New Kickstarter incoming

I have started my offerings to dark gods for a cyberpunkish game.

Or some modern time setting.

OR DARKSUN!

cyberpunk by obsidian?

now THAT is something i would consider backing once more, sir

if they really do another kickstarter i just hope they have realistic expectations

kickstarter lost a lot of steam since etrnity and torment, there is no guarantee they'll even reach the 1.1 million they asked for PE again, even with a very good pitch

It hasn't really.  It's lost press, but the funding is just fine.  Mighty No. 9 ended two months ago with just $150k less than Project Eternity.  I would say that people might be unlikely to back a game while the studio is working on another one, but both Doublefine and InXile have had successful campaigns.  Hell, InXile hasn't produced a finished game worth a damn yet, and it still has had two successful campaigns.  Bones II, a tabletop game, also made $3.1m in the same month.

People think kickstarter is declining because they're no longer surprised by the huge success, but it's been growing fairly steadily.  

• Like 1

Timing wise, they would need to plan the budgeting for the next Kickstarted project before the current one is complete. If they wait until PoE is wrapped and shipping, they'd have a budget gap. So asking them to wait probably isn't realistic.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Hmm. I don't know what I'll do. I pledged to Eternity because I really enjoy Obsidian games and wanted to throw some of my support their way. And get my name in the credits for a videogame, even if my name is going to be one small obscure one in the middle of a crowded list.

So now that I've done that, I'm not sure how eager I'll be to give them even more of my money.

The first they sold me by being Obsidian.

The second they'll have to sell me on the concept. And 'generic fantasy' isn't going to cut it this time, I think. Though 'generic vampire' probably would cause me to open my wallet because of my undying love for Bloodlines.

Edited by WotanAnubis

Hopefully it'll hit later - I imagine they'll want to promote it a bit before launching.

That said I have yet to dislike an Obsidian game so I'd probably support a new kickstarter unless it, you know, sounded terrible or something.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Here is to hoping for Arcanum 2 or spiritual successor to Arcanum.  I would also be excited to see a cyberpunk game from Obsidian, Shadowrun was fun but too linear and Cyberpunk 2077 while it is going to be great will be a little too action oriented for me.

• Like 3

Here is to hoping for Arcanum 2 or spiritual successor to Arcanum.  I would also be excited to see a cyberpunk game from Obsidian, Shadowrun was fun but too linear and Cyberpunk 2077 while it is going to be great will be a little too action oriented for me.

Pretty much this, but I feel I will love 2077 to death. I like a good aRPG now and again, and CDPR are great IMHO.

If this is a project with MCA as the lead, and is a completely original idea... I would be equally excited as long as it isn't another fantasy IP (although I could be swayed I am sure).

Spiritual successor to Arcanum?

;(

How the hell I didn't mentioned that?

Sooo... I have to change my oryginal statement to "this and that unreleased Troika's postapo". And in case of Arcanum, not just a "spiritual successor" (yeah yeah, Activision I know) but a fully fleshed out prequel, with strong ties to the oryginal. Because honestly, how can you make a sequel after You introduced and closed the story of Kerghan. I for instance would be satisfied only by being allowed to explore the world back in the day, when he walked the surface of Aranum. Before the fall of Vendigroth. And obviously must is: meeting and doing stuff for/with him as well as other big names from the time of legends :p

But once again - only if this  would happen later, much later in 2014 (even as far as autumn), when a blue collar such as myself would secure some spare change ;) Almost everything else was already covered by other KS projects.

...spare change

Christ... I just realized that given the possibility I would go even for 250$ in such case, and that is madness (in my part of universe)  :blink:

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

Hmm, on one hand Id like to support Obsidian but on the other, Id like to see the results of the first Kickstarter before jumping in on another.Wonder if its another new IP.

"This", I believe is the expression used by you youngsters.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Arcanum?

Hope that was a suggestion and not a "Jeopardy!" what is? style question.

Because if so CLICK

jk

But I do feel sorry for those who never played it, and thus didn't had an opportunity to either love it or hate it ;)

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

Arcanum?

God no!

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Arcanum?

Hope that was a suggestion and not a "Jeopardy!" what is? style question.

Because if so CLICK

jk

But I do feel sorry for those who never played it, and thus didn't had an opportunity to either love it or hate it ;)

It's my favourite game, I have been hoping for a sequel or even reboot in some form for ages.

• Like 1

Like some others have said, I would like to see the results of this project before I fund another one.  It's easy to just go crazy funding tons of projects without actually seeing any results - time for some patience.  That being said, looks like this game is progressing.

I doubt they are trying to fund 'a ton of projects'.  They most likely just want to do something similar to what Wasteland 2 and Torment inXile did.  Look at how well they did for not having one game released, but getting funding for a second one.

Now, I would have to see the pitch for what they plan on doing, but you never know how well it could work out.  Just not so close to the holiday season.  February on would be a good time.  Better to have another project in the works that they can put whatever staff on that aren't doing anything then firing those staff personnel because they had no new project in the works.

;(

How the hell I didn't mentioned that?

I dun know but I love the avatar, that game just doesn't get enough credit.

That said I would like them to wait on any other kickstarter projects until at least march or so.  Give me some time to recover from the holidays will you?  It would also be nice to see Eternity BEFORE the new project but I know that isn't happening...

How about a game about life several decades after a nuclear holocaust, where you lead a small party soldiers in the barren terrain that is left behind.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I hope that they will extend the pledging period for long after the kickstarter period is over. Obsidian should take notes from star citizen and give people more time to gather money.

Also If pillars of ethernity will be good I will double my pledge for their next game.

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

I hope they hold off a little bit so my bank account has a chance to recover. Between the upcoming holiday and Kickstarter taking a mighty chunk out of my discretionary income in the past 4 or 5 months I'm not sure what level I can back if they launch right away.

That said, I'm intrigued to hear what they want to pitch. My hope is that they are thinking of something that isn't bog standard fantasy or sci-fi. For instance, I'd love to see a game in a "weird fantasy" setting (Clark Ashton Smith, Weird Tales, Robert Howard's Solomon Kane, etc.for inspiration) or maybe a Darklands sequel (or spiritual successor). Just something that steers away from the D&D tropes and the Tolkien-esque themes.

Edited by nikolokolus