New Kickstarter incoming

Most, if not all of the designers and writers, etc, would have finished their work on Eternity by now

I think someone missed the dev-post that teammates and dialogues aren't even written all yet.

So no, definitely NOT the case for writers.

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

... after the success of the first Kickstarter, I can't think why they wouldn't want to go that route again.

Yea, I can see how that'd work for them really well, a bit more concerned of how it works for me.

Uh, isn't the benefit for you that you get more RPGs? I don't see why people are on the fence about this: Obsidian has a long track record of making a specific kind of RPG; it's not like there's a lot of ambiguity about what we're going to get with Eternity. I assume you're here because you like their games, so why wouldn't you be up for another one?

There are 14 people working on PE, if I remember correctly. There's at least a AAA-sized team that's more or less out of work, due to the soon to be released The Stick of Truth. There are dozens of employees at Obsidian who are currently doing nothing. How on earth would running another kickstarter for another game in any way impact PE?

• Like 1

... after the success of the first Kickstarter, I can't think why they wouldn't want to go that route again.

Yea, I can see how that'd work for them really well, a bit more concerned of how it works for me.

Uh, isn't the benefit for you that you get more RPGs? I don't see why people are on the fence about this: Obsidian has a long track record of making a specific kind of RPG; it's not like there's a lot of ambiguity about what we're going to get with Eternity. I assume you're here because you like their games, so why wouldn't you be up for another one?

For one, having them hint at a new KS early allows us to start putting funds aside for their next game. Also by saying this they must be fairly content with the work done so far on Pillars of Eternity that they are able to really stay independant with the rolling out of games at a regular pace.

I will be happy to fund another IP. I just wonder what they plan to reveal to us. :)

• Like 1

My concern is that not only are they going to start a new Kickstarter but they will also start new stretch goals for Pillars of Eternity.

I assume they would do something with the new stretch goals after Christmas and in the new year on their own website. Maybe Jan or Feb when employees are back from holidays? Obsidian still needs to iron out some bugs with the Backer portal. So Jan or Feb is probably a good estimate. Then start the second Kickstarter in March or April for their new game? That's two games they're looking for funds from players in a relatively short amount of time.

• Like 1

While I would like to see something completely unsual (No cyberpunk, scifi, high fantasy, or post apocalyptic), I fear that Obsidian will play it safe. I'd even bet on something similar to Fallout. The most succesful Kickstarters have been those that have appealed to old classics and not those doing something revolutionary.

INB4 Space Opera. lol.

Won't be getting anything remotely historical, it will definitely be fantasy/sci-fi or 'modern'. There aren't too many devs interested in a historical RPG unless it's got elves and **** in it.

INB4 Space Opera. lol.

Won't be getting anything remotely historical, it will definitely be fantasy/sci-fi or 'modern'. There aren't too many devs interested in a historical RPG unless it's got elves and **** in it.

Alternative history has been trendy in the sci-fi-verse of late, so that's a possibility.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I hope this time they will choose to develop something different, maybe a cyperpunk RPG, or a post apocalyptic one (they're still the creators of fallout and I think they will the best choice to create its "spiritual successor", something more "technical" and less "commercial" along the same line of POE considering the commercial turn that fallout took after finishing in bethesda's hands).

I know that starting a new KS now would seem rush, but it's the best logistic choice if they manage to keep the planning & general design team busy now that their work on POE is almost done and that POE is handed to the technical & developement group, it's probably the best move to cut costs and avoid firing some workers.

PE is my first and only Kickstarter pledge so far. While it's true that I alrready know Obsidian and that was a large factor into little me pouring money into this, I will wait until this game is released before truly embracing game pledging again.

Yeah, a little anal, but it usually pays to be on the safe side of things, especially when they involve money.

There are 14 people working on PE, if I remember correctly. There's at least a AAA-sized team that's more or less out of work, due to the soon to be released The Stick of Truth. There are dozens of employees at Obsidian who are currently doing nothing. How on earth would running another kickstarter for another game in any way impact PE?

No, they're not. They have a next-gen project going (and probably ramping up production) which most people from tsot will probably transfer to. We also know due to an interview earlier this year that Feargus is still pretty much on the safe side regarding having to sign new projects.

Thats still not going to affect PE because they can just shift or hire people. Obsidian is around 130+ people big atm.

I'll echo what a few other people have said. I worry too that they're going to "play it safe" and do yet another high fantasy, post-apoc, or some other genre title that's been done a thousand times before. I get why they would go for an iteration of a past style or theme versus doing something wholly original, because frankly that's probably where the Kickstarter money is at. But, god what I wouldn't give to see a game developer create something that captures the vibe of "weird fantasy" (think Clark Ashton Smith, Michael Moorc.ock, Lovecraft, Ralph Bakshi's "Wizards", Frank Frezetta, Jack Vance, et. al.).

Whatever they have in mind, I just hope it's playing less on the nostalgia strings and goes for something a little more original and unique; that doesn't mean novelty for novelty's sake, but I feel like there still some untrod ground that needs to be explored and I think people would get behind it.

• Like 1

Scrubs RPG.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Spiritual successor to "Stroker 64"

Note: If you want to know, look it up. But keep in mind that what you're likely to find is NSFW.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

No, they're not. They have a next-gen project going (and probably ramping up production) which most people from tsot will probably transfer to. We also know due to an interview earlier this year that Feargus is still pretty much on the safe side regarding having to sign new projects.

Thats still not going to affect PE because they can just shift or hire people. Obsidian is around 130+ people big atm.

Next gen project? I can't help but be intrigued by that...can't wait to find out what it is!!

1zq6793.jpg

Next gen project? I can't help but be intrigued by that...can't wait to find out what it is!!

We know only a few things about it. Mainly that it has been signed in December 2012 and it's most likely using Cryengine 3.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1