they can show PoE in a playable state....which would be later this year. But no decision or announcement has been made about what title or game would be next but they did say it's likely going to be a licensed property....so an IP they don't own but I'm guessing known quantity.

1zq6793.jpg

Well Obsidian has stated intent to start another Kickstarter once they can show PoE in a playable state....which would be later this year. But no decision or announcement has been made about what title or game would be next but they did say it's likely going to be a licensed property....so an IP they don't own but I'm guessing known quantity.

Kind of funny considering that the Kickstarter site still shows an estimated delivery (i.e. completed game) of April 2014, and we still don't have the game in a playable state 3 months prior to that. I don't recall ever seeing an official explanation as to why the delay is occurring, I simply note on the backer site that we are now looking at December 2014.

The official explanation is that the Kickstarter was too successful.

Kickstarter doesn't allow you to change the date after the funding period has started. They already said during the Kickstarter that with the expanded funding they wouldn't be able to make the April, 2014 date.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I like to see a western take on high fantasy/sci-fi. Basically what if Americans/Euros made star ocean franchise. But I know some dorks would hate that because its not the slight bit realistic. If mideval clerics could smite storm troopers with lazer guns with the power of their guns and steel weaponry. That is why I would make it a high powered setting. Where everything has the potential to be superman or beyond level in power but mostly everything is well beyond average human power.

The image I got in my head based on Mr. Feargus' idea of Skyrim's open world crossed with PoE was one GIANT map to explore instead of the smaller, mostly unconnected, maps of BG1, BG2 et al. Imagine cities actually city sized on one continuous map instead of the disconnected sections of Athkatla. Imagine exiting the city gates to a sprawling wilderness that stretched for in-game miles, with no artificial path-ing like the s path in the Druid's Grove of BG2.

My imagination really runs away with that idea. Need to travel miles quickly? Cast haste on your party! lol

As for where my vote would go for a new setting/IP... Post-apoc fantasy world, Dark Sun setting if possible.

I hope Obsidian dangle several possibilities in front of us and then do a preference style vote prior to doing the next kickstarter. The vote could be for setting type, and then they could go to town on it before starting the kickstarter.

The official explanation is that the Kickstarter was too successful.

Kickstarter doesn't allow you to change the date after the funding period has started. They already said during the Kickstarter that with the expanded funding they wouldn't be able to make the April, 2014 date.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather them take their time and get the game right. But their claims during and shortly after the Kickstarter were that all of the stretch goals had been carefully planned out in terms of their impacts to delivery timeframes, and that they could simply ramp up the size of their team to accomodate the expanded content in order to still deliver on time.

That said, I don't hold it against them... too much. I've worked in project management enough to know that it wasn't practical to have fully planned out the full impact of all of those deliverables... especially when it wasn't at all expected that the Kickstarter would be so successful. I do very much hope I'll have this to play during my downtime during the Christmas 2014 holiday though.

• Like 1

Oh wow, did they really promise April 2014?

I didn't even know that.

Yes Adam said in an interview, that they would simply increase the team size to accommodate for the bigger stretch goals.

But I really don't expect the game to be ready anywhere near that time. I just thought it would come out somewhere at the end of this year.

http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58248

[Marceror] The Kickstarter campaign wrapped up this week. Every single stretch goal was met – including the $4m stretch goal that was announced mere hours before the campaign wrapped up! First, a big congratulations.

[Adam] Thanks! We had no idea this was going to happen. We thought maybe we could hit $3.5m, maybe. I woke up on Tuesday morning (10/16/2012, the final day of the Kickstarter campaign) and saw that we hit $3.5 million, and I was like holy crap, we better put up a new stretch goal!

[Marceror] With all the content that you’ve committed to including in the game, is April 2014 still looking like a feasible release date?

[Adam] Yeah. In the beginning it may have seemed like we were a bit caught off guard by how quickly things were happening, but we did have a plan for the stretch goals ahead of time. The development team will be ramping up in size to tackle the increased scope of the game.

I don't really have problems with waiting, even if it's next year as long as they get it right.

Others probably won't be that lax sadly.

That said, I don't hold it against them... too much. I've worked in project management enough to know that it wasn't practical to have fully planned out the full impact of all of those deliverables... especially when it wasn't at all expected that the Kickstarter would be so successful. I do very much hope I'll have this to play during my downtime during the Christmas 2014 holiday though.

I concur.  This isn't Grand Theft Auto V, 2 years + a couple months should be more than enough time to learn unity, get what tools you need, and put the game together.  So while I don't mind it being delayed past April I will be very... disappointed if it doesn't arrive sometime in December. 

That said it is sort of strange but most of the vocal backers think it would be okay if they took like 4-5 years and cite companies like Blizzard and such as good examples.  No offense, but Blizzard takes 5 years to make a game that is nothing but a rehash of a game they already made with new graphics slapped on.  I really wouldn't point to them as a good developers. 

For comparisons sake it took Blizzard somewhere around 5 years (probably longer, they just aren't honest about their dev cycle) to make Diablo 3.  It took Grinding Gear Games 3 years to get Path of Exile into a public beta that has now seen real release.  Bear in mind... many people will also tell you Path of Exile is the better game, and it was made with a dramatically smaller team to boot.

So yeah back to point... please aim for 2014 devs at least get the year right.

Well, and personally Diablo 3, while a good game in many ways, is a rather large disappointment for me. More time doesn't necessarily = a better game. I used to have a lot more faith in Blizzard, but they have sort of lost me more recently.

As for PoE, if the original estimate was April, and we have already added 7 months to that, I'm hopeful for a game that delivers to schedule AND is utterly awesome. And to say I'm hopeful doesn't fully capture it. This is my expectation as a backer, and someone who has trusted Obsidian with my finances.

Expansions and sequels can serve as those extra development opportunities to push the bar even further (would be nice if sequels provide improvements to earlier versions of the PoE engine).

Edited by Marceror