Release on steam/gog/other for backers?

I give up. I can't be bothered to type the same thing over and over. Please read the posts in this topic. If you're inclined to argue without reading and at least TRYING to understand what is written, then please rethink it one more time.

I'd like an answer from Obsidian on the subject though. I don't think it's too much to ask for. Just a simple "Oh yeah we forgot because of such and such but we'll make the option to choose available to backers at a later date" or something similar.

I give up. I can't be bothered to type the same thing over and over. Please read the posts in this topic. If you're inclined to argue without reading and at least TRYING to understand what is written, then please rethink it one more time.

I'd like an answer from Obsidian on the subject though. I don't think it's too much to ask for. Just a simple "Oh yeah we forgot because of such and such but we'll make the option to choose available to backers at a later date" or something similar.

I get where you are coming from. I originally didn't want to finalize my kickstarter pledge because some stuff from the kickstarter was not listed in the 500$ tier descripion. But one of the Devs made a post saying that if it was mentioned on the kickstarter page then it will be in your pledge.

Now I, personally, am less worisome of distribution platforms... I perfer GOG mostly, but I will handle whichever one the game comes out on in the end. I think they will probably do a survey and I hope they will allow us to modify our shipping details in case somebody moves.

You never know.

Edited by Technatorium

The download page will almost certainly be a page containing the redeem buttons for steam GOG or the third site along with whatever digital extras your receiving.

If you need confirmation from Obsidian the forums are probably not the best place either PM a developer or email the support.

Edited by Azzy

I intend to go with the GOG version.  I don't mind Steam in general, but I got the Infinity Engine games on GOG so that I could mod them without any trouble, and since this game is in the same vein I expect I'll want to mod it too.  It's usually pretty annoying to mod games on Steam (either the Steam client gets annoyed that files changed and doesn't want to run the game, or for a newer game like Skyrim an update gets downloaded and breaks whichever mods I had installed at the time).

Just noticed this page https://eternity.obsidian.net/buy addressing the lack of Linux DRM-free so alls good from my perspective.

That page also says gog and steam. Isn't it a bit weird we didn't get to choose on the backer portal?

I think I just realized the answer to your question -- it says that the DRM-free Linux platform is to be announced.  They probably don't want people to choose a platform until all of the platforms are decided (otherwise it would get confusing if people had to skip choosing or choose a choice they didn't really want for now until the third option becomes available).

I'd ask what's the point of having a GoG option available, when Steam gives the same option, has a much better future availability outlook, and has multitudes of options available that GoG does not.

• GoG is zero DRM, Steam still needs to hang around in the backend

Incorrect. There are lots of DRM-free games on Steam. Even Skyrim was DRM-free on launch, until Bethesda patched the exe to require Steam.

"To clarify: There isn't any Steam DRM in the ArtRage 4 build for Steam, you can run it directly from a shortcut if you create one (Steam does not need to be running). - Art Rage 4 dev

I don't think that GoG has anything to offer beyond what Steam does. In light of that, I'd ask what's the point of having a GoG option available,

Uh... what? How about DRM-free, platfor-independed self-executable single file installation that you can use when the internet goes down? Cause you see - if you got steam version: you still can't install it withouth internet connection - even if the game itself work just fine. And it's by far more free platform to customers than Steam.

Oh - and GoG actually DOES have support  that works quite well and tries to help you instead of trying to get rid of you ASAP.

Steam support tries to get rid of you? You and I have had very different Steam support experiences. With many interactions across over 300 game purchases, I've only once felt that a responder was curt and didn't go out of their way to be very friendly and exceptionally serving. And Steam support knows what they're doing, to be contrasted with, say Origin support who, although often very nice, are not technically knowledgeable and just read out of a script book.

DRM-free is entirely possible with Steam, and is the method of countless games. Backing up the folder as an archive and extracting it and running it wherever is an option with Steam, if the developer sets the game to be DRM-free.

But, don't take my word for it: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_games_on_steam/page1

And that's a very partial list of DRM-free games on Steam, which hasn't been updated in over a year.

