New Kickstarter incoming

Do we know when the interview about the new KS is going to happen? 

I believe it already happened, and I got the impression that RPS will post it today. I don't know if they'll unveil what it is exactly, though.

Edited by O.DOGG

Peace... piece... of mind

Hmm, on one hand Id like to support Obsidian but on the other, Id like to see the results of the first Kickstarter before jumping in on another.

Wonder if its another new IP.

I am in with several projects and I also would like to see a final product before I go further. Also to be honest I hoped that those kickstarter show there is a market for such games and give the companies the push they need to move forward, NOT become their sole funding method. But with so many people willing to cough up many times the standard price of a game, who can blame them. Let the gold rush continue.. Edited by Mor

I think it's like what InXile did (Wasteland 2 guys) , kickstarting Torment before Wasteland 2 is out.

When making a game there's an overlap where you have a number of people that work on the earlier process (concept, writing, etc) that is finished before the game is released. When this hits you either put those people onto other projects you have or (sadly) they also get fired in some cases.

So I think with Eternity they may be hitting tihat point now where they need to have something in the pipeline for some of the people to work on.

I think it's like what InXile did (Wasteland 2 guys) , kickstarting Torment before Wasteland 2 is out.

When making a game there's an overlap where you have a number of people that work on the earlier process (concept, writing, etc) that is finished before the game is released. When this hits you either put those people onto other projects you have or (sadly) they also get fired in some cases.

So I think with Eternity they may be hitting tihat point now where they need to have something in the pipeline for some of the people to work on.

They more or less already do. The situation between InXile and Obs isn't directly comparable since InXile had no other contract and the writers were mostly contract people who didn't work directly for InXile or even on-site.

Obsidians original plan was also not to do this. When Torment worked though it became feasible and I imagine with nobody being able to predict Eternity's success making another kickstarter seems like the wise choice to minimize risks.

I don't think it'll be something like Arcanum. They can easly create an Arcanum like with Pillars of Eternity 2, just  advancing time a bit(30-40 years?) and technology.

I'm adding Ravenloft and White Wolf to my list.

Edited by cyberarmy
  • Like 1

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

This will break my poor bank again! Well depending on their pitch at least.

I'm more of a fantasy player, but I don't mind oter genres of games either. I would love to see a spiritual successor to either Arcanum or Bloodlines, but I'm also curious about what they could be kickstarting.

considering that part of the team will have nothing to do after a certain phase of production, they may as well get to prepare a draft for the next in house IP for a next kickstarter. that means the next ks will have more to show from the start... hopefully

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

my best guess:

south park development is nearing its end finally, and obsidian doesn't have an overwhelming number of other projects that these people can work on after it is finished

so why not try another kickstarter? they might ask themselfs

it's probably exactly the same situation that double fine and inexile had been in when they launched the second kickstarter, with the first one being still right in the middle of development

Edited by lolaldanee

Oh no, I'll go broke again. :(

I don't think it's too early, it's normal to have 2-3 projects in various stages of development. Stick of Truth is right around the corner, Project Eternity Pillars of Eternity is far beyond its early stage, so it's a good moment to start working on a new game. They'll have to wait with the Kickstarter until after the holidays anyway, so it will end in February or March.

I just hope it's not typical fantasy.

Yeah, while I think Eternity is looking pretty cool, I would like to see more RPGs outside of D&D style fantasy. There was a squad-based, sci-fi RPG in development about 15 years ago called 3rd World. It got cancelled, but it looked pretty cool. Something like that, where we send our squad around doing jobs on different worlds could be pretty cool.

If they were going to do another fantasy thing (which I doubt since I imagine their fantasy focus will be on Eternity and its sequels for the near future), it would be nice to get something a bit out of the ordinary. Something similar to Spelljammer or the Barsoom novels would be a neat change.

Ultimately, what I'd really like to see would be some kind of urban fantasy. Even though I'm not a huge vampire fan, I loved Bloodlines in part because it was so cool to play an RPG set in modern day Los Angeles but with a bunch of hidden supernatural stuff going on behind the scenes. 

• Like 1

If they were going to do another fantasy thing (which I doubt since I imagine their fantasy focus will be on Eternity and its sequels for the near future), it would be nice to get something a bit out of the ordinary. Something similar to Spelljammer or the Barsoom novels would be a neat change.

Something like "Septerra Core" would be neat - the style of the setting that is.

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

my best guess:

south park development is nearing its end finally, and obsidian doesn't have an overwhelming number of other projects that these people can work on after it is finished

so why not try another kickstarter? they might ask themselfs

it's probably exactly the same situation that double fine and inexile had been in when they launched the second kickstarter, with the first one being still right in the middle of development

No its not *exactly*. Reasons already listed. It's only barely like Doublie Fine's and nothing like InXile's.

There's enough reasons even outside of that for them to do it. One very obvious is because they have no idea if PE will be successful enough to sponsor other projects. Initially Obsidian even said no to the idea till InXile showed that it worked well.

Edit: Of course I could be wrong, but with the Next-Gen game in development and most of PE's staff being old-time Obsidian employees (I doubt they'd fire Tim or Kaz after it as well) it would be a bit weird if only that was the reason.

Edited by C2B

They more or less already do. The situation between InXile and Obs isn't directly comparable since InXile had no other contract and the writers were mostly contract people who didn't work directly for InXile or even on-site.

Obsidians original plan was also not to do this. When Torment worked though it became feasible and I imagine with nobody being able to predict Eternity's success making another kickstarter seems like the wise choice to minimize risks.

While they have other contract work it doesn't mean there are open positions for all of their designers/programmers/artists on those teams.

Hate the living, love the dead.

I'm just adding my voice to the chorus of speculation, here, but I it seems strange to me that they would Kickstart a project that is reliant on the purchase of a license.  If they had the money to purchase the license (which ever one we are talking about, doesn't really matter) they wouldn't be looking to Kickstarter to get money.  I think the Torment:ToN situation was weird because Cook was this sort of indie PnP game developer with relationships and history in the video game industry, and I can't imagine there are that many other similar situations out there where licenses could be had so "easily" and with such a small amount of red tape.

With a property like Star Wars, it does not seem realistic for Obsidian to get the license rights if they are relying on Kickstarter to fund the project.  I mean, whoever is selling them the rights has a vested interest in seeing the game do well.  If you were the holder of the Star Wars license, and some company came up to you and said "Well we want to buy your license, but we can't fund the game until we get the money through Kickstarter!" would you be amenable to a deal?  I probably would not.

Anyways this is all speculation on my part.  I could be 100% wrong.

Edited by decado

I was a bit disappointed when their first Kickstarter turned out to be the standard fantasy affair, so I'm hoping this one goes in a different direction from that.  A sci-fi RPG, along the lines of Mass Effect, but with much more emphasis on the story could be amazing and I'd be equally excited for an unofficial follow up to Alpha Protocol.

I would be pretty hyped for a Star Wars game too, but yeah, as others have said, Kickstarting something like that would seem a bit silly, especially with Disney being the ones behind it now.

• Like 1

I was a bit disappointed when their first Kickstarter turned out to be the standard fantasy affair, so I'm hoping this one goes in a different direction from that.  A sci-fi RPG, along the lines of Mass Effect, but with much more emphasis on the story could be amazing and I'd be equally excited for an unofficial follow up to Alpha Protocol.

I would be pretty hyped for a Star Wars game too, but yeah, as others have said, Kickstarting something like that would seem a bit silly, especially with Disney being the ones behind it now.

Actually since the EA deal its pretty much just EA. Disney only has the rights for tablet/smarphone game atm if I recall correctly in terms of video games.

Edited by C2B