New Kickstarter incoming

I don't care how many cookbooks Tim Cain has to sell to fund Arcanum 2 - make it happen!

Can somebody tell me what this coockbook from Tim even is? I saw it in the addons you can buy but i have no idea what it contains.

Here you go:

RPG Eats!

Do you like to eat? Do you like RPGs? I am going to give out my favorite RPG themed recipes to all of our backers! The Project Eternity Cooking with Tim Recipe Book will contain 10 delicious recipes in PDF format. Enjoy the good eats while you play Project Eternity when it's released!

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

An idea:

Imagine a game like Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity or Tides of Numenera as a First-Person cRPG. Built with the same mechanics, either in TB (with AP like Fallout, or ToEE), or RTwP.

Real-Time with Pause would be most interesting, in my opinion. Fight enemies like Skyrim, but more important with parry + block rules. Adaptable AI, if you block correctly more, they will block correctly more when you play another class/character. Pause mid-swing, switch to your Wizard, cast or chant some spells, switch character. A little bit more "actiony" than Baldur's

Gate but still tactical and similar. Be directly in control of one character at a time, yet control your entire party as well.

Adaptable AI positioning. Basically recording Player moves and adapting itself to it. If you cast a certain spell against a certain enemy a number of times, the AI will begin to do the same on creatures bearing similar traits.

Could this work for PoE by the way? Adaptable AI that is.

That sounds horribly confusing for party management. Where's the overview?

Hm, a local minimap could be one solution. Isometric-styled minimap for overview. Soundsets or "pings"/signals ("Your other character is in danger!" red ping, or "I need assisstance!" sound-set). But switching characters... Bindable Hotkeys, default F1-F6 could also function?

Integrated tutorial into the story. Menu Management with an individual "Party Control Menu" for inventory, AI-Scripting and switching characters.

Pause mechanics to make it less hectic, and/or confusing really (With Pause-Mechanics you allow the Player to take their time to understand mechanics as well).

If executed correctly there'd be no confusion.

Turn-Based FP RPG with combat like ToEE could also be pretty cool. Albion, an old PC game, has some sort of outdated mechanics like this. The only game I can think of though. But I think a Real-Time environment would be even cooler.

It probably contains all the brilliant ideas he... "cooks" up. 8)

(This can easily be made a duel pun if Monte Cook is a co-author.)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I hope it will be another rpg but 3d this time. Something like KOTOR 2, but with fluid camera shots like dragon age origins. 

While I can understand people wanting a 3D-based game, the work that they put into the design of this games tools would be wasted. Whereas staying within this 'Infinity Engine' style means that they would be able to do more with the game while having all the tools prepared and ready.

Though I wouldn't be averse to 3D at all, certainly would prefer some more of these beautifully hand-drawn backgrounds.

• Like 2

The title doesn't really describe it all that well- all that's decided is that they want to create more games in the Eternity engine to turn it into the new Infinity engine- basically, the Icewind Dale or Torment to Pillars of Eternity's Baldur's Gate. Which sounds awesome, really! The interviewer focused a bit too much on that particular dev's favorite idea- something more open world like Skyrim, but still using Eternity gameplay. And that's just one of many ideas, we'll know what they actually decide on in March or April.

Yeah, thanks for summing it up again, I was getting a bit confused.

I'll be keeping an eye on this new project, will probably even back it if I'm interested.

I'd love it if it were to be a Sci-Fi game =D

I hope it will be another rpg but 3d this time. Something like KOTOR 2, but with fluid camera shots like dragon age origins. 

While I can understand people wanting a 3D-based game, the work that they put into the design of this games tools would be wasted. Whereas staying within this 'Infinity Engine' style means that they would be able to do more with the game while having all the tools prepared and ready.

Though I wouldn't be averse to 3D at all, certainly would prefer some more of these beautifully hand-drawn backgrounds.

I agree with Silverbarr, both options would be viable!

It probably contains all the brilliant ideas he... "cooks" up. 8)

(This can easily be made a duel pun if Monte Cook is a co-author.)

Hungry for more half-baked humor...

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Hungry for more half-baked humor...

What can I say... my thought-kiln has a hole in it, so it doesn't operate at optimal temperature. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I understand many people are apprehensive about the idea of a new kickstarter when the original has yet to be deliver.

