Also, "looks high-end for about 2003"? Guess the graphic whores entered the conversation... *sad sad sad*

I'm a sad puppy...

I intended the phrase to describe apparent performance requirements, not aesthetics. I like the look of the game a lot. I'm generally much more impressed by consistent aesthetics than special effects, actually, and think most games would do better to make the most of less demanding graphics tech rather than push for the latest and greatest in skin pore and fur technology. If that makes me a graphics whore, then so be it.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Knowing that my 6yo PC had enough power to run Witcher 2, I find it hard to believe it wouldn't be good enough for 2d heavy PoE.

...IF it had not broken down before xmas that is :p

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

Nobody here thinks, that a console port is inherently bad.

Yeah, this ain't true.

Let's not fantasize that just because this is a Kickstarter game, that everyone here is nice and decent.

Since when liking consoles is equal to being nice or decent?

I'm just saying that using the Not Me Fallacy is just that... a fallacy.

We didn't fund it for a PS4 version. And I think a good number of the backers would consider it widely inappropriate if the funding they pledged went into producing a PS4 version.

Project Eternity isn't being designed as a game that supports mouse and keyboard. It's being designed as a game that mandates mouse and keyboard. Any efforts to support other input devices are, in my opinion, to be strongly fought against. There's too many concessions required to make it function. And a PS4 game with mandatory mouse and keyboard isn't going to end up being well received by those who are looking to play from the console, anyway.

I disagree. You speak like you can predict the future and deem it so. Time are changing and have changed. All mediums have converged and all in the process of doing so. Console people understand mouse and keyboard they are not retards you know. Sure you have some who wont but fools will always be fools no matter what. What unites us all is love of videogames . If I have a choice of picking pc version of a game or console I will take console almost everytime. Its the ease of use.

also if not for consoles, videogame business would be "out of business long time ago" . PC gaming is and was 95 percent pirated. To make those massive games costs money. you could never recoup that through pc sales. PC people scoff at console games or gamers but if not for them and that side for last 20 years there would be no pc games or such a rapid advance of cheap technology. There simply would not be enough revenue returns.

I believe there is a market for it. Many people are simply put off by building pcs . They dont get it. Its sounds and looks cumbersome . they just want to plug and play. Why do you want to not to include them into this ? when a port would be super cheap and accessible to many many more. That would make more revenue for the makers as they can self publish and create even a better bigger game in the future ?

Fail to see your logic in dismissing it like that.

Dude... I really try to stay calm, really... I've read your OP thread, and i said "well, ok, why not? If PC version isn't casualised, we are just all RPGs fans". And then, i've read the thread...

You accused people to do hasardous assessments, but the one you made the most of them here, is you...

At first,  the PC video game world was a happy and pinky one 15 years ago. We had low budget games with great concepts. Some games were cool, others where bad. That's life. Then, PC games started to be brought to consoles... Consequences:

-More budget, and as for the cinema, big budget = Well graphically shaped products with NO scenario. Hollywood as something stinky, so stinky in fact that Hollywood died 20 years ago. Nowadays 80% of your so beloved high budget you highly praised in your post is about 1st Pers 3D... And that's what people who backed PE don't want to see ever in this game.

-Stuff like incredible UI that make you feel so good that you just want to crush your PC with some kind of a heavy club... Thx budget.

-Stuff like gameplay casualisation because of needed simplifications in order to games to be easier to handle with consoles pads. Thx consoles.

The truth is i don't have anything against consoles players (it's a pb of money here). But i have a huge problem with people who argue that PC players are elitists when it's better for them than just building something deeper. You have become all you have condemned in your first post. All your posts, and even more the last i quoted are just assesments.

One more assesment: what if, without the great budget you speak about we just ended to have the same budget for PC gaming today? What about nowadays RPG in this alternative world? And last thing... All people who own a PC are not robbers who made the piracy a way of life. In my case, i just do it to "test before buying". And this is only because of the way gaming industry works today: lies, false features, exploiting franchises in order to do much money with as less work as possible (Dragon Age 2?), DRM thats prevents me from just USING the game i bought, User licenses that are not user licenses (ie you bought the game, but you're not legally owner of your (their) copy), etc...

I'm ok with PE on consoles after its PC release, but not with people that bring me to post such a... thing.

Consoles aren't really the sole reason for games becoming simplified. More developers trying to appeal to a wider audience, an audience which doesn't want to bother with such complex systems. That wider audience just happens to play on consoles more due to them being easier to manage and easier to keep up to date. It's not a problem that's going to be solved either. The people who want less complicated systems are a majority and so publishers will want to appeal to them, more than the minority in most cases even if it means disappointing their old fans. That's why we have these kickstarters though, to allow the minority to fund something that the mainstream people might not like! :)

Either way I agree with the sentiment that they should focus on getting the PC version out first, and consider ports later. 

We didn't fund it for a PS4 version. And I think a good number of the backers would consider it widely inappropriate if the funding they pledged went into producing a PS4 version.

Project Eternity isn't being designed as a game that supports mouse and keyboard. It's being designed as a game that mandates mouse and keyboard. Any efforts to support other input devices are, in my opinion, to be strongly fought against. There's too many concessions required to make it function. And a PS4 game with mandatory mouse and keyboard isn't going to end up being well received by those who are looking to play from the console, anyway.

