New Kickstarter incoming

I would prefer if they at least hold off on the Kickstarter until we have recovered from the holiday season... because if it kicks off soon than it will be much harder to support than if they waited a few months. Each project should be evaluated on it's own merit, but that evaluation is impacted by the disposable income available to us, and right now that isn't very much.

• Like 6

I would prefer if they at least hold off on the Kickstarter until we have recovered from the holiday season... because if it kicks off soon than it will be much harder to support than if they waited a few months. Each project should be evaluated on it's own merit, but that evaluation is impacted by the disposable income available to us, and right now that isn't very much.

I agree.  The holiday season probably isn't a good time for launching if it's a high budget kickstarter...  well, as high as a kickstarter budget can realistically expect.  That said, it's never bad to drum up some hype for a couple of months prior to launch so that you have a good audience with wallets out of launch day. 

It's kind of neat to see them taking the same path as inXile and getting their next one going so they can get the folks coming off of this project (such as concept artists I'm sure) into a new project instead of laying them off.

Hmm, on one hand Id like to support Obsidian but on the other, Id like to see the results of the first Kickstarter before jumping in on another.

Wonder if its another new IP.

I'm definitely on this boat. Let's see what comes of this first kickstarter project before asking us to throw money at them again.

They're already "giving us the option" of paying 20 dollars for an expansion to pillars of eternity. The price for that is the same as the original game, so that is a fairly big undertaking I imagine. And now they want to start a new kickstarter thing? I'm not against backing per se, but I'd like to see what comes of what I backed to begin with before we move on to other things :)

Edited by Jinxtah

Hmm, on one hand Id like to support Obsidian but on the other, Id like to see the results of the first Kickstarter before jumping in on another.

I'm definitely on this boat. Let's see what comes of this first kickstarter project before asking us to throw money at them again.

They're already "giving us the option" of paying 20 dollars for an expansion to pillars of eternity. The price for that is the same as the original game, so that is a fairly big undertaking I imagine. And now they want to start a new kickstarter thing? I'm not against backing per se, but I'd like to see what comes of what I backed to begin with before we move on to other things :)

For the record, they allowed people to pledge for the expansion because it was included in some of the higher tiers and people asked to be able to pledge for the expansion. "Due to popular demand and for a limited time, we are offering the ability to add our first expansion pack, due out approximately six months after Project Eternity ships. Any money contributed to add-on the expansion now will be used to make the main game larger. The expansion budget is not being created by money from this Kickstarter." Source

Also I doubt they will immediately launch it. Torment took a while as well.

Indeed, I think they are just starting to build a hype, same way as InXile showed the first video from W2, before announcing that they will be launching Torment kickstarter in the future. Why not to follow successful model. Personally I think that launching kickstariter n January or February would be the best choice.

There is no way there will be a new Obsidian KS before Christmas or even shortly after Christmas.

1. Fans will have less money to spare due to the holidays.

2. Obsidian staff will be taking holidays. Successful Kickstarters are hard work and they take a lot of time and resources during the month they are active.

2. I'd assume they would want to have more information released about the production of Pillars of Enternity before they go to fans to ask for more money.

If they are indeed going to launch another Kickstarter I wouldn't expect it to be launched until very late winter or early spring.

• Like 1

Have there been m/any kickstarters that have had a significant lead in before the actual campaign started?

I'm far from the most in touch person so most kickstarters seem to appear from nowhere. The main way for my finding them is through random stumbling on random peoples blogs/tumblrs rather than media stuff, that and kicktraq I go there more to see the latest madness rather than trawling for things to back.

Edited by Azzy

IMHO, InXile's success with Torment came from a few things they did.

1). They launched the KS during the USA tax return season. (I spent 315 on Torment for that reason)

2). They KS spanned 3 or more paycheck periods for many people.

3). They built hype for a few months prior.

4). They showed a really impressive video for Wasteland 2.

If Obsidian wants to do the same then I am fine with it though. I would aim for a March/April campaign though. I am impressed enough with PEs video to fund another campaign to keep the writers/artists at work on new IPs for Obsidian.

I want obsidian to stay around, and they have had some rough times the past few years. So ensuring that they have their own IPs to keep them around is a good investment as far as I am concerned. In other words, "Take my money!"

PS. I am also excited to get original IPs from them since all their games since founding obsidian (save AP) have been licensed products.

• Like 2

I for once have total faith in Obsidian. From the work so far through time (Kotor 2, NWN2, F:NV ) and to this amazing kickstarting project (hell i am replaying BG2 right now!)  which looks amazing in all those screenshots. I like the 2D style, i like the combat, the lore, the mechanics. Yea bring more i say! RPGs i mean....if you kickstart MMOFPS or whatever, then well....yea.... :facepalm:

Ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα  (Only one thing i know, that i know nothing) - Socrates.

I won't be able to dig as deep this time no matter what it is. Wrong time of the year.

I feel you mate.

« Celui qui est consumé par la flamme de la justice ne craint ni le ciel, ni l’enfer ; il n’est qu’une arme attendant le jour de sa mort ». (Paul Murphy, l'Enclave, 1971)

Even if they are planning a new Kickstarter it will take them some time to get it up and running, and no way they are doing it during holiday season. So most likely they will launch it sometime next year when some of their PoE team are either finishing up or have finished their work on the game. Since I bet they will want at least one full team working on Kickstarter projects all the time (not counting the team working on expansion).

• Like 2

Hate the living, love the dead.

Even if they are planning a new Kickstarter it will take them some time to get it up and running, and no way they are doing it during holiday season. So most likely they will launch it sometime next year when some of their PoE team are either finishing up or have finished their work on the game. Since I bet they will want at least one full team working on Kickstarter projects all the time (not counting the team working on expansion).

Yeah, if there's one thing certain about this new kickstarter it's that it won't launch until well after the holiday season. They might be even going for pretty similar schedule as the Torment kickstarter. If I remember correctly they first started talking about it in December/January and then the actual kickstarter campaign launched in March.

Anyway personally I just hope for some kind of sci-fi setting. Post-apocalyptic, cyberpunk, space opera, etc. all fine with me!

• Like 1

I do not disagree with you, however I assume it is common for studios to have 2-3 games in development at once, in various stages... So that the 2-4 year development cycle of each game allows for a game release every year or 2.

I guess another thing I'd like to say is that I hope Obsidian won't *need* to kickstart things in the future. Maybe this next one will kind of require it since it looks like Eternity won't be released until the end of next year, but I'd like to think it will do well enough to where they won't need to seek additional funding to complete the next game. I want to see them able to make independent games on their own dime.

Edited by Wolfenbarg

I have started my offerings to dark gods for a cyberpunkish game.

Or some modern time setting.

OR DARKSUN!

cyberpunk by obsidian?

now THAT is something i would consider backing once more, sir

if they really do another kickstarter i just hope they have realistic expectations

kickstarter lost a lot of steam since etrnity and torment, there is no guarantee they'll even reach the 1.1 million they asked for PE again, even with a very good pitch

Edited by lolaldanee

Will they be partnering with Double Fine ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Will they be partnering with Double Fine ?

Double Fine for the budgeting expertise and Subutai for investor relations. But honestly, they will be fine and probably just want another IP/ game to design and build until PE2 can be built from PE's money. Can't blame them for that. Regardless of their reasoning, if it is awesome and well timed (not during the holidays) I will back it, and if it isn't I won't.