Release on steam/gog/other for backers?

So I read the topic about DRM free versions on gog.com for kickstarter backers. That's nice and all, but as I was linking my pledge to my reward, there was no where to select where I wanted to get the game from. I realize it's not out yet (obviously), but when I went to check on the order, I noticed there was a Download page. I just want to make sure that the gog or steam option becomes available to me, even if it wasn't available when managing my pledge, and I'm not stuck with some digital download package from the obsidian site.

Or maybe I missed something along the way (though I did doublecheck so I doubt it). Can some Obsidian official please confirm that the gog/steam reward claiming will be available on pledges made already?

Edited by Jinxtah

I'm curious about this as well. I appreciate both Steam and GOG.com for their own perks. I like the Steam community, and I like having my games in one place. On the other hand, I like the freedom of GOG even if it's not quite as cozy, and my games feel more scattered because they're just in the GOG folder on my PC, rather than a part of a library set up. GOG's bookshelf library of my games, on its site, only really represents my library in the sense of what I can download. Not what I can just click on and play, as GOG.com's downloads act more like a traditional PC game install and play once they're downloaded.

Still, I don't see either as a negative, but a clear cut choice would be nice. I'm almost certain the original pledge I made suggested I could choose, but I understand if that's simply not available yet. It would just be nice to have confirmation that the choice is coming.

I cannot forget the follies and vices of others so soon as I ought, nor their offenses against myself.

My feelings are not puffed about with every attempt to move them. My temper would

perhaps be called resentful. My good opinion once lost is lost forever.”

- Pride and Prejudice

I'm not clear why you need it via Steam per se. I have non-steam games setup in my steam interface just fine. For example the original Baldur's Gate.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm not clear why you need to know why we need it on steam per se. Yes you're able to add non steam games, but next time you want to download and play the game, you'll have to download it elswhere and link it to steam again. All the steam functionality doesn't work either when adding a non-steam game to steam, and I want to have as few places as possible to have my digital collection at. I'm ok with either steam or gog.com, but I'm not ok with going to a developers website to get it every time. What happens in the future when obsidian goes defunct (yes yes we all hope that won't happen but it's a possibility). Even if they never do, I don't want my digital products on 50 different developer sites.

I'm not sure why I need to argue with a random user about this. If you don't personally want or care for a gog or steam release for backers then that's your thing. Starting an argument about it with people who see it as important is silly.

It's really just a matter of preference. Your preferred method of acquisition may differ, but I personally like being able to open a single dedicated game library management system and decide from there what I want to have installed and/or what to play. Given the option, I'd just like to have my copy made available in that way, and the question is only really being raised because on the Kickstarter page (in the FAQ) it's stated:

Once the Kickstarter ends, every backer will receive a survey asking them what platform and distribution network they would like. We now proudly support both GOG and Steam, so if you prefer DRM-free, you can choose the GOG option, and if you like Steam's integration, including achievements, and possibly cloud saves, you'll be able to choose that as well.

And it seemed like the order confirmation step of this site would have been a logical place to ask about distribution options. 
  • Like 4

I'm not clear why you need it via Steam per se. I have non-steam games setup in my steam interface just fine. For example the original Baldur's Gate.

Having it as a "native" Steam game has the advantage of automatic updates. Having an additional GOG copy would provide the DRM-free counterpart.

So both platforms have their advantages.

Furthermore:

From their FAQ:

Will there be a DRM-free version?
Confirmed by Kickstarter update #4, a DRM-free version is being offered in conjunction with GOG. At the end of the Kickstarter campaign, you will be able to choose between a GOG or Steam key.

So it's confusing there was no option and that there's a Download section on the managing page..

I'm not clear why you need it via Steam per se. I have non-steam games setup in my steam interface just fine. For example the original Baldur's Gate.

Integration, safe-keeping / posterity, Steam's many built-in features, game invitations, Steam reviews, Steam forums, game recommendations, Steam groups, community guides, backup option, easiest way to download/install a game, option to make it DRM-free if the developer wishes.

I don't think that GoG has anything to offer beyond what Steam does. In light of that, I'd ask what's the point of having a GoG option available, when Steam gives the same option, has a much better future availability outlook, and has multitudes of options available that GoG does not.

If people want to download it once and then back it up and copy the folder wherever and have it still run without any need for a client, they can do that with Steam. That covers GoG's contribution right there. Then for everyone who wants to use the vast complimentary user features that Steam offers for their products, and which make playing games so much more hassle-free and enjoyable, those are there for them. It's win-win with Steam.

Edited by Delicieuxz

I'd ask what's the point of having a GoG option available, when Steam gives the same option, has a much better future availability outlook, and has multitudes of options available that GoG does not.

• GoG is zero DRM, Steam still needs to hang around in the backend
  • The mystery random fits of pique Steam throws every so often requiring you to flush/re-install with fingers crossed in order to access your library.

Everything else you mentioned under Steam is primarily just added aggravation. Care not for the assinine "reviews", forums, "community"... it's hogwash. 

Give me GoG or give me DEATH! 

/My Steam lib is roughly 7 times the size of my GoG lib ;p 

• Like 1

Are you gonna throw rocks at me? What about now?

