New Kickstarter incoming

Hmm, on one hand Id like to support Obsidian but on the other, Id like to see the results of the first Kickstarter before jumping in on another.

Exactly. Show us what you can do with what you already have (our Money).

But I think, now that most of the Designers have finished there work on PE. Obsidian don't want to fire there new (hopefully good) employments, so they need another Project and there first Kickstarter was a great sucess, so here you go. 

• Like 1

I think, now that most of the Designers have finished there work on PE. Obsidian don't want to fire there new (hopefully good) employments

My thoughts exactly. They're looking to retain momentum, talent and culture. 

The fact that KS rewards the creatives directly is a huge benefit for both the dev and the customer. 

• Like 1

Are you gonna throw rocks at me? What about now?

What about now?

This is exactly what InXile did.  Think about it.  At a certain stage of production on a project some of your team is no longer required, concept artists, some of the designers etc.  People roll off projects at various stages of every development.  InXile opened up their Torment kickstarter once they had reached a certain stage of their Wasteland 2 development so as not to waste their staff or have to let people with experience go, especially maybe some of the contractors they might have brought on board in the early stages.

This is what Obsidian are probably thinking now, they need to start thinking about what the guys rolling off PE will be doing...if not just being let go out of the company or sitting on their asses doing nothing (and costing money).

Another KS is not going to detract from PE, it could possibly leverage the work done so far on PE and keep quality people at the company.  I'm interested in hearing what it will be if nothing else, I have zero fear of it detracting from PE development.  

• Like 13

I won't be able to support this one, not unless a miracle happens :p

Well maybe I would rob a bank or something if it would turn out to be a resurrection of that unreleased postapo RPG from Troika.

Seriously though, I don't know nor do I care who owns the rights as this is merely a jest on my end, but given the xmas aftermatch I hope they'll wait some time with this new KS. Whatever it is.

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

Yeah that's not exactly true. Most of the people that are working on PE are long time Obsidian employees that aren't going to get fired and they have enough projects running on the side. That wasn't inxiles situation at all.

More likely they just didn't want to break the flow and its risk aversion if pe isn't as successful as hoped.

Edited by C2B

I would love it to be some firefly'esque open world S-F RPG running on Pillars of Eternity engine. But if i had to guess the new project will probably be lead by Chris Avellone (as he is not the creative lead nor the project director on Eternity), so maybe another spiritual successor to Torment but set in PoE universe/multiverse?

• Like 3

It's plans for another Kickstarter, not an upcoming Kickstarter, which means it could come in a month or in a year.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's a new setting in this engine.  Obsidian is looking to secure publisher independence and independence means IP.  

It probably will come before PE is released, and organization of their size doesn't have much tolerance for instability or uncertain funding.

Edited by anameforobsidian
  • Like 2

I have started my offerings to dark gods for a cyberpunkish game.

By "dark gods" you mean CDPR

Well, Cyberpunk 2077 will be FPS/TPS game, what I'm looking for something like PoE style game too :)

One can't have too many cyberpunk games!

• Like 1

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

I don't think it's a very good idea to have 2 kickstarters aligned with each other.

Most of us spend money to update PE pledges with the backer site... there's probably not much left for another succesfull campaign. And if there is, it might take funds away from PE.

So, doesn't really sound financially like a very sound idea to me...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I don't think it's a very good idea to have 2 kickstarters aligned with each other.

Most of us spend money to update PE pledges with the backer site... there's probably not much left for another succesfull campaign. And if there is, it might take funds away from PE.

So, doesn't really sound financially like a very sound idea to me...

It is for one reason

Torment

It worked.

Another reason I can think they're doing it is because they already have things promised like the expansion. So revenue from sales is already going there. Nobody can predict eternity's success and having security in the form of another kickstarter is certainly not a bad thing.

• Like 4