It is a common misconception that Steam games require Steam to be running. That's simply an option which the publisher of a game (in this case Obsidian) gets to choose to make use of. Most games do on Steam, but many still don't. And if they don't, then you can back up the folder and run it from anywhere, never having Steam running for anything. If Pillars of Eternity requires Steam to be running on release, take issue with Obsidian, not Steam, because that's up to Obsidian. It's unfortunate that just because Steam offers the option to incorporate DRM, and because most developers/publishers choose to use it, that people come to assume that Steam forces DRM. Blame the publishers, it's their choice.

In light of the fact that Steam can serve the purposes of both GoG and Steam users, there's no reason to have a GoG version.

Personally, though, I can hardly tolerate playing games without the efficiency, cloud-saves, and ease-of-use increases that Steam offers., as well as things like inviting friends to game through the overlay and ability to stay in touch with people without minimizing a game. No bloat, just many great enjoyment increasing tools. Don't want to like them? Then never run Steam beyond downloading the game initially. The Steam client is a password-secured download delivery system and installer all in one, no different than loggin in on GoG's site, downloading an installer for a GoG game and running it. Except Steam has the benefit of requiring one logging in and one installer download for all games, whereas GoG requires visiting the website, logging in, and separate downloads for every single installer - a waste of effort and time and redundant HDD space consumption for the same installer *whatever-number-of-games, in my opinion.

Edited by Delicieuxz

If Steam offers cross platform play cloud saves with Linux and Windows, then I know what version I'm getting regardless of the DRM freeness.  Also, Obsidian also has a choice to make the game DRM free on steam if they like.  For example, Larian studio's Dragon Commander can be played without  opening steam.

Edited by Bill Gates' Son

The Wasteland 2 beta can also run without Steam, despite being available exclusively from Steam. :)

Yup!!! The Wasteland 2 is DRM-free, and exclusive to Steam :) :)

That's great, and I hope Obsidian aren't going to do the same!!

Oh, the cross-platform support of Steam is one of the biggest features of all, I can't believe I didn't mention that :doh!:

Cross-platform, DRM-free, cloud-saves, 2-click install, inviting friends to game through the friend's list, and built in community features, biggest and cheapest sales... Why even have an alternative, apart from to satisfy people's ignorance? Being against Steam is nothing more than counter-culture demonstration at this point, and has been for years.

(I'm all for alternatives, but I'm mirroring people's foolishness in asking others why they should care about whether there's a Steam version, and the question actually makes 100%sense when reversed, while it doesn't the other way. So let's just have a Steam version!)

Edited by Delicieuxz

I'm all for a DRM-free Steam version, but have the devs actually said anything about it? GOG was presented as the DRM-free alternative, implying that Steamworks DRM will be used. Of course Obsidian could have changed their minds, but did they say it or is it just our wishful thinking at this point?

As for Wasteland 2, keep in mind that in case of Steam exclusivity lack of DRM isn't a perfect solution: you still have to install the Steam client to download the game and this is a definite no-no for some anti-Steam people.

Anyhow... I guess the option to choose Steam or GOG will appear on the backer site closer to release date. But when inXile gave away Wasteland keys, I had two buttons on my Torment backer page: GOG key and Steam key, choose one. Couldn't Obsidian do a similar thing?

Guys, stop ****ting on my thread. This is not the place to talk about steam vs. gog as a distrubution network.

If you want to talk about those things, go elsewhere.

I am still waiting for an answer, Obsidian. Can't be that hard to find 10 seconds to hit reply and type a few words, surely. Where's your community manager at?

I am still waiting for an answer, Obsidian. Can't be that hard to find 10 seconds to hit reply and type a few words, surely. Where's your community manager at?

Probably looking at all the support tickets raised by people following directions

(hint: there's a big "contact us" button on the "tier selection" page ... also, immediately below the list of your pledges on the "Manage Pledges" page).

As for your initial enquiry:

So I read the topic about DRM free versions on gog.com for kickstarter backers. That's nice and all, but as I was linking my pledge to my reward, there was no where to select where I wanted to get the game from. I realize it's not out yet (obviously), but when I went to check on the order, I noticed there was a Download page.