What about now?

I don't think that GoG has anything to offer beyond what Steam does. In light of that, I'd ask what's the point of having a GoG option available,

Uh... what? How about DRM-free, platfor-independed self-executable single file installation that you can use when the internet goes down? Cause you see - if you got steam version: you still can't install it withouth internet connection - even if the game itself work just fine. And it's by far more free platform to customers than Steam.

Oh - and GoG actually DOES have support  that works quite well and tries to help you instead of trying to get rid of you ASAP.

• Like 1

Given that were about a year away from release I'm not really sure I see the point of this? They stated during the campaign that you'll have the option for GOG or Steam and until they say something otherwise, why worry about it right now?

Well then I imagine you didn't read through my original post here.

I'll go ahead and link what Jaunty said as that covers it too, and just telling you to read the OP seems a bit pointless because you should have done that already, but failed to grasp why I asked I suppose.

Anyway... Take it away, Jaunty:

It's really just a matter of preference. Your preferred method of acquisition may differ, but I personally like being able to open a single dedicated game library management system and decide from there what I want to have installed and/or what to play. Given the option, I'd just like to have my copy made available in that way, and the question is only really being raised because on the Kickstarter page (in the FAQ) it's stated:

Once the Kickstarter ends, every backer will receive a survey asking them what platform and distribution network they would like. We now proudly support both GOG and Steam, so if you prefer DRM-free, you can choose the GOG option, and if you like Steam's integration, including achievements, and possibly cloud saves, you'll be able to choose that as well.

And it seemed like the order confirmation step of this site would have been a logical place to ask about distribution options. 

There is one point that should be brought up sooner rather than later with regards to distribution platform that is you need to have more than Steam and GOG as with that setup you will be failing to provide DRM-free to Linux users. This has come up with the release of the Broken Sword game they intend to add Humble to the list to fill the gap but its a tad unfair and certainly confusing that it wasn't part of their release.

Edited by Azzy

But, as you seem to be blissfully unaware, providing it via Steam or via GoG involves reaching commercial agreements with same, including PAYING them for providing the service.

However I can see your point about Obsidian becoming defunct. If only there were some sort of thriving trade in copies of digital media independent of the official sources. I for one would be as happy as Jack Sparrow.

Although I concede such a thing is a mad fantasy.

However, to be serious, what you're asking for is weeks of legal and management effort on a limited budget, and when there are many other things those same people should be doing elsewhere.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

One point to make would be that the reason the option for where to redeem the game isn't there yet is cause the deals with the companies haven't been inked. Given that steam has the whole early access thing and is almost certainly, if it hasn't been confirmed somewhere, the platform that the beta will be handled through I think folks worrying about not getting in on the largest digital games platform are splitting hairs over nothing.

My position is that I have a tier that has beta access but I most likely won't see any benefit from that as I do not have a steam account and won't be getting one.

But, as you seem to be blissfully unaware, providing it via Steam or via GoG involves reaching commercial agreements with same, including PAYING them for providing the service.

what you're asking for is weeks of legal and management effort on a limited budget, and when there are many other things those same people should be doing elsewhere.

1: I'm not blissfully unaware. They stated they would make the product available through those two distrubution networks from the start. What problem is it of mine that they have to pay xx dollars for each sale? You're outright dumb and extremely uninformed if you think not putting it on steam and/or gog will make them more money than not. The exposure a developer gets through those platforms can not be counted with money so to speak.

2: No, I wasn't saying give it to me now through either distrubution channel. I was saying they made us fill out forms and choose rewards for our backer money, but no mention of gog or steam as was promised.

I'll try this again:

Anyway... Take it away, Jaunty:

I'm wondering if the higher levels of backing ($250+) will have access to one of each?

I'm probably going with Steam for my first code but I wouldn't mind a GOG copy for ease of Modding.

*P.S. My Backer Badges seem to be missing?*

Edited by Industrial Scribe

Industrial "Cheesecake" Scribe (The slight let-down of the Obsidian Order)

Just noticed this page https://eternity.obsidian.net/buy addressing the lack of Linux DRM-free so alls good from my perspective.

As an aside, and if they aren't going with Humble unrelated, Humble purchases often come with steam codes meaning you get the game on steam and a DRM-free download from Humble themselves. I'm weird enough that I resent being given steam codes but thats me.

Uh, before we turn this into another pro-Steam vs anti-Steam ****fest, the answer is:

It's too early for that.

What he said ^

Some kickstarters do it very early. Others wait until launch.

Betas have been done through Steam from various kickstarters.

We will see how PE does it but I expect Steam for the Beta and once we get to launch we will be given the finalized distribution options.

Now is NOT the TIME to PANIC! :)

It's not too early. It would have been if they hadn't made the backer portal, and made you select rewards for your pledge but neglected to mention distribution platform. They're also selling it on their website through the two major distrubution networks, where you can pre-order now.

If those things weren't true, then yes it would be too early.

I don't see anything weird about not having the choice at this point, you seem to be in a rush to restrict yourself, what happens if you get knocked on the head and become incapable of using Steam?

Ultimately you will have a choice of Steam GOG and a third delivery platform why do you need to select it before making that selection will affect anything?

• Like 1