Console commands / cheat codes, and why they are a lifesaving feature

I understand desentization actually works very well with arachnophobia, but a game where you're assaulted by a swarm of giant ones who want to suck you dry is probably not an ideal way to go about it.

It'd be interesting if someone made some statistics about what percentage of players are arachnophobic to a degree where it makes it difficult for them to enjoy a game. I've understood that for some the phobia actually enhances the experience, with a similar kick people get out of horror movies. Peter Jackson is arachnophobic, and I'm pretty sure he got a major kick out of making all the spiders for the Hobbit and LotR movies, for example.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I use console to primarily deal with bugs - fixing broken plot flags, nps not showing up, characters getting stuck. RPGs nowadays are complex and some of the issues are never addrresed in patches, like Dragon Age 2, which Bioware just gave up on fixing. Debug console should definitely remain in vanilla PoE upon release.

I use console to primarily deal with bugs - fixing broken plot flags, nps not showing up, characters getting stuck. RPGs nowadays are complex and some of the issues are never addrresed in patches, like Dragon Age 2, which Bioware just gave up on fixing. Debug console should definitely remain in vanilla PoE upon release.

Agree. Complexity + mods = Super Console will (hopefully) save your life.

(even for me the responsible for the... DA2 thing is EA... More than Bioware. We may hope that the fact that no publisher is involved with PoE will help the game to be reasonably well supported after its release.)

*fingers burning because of these ****ty two letters i hate so much*

Edited by Abel

Cheating is my ultimate testing of a game's mechanics/experience.

If a game improves because of cheating then I consider it a bad game.

If a game doesn't change despite cheating then I consider it a bland game.

If my enjoyment of a game is ruined by cheating, the that I think of as a good game.

I'm hoping that PE will be a good game that won't require cheating.

No game requires cheating... That is just plain stupid.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

If my enjoyment of a game is ruined by cheating, the that I think of as a good game.

The original Gothic and several others I have tried required no-clip when a trigger didn't go off and a plot critical gate or door didn't open. DA2 is vastly improved by anything that makes combat quicker.

The original Gothic and several others I have tried required no-clip when a trigger didn't go off and a plot critical gate or door didn't open. DA2 is vastly improved by anything that makes combat quicker.

It is not cheating if the game is broken and you use a console command to advance further, as for DA2 that is the way they wanted the combat to be, nothing there requires cheating(some people even liked the combat if it's to be believed).

i just hit a major bug in icewind dale 2. after many hours of playing with no problem, now the game crashes because i have sword and shield in one weapon set and a bow or crossbow on another and it creates a conflict saying i have both a two handed weapon and shield equiped at the same time. this is the sort of thing you need console commands for. now i cant load the game

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Yeah. A real phobia is no joke, mate.

Hilarious.

But no joke.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

As somebody who typically makes several personal customizations to my games, being able to spawn items and creatures, move to different areas, and alter stats through the console for test purposes adds a considerable amount of value to a game for me, and I'd guess anybody else interested in modding.

As far as cheating for a genuine playthrough?  I would never auto-kill a creature or buff my stats or experience, but I'm not playing against other players here, so I don't care one way or another whether somebody else chooses to do it.

Edited by Crowseye

I'm into it too. I mean : CLUAconsol was awesome ... The famous ctrl+J allowing you to skip boring parts (or simply avoid the "Your group is stucked, you can't move on" ... Or resurrect Gorion ... Or fight multiple times Sarevok ... Or allowing freedom to the player. 

But, I don't want it if it means "ok backers, we will make a buggy game for you, BUT you will be able to deal with it alone" (I know it won't be the case).

and, finally, it should allow another playthrough ... crazier and funnier (but with less empathy with your character).

• Like 1

But most complex games need on site debugging/fixing :D

I've never played any rpg that was entirely playable without a console. (Skyrim, any IE game, DA)

I've never played any rpg that was entirely playable without a console. (Skyrim, any IE game, DA)

That is not cheating.

Funny, I've played lots of RPG's but don't recall ever having used a console command in an actual playthrough.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Funny, I've played lots of RPG's but don't recall ever having used a console command in an actual playthrough.

Stroke of luck?

I remember using cluaconsole years ago in BGII because some script didn't work and I couldn't complete one of the main quest. I believe it happened at the cemetery but I don't recall any more details, only the rage I felt because I made some stupid saving. Luckily I found those tips and tricks (including clua command that somehow helped me) in a magazine I used to buy back then.

Also had problems with Gothic II, but I can't really say what was that about, only that it happened on my second playthrough and that I stopped playing because of it. Probably clipping, because I used to jump all over the place (remember how proud I felt when I found that car on my own) :p

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

I have had to roll back to a previous save because of stuff like that. Sometimes on day-1 purchases I've had to start over after game-breaking bugs were patched :cough: bloodlines :cough: gothic3 :cough:, which is why I -usually- wait a while before playing nowadays.

I'm for console commands too. It's mainly because of my laziness, but sometimes when I get stuck (mainly battles), it's really too much of a hassle to get it done right, especially if I already tried it for 20 times.

And we can also have lots of fun with console commands :D

Likewise, even without using the fanpatches I used later on.

So, I'm somewhat on the 'what?' on that post as well...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Vampire the Masqurade Bloodlines needed a console command because of a game breaking bug on launch. Used the console to recover from broken quests and to fix quests in Fallout: New Vegas. Maybe a coincidence it was those games and their relation to Pillars of Eternity. I think having a console significantly helps modding and fanpatches as well.

Likewise, even without using the fanpatches I used later on.

So, I'm somewhat on the 'what?' on that post as well...

It might be due to mods. 

I never used the BG2 console until I got a new monitor and set the resolution higher (with the widescreen mod). After that, Saemon Haverian stopped appearing after the pirate horn subquest (I think his position might be hardcoded, so he was probably appearing inside of a wall or something). Apparently it is a known bug and the only workaround I've seen is to spawn a new Saemon Haverian with the console.  >_<