Obsidian hasn't released anything official yet. So you're worrying about something that, as yet, doesn't matter. I imagine that the instructions on "how to do it" will be given out in update #7x, 8x, 9x, or 1xx -- whenever they get to the point when their distribution agreements are finalized with GOG, Steam, and whoever for Linux.

LIKELY SCENARIOS:

• You "buy" the game from Obsidian (in the same manner as you "bought" your bronze badge yesterday/tuesday).  At checkout, you choose your distributor (GOG or Steam or so far unannounced Linux Distributor), and then Obsidian will email you a confirmation with a GOG/Steam promo code. (This is probably more likely if you have multiple codes -- e.g. the $165 tier)
  • Obsidian sends out another survey, like they did for the T-shirt/Credits (and other goodies for other tiers), where you choose "I want a GOG/Steam/Linux code".  You get an email later with your GOG/Steam code.
Then, login to GOG/Steam/Linux Distributor, buy the game, apply promo code for -100% price, start download.

*P.S. My Backer Badges seem to be missing?*

Have you completed the Pledge Management process?

Oddly, I had the same issue, though it's possible that I just hadn't hit Confirm Order at the end of the process. Now, though, I have an interesting second issue, which is that I only have a Backer badge, and not a Kickstarter badge, though I backed the project through Kickstarter. Maybe it just takes time to start showing up.

Oddly, I had the same issue, though it's possible that I just hadn't hit Confirm Order at the end of the process. Now, though, I have an interesting second issue, which is that I only have a Backer badge, and not a Kickstarter badge, though I backed the project through Kickstarter. Maybe it just takes time to start showing up.

For missing KS Badges, please add your name here.

• 4 months later...

In CAPS as some people doesnt seem to be able to read, hopefully this is readable

I just wasted my time reading through alot of crap and the original question has still not been anwered, go away and flame somewhere else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Back to the original question which has been clearly stated at the top of the page and atleast 10 more times in this thread

OBSIDIAN HAVE STATED IT WILL BE RELEASED ON GOG AND STEAM (anyone stating otherwise and have continiously done that earlier go away)

OBSIDIAN HAVE STATED ALL BACKERS WILL HAVE A CHOICE OF GOG OR STEAM WHEN KS BACKING PERIOD HAS ENDED (steam vs gog vs nothing go away i dont care)

KS BACKING PERIOD HAS ENDED

Once the Kickstarter ends, every backer will receive a survey asking them what platform and distribution network they would like. We now proudly support both GOG and Steam, so if you prefer DRM-free, you can choose the GOG option, and if you like Steam's integration, including achievements, and possibly cloud saves, you'll be able to choose that as well.

If you buy additional copies as add-ons, you'll be able to tell us which one you want per key.

We do not yet have a DRM-free distribution partner for Mac, but we expect to have one available as an option too for our Mac customers.

• 10 months later...

In CAPS as some people doesnt seem to be able to read, hopefully this is readable

I just wasted my time reading through alot of crap and the original question has still not been anwered, go away and flame somewhere else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Back to the original question which has been clearly stated at the top of the page and atleast 10 more times in this thread

OBSIDIAN HAVE STATED IT WILL BE RELEASED ON GOG AND STEAM (anyone stating otherwise and have continiously done that earlier go away)

OBSIDIAN HAVE STATED ALL BACKERS WILL HAVE A CHOICE OF GOG OR STEAM WHEN KS BACKING PERIOD HAS ENDED (steam vs gog vs nothing go away i dont care)

KS BACKING PERIOD HAS ENDED

Once the Kickstarter ends, every backer will receive a survey asking them what platform and distribution network they would like. We now proudly support both GOG and Steam, so if you prefer DRM-free, you can choose the GOG option, and if you like Steam's integration, including achievements, and possibly cloud saves, you'll be able to choose that as well.

If you buy additional copies as add-ons, you'll be able to tell us which one you want per key.

We do not yet have a DRM-free distribution partner for Mac, but we expect to have one available as an option too for our Mac customers.

Yes they did not make your choice available immediately after the kickstart ended but hey you can choose right now.  I chose GOG.