New Kickstarter incoming

Well, it did seem to be the focus of their interview and not a thing that could have slipped, but then again, this wouldn't be the first time a review of his gets delayed indefinitely ahahahah.

Well....I hope it won't be delayed indefinitely. My guess is that they'll do what InXile did, wait to have a gameplay video showing solid footage of the the first game they were backed for before launching a second Kickstarter.

We've seen a little bit already and I'm sure a lengthier feature isn't far behind.

Edited by Darth Trethon
  • Like 1

1zq6793.jpg

Well, it did seem to be the focus of their interview and not a thing that could have slipped, but then again, this wouldn't be the first time a review of his gets delayed indefinitely ahahahah.

I love RPS to bits and pieces, but Nathan Grayson just isn't up to par with the rest of them.  He's been improving for a while now, but he ocassionally still tries stupid/ distracting formatting.  His puns are subpar.  His articles aren't as clever as Alec's or honest as John's (or even as enthusiastic as Kara's).  I think he'll eventually get there, but he's still got a long way to go.  On the plus side, Graham Smith is probably the best newcomer I've seen in a while.

If they could get the license.

======================

I would love a doctor who rpg

That is a bad idea and will always be a bad idea. The Doctor is a distinct character with a distinct, well-established personality. It varies somewhat with regenerations, but the fundamental fact is that the Doctor is not an everyman, a blank slate or a character that allows for player agency. The only way to make a faithful, respectful video game adaptation of Doctor Who is to have a series of non-interactive cutscenes with gameplay that consists of running down the same corridor several dozen times to pad out episode runtimes.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

If they could get the license.

======================

I would love a doctor who rpg

That is a bad idea and will always be a bad idea. The Doctor is a distinct character with a distinct, well-established personality. It varies somewhat with regenerations, but the fundamental fact is that the Doctor is not an everyman, a blank slate or a character that allows for player agency. The only way to make a faithful, respectful video game adaptation of Doctor Who is to have a series of non-interactive cutscenes with gameplay that consists of running down the same corridor several dozen times to pad out episode runtimes.

Or just not play as the doctor.  You could be another player in the universe that has some interaction with the doctor such as a companion, another time lord or just a person who's life is set on adventure due to the doctor.  I think it would be difficult to meet player expectations though.

I'm done with Kickstarters for people and companies that can afford to do it themselves. KS is for people who actually need funds. And ceratinly no more without seeing a first project delivered. I love Obsidian but this doesn't sit well with me.

Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large!

I have no money, but I will borrow to pledge to another Obsidian KS.

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'm done with Kickstarters for people and companies that can afford to do it themselves. KS is for people who actually need funds. And ceratinly no more without seeing a first project delivered. I love Obsidian but this doesn't sit well with me.

And what is exactly makes you think Obsidian has millions just sitting on their bank account that they could use to produce a 2nd Kickstarter game on their own?

• Like 3

Hate the living, love the dead.

I understand the sentiment (I hope after Eternity that Obsidian will be able to self finance their independent games), but you have to understand all of the factors here. Developers don't assume as much of the financial risk in making a game, so they don't get nearly as much of the take when a game does well. Even if they do, Obsidian hasn't released a game since the last Kickstarter. The Stick of Truth was delayed. The only money that has gone into Obsidian recently has been from Kickstarter and publishers. They haven't had a product to profit on since Dungeon Siege.

I understand the sentiment (I hope after Eternity that Obsidian will be able to self finance their independent games), but you have to understand all of the factors here. Developers don't assume as much of the financial risk in making a game, so they don't get nearly as much of the take when a game does well. Even if they do, Obsidian hasn't released a game since the last Kickstarter. The Stick of Truth was delayed. The only money that has gone into Obsidian recently has been from Kickstarter and publishers. They haven't had a product to profit on since Dungeon Siege.

They do not get as much of a take. Usually their take is exactly zero dollars. Publishers keep the revenue to themselves with the exception of a maybe bonus.

@Halsy Until Obsidian releases Pillars of Eternity and it is actually a big success they CAN'T afford to do it themselves. Their burn rate is too high. Also Obsidian and its employees have been very active on Kickstarter this year pledging to a multitude of projects. Big and small. I don't think you need to take a moral stance here.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 2

Can someone provide us a link for whatever crumbs of info about this new KS project?

Ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα  (Only one thing i know, that i know nothing) - Socrates.

... after the success of the first Kickstarter, I can't think why they wouldn't want to go that route again.

Yea, I can see how that'd work for them really well, a bit more concerned of how it works for me.

Uh, isn't the benefit for you that you get more RPGs? I don't see why people are on the fence about this: Obsidian has a long track record of making a specific kind of RPG; it's not like there's a lot of ambiguity about what we're going to get with Eternity. I assume you're here because you like their games, so why wouldn't you be up for another one?

I want RPG's I like and no, I haven't played or finished or liked everything from Obsidian so far.

Once PE is released and I can see it's awesome, I'll  kickstart more games happily enough.

Mostly though, I'd prefer them to fund the next game with PE profits without a need for a kickstarter.

"Aliens" RPG. Call them "Xenos" and change some traits to avoid copyrights and give us that which SEGA killed.

Something in The Dark Tower universe.

Futurama RPG!!!! I mean, you have South Park so...

Just make sure that you wait enough time for me to save some money first, ok??? I cannot suppor any KS if Monies == 0.

... after the success of the first Kickstarter, I can't think why they wouldn't want to go that route again.

Yea, I can see how that'd work for them really well, a bit more concerned of how it works for me.

Uh, isn't the benefit for you that you get more RPGs? I don't see why people are on the fence about this: Obsidian has a long track record of making a specific kind of RPG; it's not like there's a lot of ambiguity about what we're going to get with Eternity. I assume you're here because you like their games, so why wouldn't you be up for another one?

I haven't played or finished or liked everything from Obsidian so far.

That.....

Sure is a sentence.

Welcome to everyone else. How does that stop you from getting a general feel on the type of game?

Edited by C2B

Mostly though, I'd prefer them to fund the next game with PE profits without a need for a kickstarter.

I think they said something like that they would want to use the money they make with Eternity to create more games in the Eternity world and that they would use Kickstart to create new games outside of Eternity world.

Naturally though, that requires them to make enough profit with the game to fund a 2nd game or it might turn into a huge hit and they don't have to go back to Kickstarter after Eternity.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Games have become extraordinarily expensive to make over the years.  Expecting them to be able to make a second game with no outside funding sources after just one KS game may be asking for to much.  There is always the possibility that this will be the sleeper hit of '14 and they sell more copies then Diablo III but that's doubtful (there's a reason this genre needs a KS to be made).  SO cut then some slack people I have no doubt they want to be independent but its going to take a few success to get there.

Generally speaking my initial reaction is meh.

I like open world games but its become too much of a buzz word lately.  Obsidian proved to me with New Vegas they know how to do an open world + good dialogue and story though.

I also hate the idea of episodic content.   Yes it has worked in the past for some games, but I'm the type of guy who wants to experience the whole game not sit and wait a few months for chapter 2 because I'm done with chapter 1.

There's honestly not much in there to comment on.

Edited by ArenCordial

"Ideally, he adds, he’d like to employ a setup not unlike inXile’s with Wasteland 2 and Torment. In other words, run a second Kickstarter when the first game is nearly finished so that the Eternity team can seamlessly transition over."

Exactly what I was suspecting and that's perfectly fine. When they come back to Kickstarter with their next project I'll back.

• Like 4

1zq6793.jpg