Pillars of Eternity is not being worked on by the entire studio. While other projects come to a close the staff working on them need something to work on or they don't have a job.

So it's then down to do Obsidian as a company get another publisher contract for this team or do they want as a company to become more self sufficient.

With the success of the first Kickstarter I don't blame them for thinking about a second (It's working for Double Fine).

I'll wait for the pitch video, if it intrigues me the way eternity did then its getting my money.

• Like 1

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

Hope it does well when they release the new KS.

Just like InXile did when they announced the Torment kickstarter even though Wasteland 2 wasn't close to being done, there's a lot of turnover in development studios (concept artist, writers, etc) that will finish before the full game is done and they have to start working on something else or the studios risk having to let them go.

At this point, I'm starting to think their best bet is a Steampunk RPG, ala Arcanum.  And to be honest, I would not mind seeing a Steampunk RPG built on the Creation (Skyrim) engine.  

For comparison's sake, I was not thrilled when Obsidian launched FO:NV.  I didn't buy it for a whole year, mostly because I knew they were using the FO3 engine, which I had major problems with from a technical POV.  It was buggy as hell, glitchy, lagged a whole bunch, etc.  And FO3 had some problems that I thought were not fixable -- the lameness of the companion interface, for example, or the fact that combat was ridiculously easy.

I was pretty wrong on most of that.  When I finally bought NV I was kicking myself for having waited so long.  I still didn't like the engine they were using, but it was pretty cool how they had been able to take the engine and make some pretty substantial changes to it, so that I felt like I was a playing a completely different game.  

So if Obsidian were to get their hands on the Creation engine, I would be pretty excited to see what they could produce, provided they stayed away from any boring time travel garbage.  The Creation engine is a nice deal: stable, graphically sophisticated (at least, sophisticated enough) and with a ton of assets.  I would love to experience the world of Arcanum in first person.  Sort of like Dishonored but with a little more flair, maybe?  

Edited by decado

A first-person sandbox RPG would be entirely unsuitable for a kickstarter. Budget would have to be 20-40M for that sort of thing to be worthwhile. If they do another kickstarter, they'd be foolish not to use the engine built for PoE, so whatever the genre or style, it would be an isometric, party-based RPG.

If they do do it, I really hope they'll go with a genuinely fresh setting, i.e. not pseudo-medieval Western tradfantasy, space opera, nor post-apoc; all of those are getting really threadbare, no matter what twists you put in them. Steampunk and cyberpunk are a little fresher, but not all that much. I'd hope for something genuinely new. I like this setting, for example.

• Like 4

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Spiritual successor to the Troika games.

Would be a bold move, trying to distil the great things about those games (while going one better and not creating another 'flawed gem'), into a coherent and pitch-able vision.

Not sure if it would be popular enough, but I'd back it. Steampunk. Rich turn-based combat from ToEE, depth & reactivity from Arcanum, diverse gameplay mechanics from Bloodlines. Probably too ambitious, kind of like declaring you want to make the greatest RPG ever made... on a kickstarter budget. Yeah, dammit, probably won't ever happen, but it should.

At this point, I'm starting to think their best bet is a Steampunk RPG, ala Arcanum.  And to be honest, I would not mind seeing a Steampunk RPG built on the Creation (Skyrim) engine.

Okay, I'll play the devil's advocate:

What's the fascination with Steampunk? I seems like a niche market with a relatively small but dedicated audience. Without heavy marketing, they game would have to be spectacularly good to attract gamers from outside this interest group. Otherwise, I suspect they'll be lucky just to break even.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

A first-person sandbox RPG would be entirely unsuitable for a kickstarter. Budget would have to be 20-40M for that sort of thing to be worthwhile. If they do another kickstarter, they'd be foolish not to use the engine built for PoE, so whatever the genre or style, it would be an isometric, party-based RPG.

If they do do it, I really hope they'll go with a genuinely fresh setting, i.e. not pseudo-medieval Western tradfantasy, space opera, nor post-apoc; all of those are getting really threadbare, no matter what twists you put in them. Steampunk and cyberpunk are a little fresher, but not all that much. I'd hope for something genuinely new. I like this setting, for example.

As a totally unrelated point, I'd actually be willing to pay for a D&D-based CRPG set in Eberron. Arcanepunk pulp-noir for teh win.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid
  • Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."