I disagree. You speak like you can predict the future and deem it so. Time are changing and have changed. All mediums have converged and all in the process of doing so. Console people understand mouse and keyboard they are not retards you know. Sure you have some who wont but fools will always be fools no matter what. What unites us all is love of videogames . If I have a choice of picking pc version of a game or console I will take console almost everytime. Its the ease of use.

also if not for consoles, videogame business would be "out of business long time ago" . PC gaming is and was 95 percent pirated. To make those massive games costs money. you could never recoup that through pc sales. PC people scoff at console games or gamers but if not for them and that side for last 20 years there would be no pc games or such a rapid advance of cheap technology. There simply would not be enough revenue returns.

I believe there is a market for it. Many people are simply put off by building pcs . They dont get it. Its sounds and looks cumbersome . they just want to plug and play. Why do you want to not to include them into this ? when a port would be super cheap and accessible to many many more. That would make more revenue for the makers as they can self publish and create even a better bigger game in the future ?

Fail to see your logic in dismissing it like that.

Dude... I really try to stay calm, really... I've read your OP thread, and i said "well, ok, why not? If PC version isn't casualised, we are just all RPGs fans". And then, i've read the thread...

You accused people to do hasardous assessments, but the one you made the most of them here, is you...

At first,  the PC video game world was a happy and pinky one 15 years ago. We had low budget games with great concepts. Some games were cool, others where bad. That's life. Then, PC games started to be brought to consoles... Consequences:

-More budget, and as for the cinema, big budget = Well graphically shaped products with NO scenario. Hollywood as something stinky, so stinky in fact that Hollywood died 20 years ago. Nowadays 80% of your so beloved high budget you highly praised in your post is about 1st Pers 3D... And that's what people who backed PE don't want to see ever in this game.

-Stuff like incredible UI that make you feel so good that you just want to crush your PC with some kind of a heavy club... Thx budget.

-Stuff like gameplay casualisation because of needed simplifications in order to games to be easier to handle with consoles pads. Thx consoles.

The truth is i don't have anything against consoles players (it's a pb of money here). But i have a huge problem with people who argue that PC players are elitists when it's better for them than just building something deeper. You have become all you have condemned in your first post. All your posts, and even more the last i quoted are just assesments.

One more assesment: what if, without the great budget you speak about we just ended to have the same budget for PC gaming today? What about nowadays RPG in this alternative world? And last thing... All people who own a PC are not robbers who made the piracy a way of life. In my case, i just do it to "test before buying". And this is only because of the way gaming industry works today: lies, false features, exploiting franchises in order to do much money with as less work as possible (Dragon Age 2?), DRM thats prevents me from just USING the game i bought, User licenses that are not user licenses (ie you bought the game, but you're not legally owner of your (their) copy), etc...

I'm ok with PE on consoles after its PC release, but not with people that bring me to post such a... thing.

Consoles aren't really the sole reason for games becoming simplified. More developers trying to appeal to a wider audience, an audience which doesn't want to bother with such complex systems. That wider audience just happens to play on consoles more due to them being easier to manage and easier to keep up to date. It's not a problem that's going to be solved either. The people who want less complicated systems are a majority and so publishers will want to appeal to them, more than the minority in most cases even if it means disappointing their old fans. That's why we have these kickstarters though, to allow the minority to fund something that the mainstream people might not like! :)

Either way I agree with the sentiment that they should focus on getting the PC version out first, and consider ports later. 

I agree with you. I would just say that multi platforms matters widened even more the audience you speak about. And to reach all this widened multi platforms audience, compromises were needed in order to make the game run on all of them (and badly on PC). Like i said "The truth is i don't have anything against consoles players (it's a pb of money here)". This is what i meant. Console players are not pieces of crap just because they play on consoles. They become pieces of crap when they speak like "Well, we are worth this port on console. No care about the PC players and problems about console UI on PC. My own little and stinky person BEFORE anyone else." This game is about PC UI since the start. This behavior is the one thing i can't bear anymore. And it's not just about Games. You can see this behavior all around wherever you walk in the street.

Plus, i must admit i'm kinda pissed when i see such things. Just because of the repetitive same words i've read for years. At first i was really more opened minded. Once more, it's a problem of money at first.

compromises is the key word here. you need to make it work with 2 sticks and 10 buttons, so what would that mean for a game like this? 

the entire gameplay is striped to the most basic stuff to couteract the pad's inability for precision, and most controls become automatic. and that beats the point of even having tactical combat in the game, or other gameplay elements that require precision controls

i have nothing against consoles and their players, but sacrificing a game's potential for pad compatibility just sucks.

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

This seems like a very successful troll thread.

Assuming it isn't, we can still assume Obsidian has zero plans currently to port Eternity to any console. Even if they did, the console players would be at a huge disadvantage, missing out on the PC post release mod scene (assuming Hell hasn't frozen over and this game gets ported to consoles WITH moddability).  I also doubt they want to spend the money for PS4/Xbox one licensing or porting, for a dramatically reduced audience.  This isn't exactly Call of Madden 2014, it's an isometric party based rpg with 2d backgrounds.

• 3 weeks later...

I am sorry if this has already been posted, if it was, I missed it. If the thread OP is advocating playing a console game your tv while sitting on the couch with a keyboard/mouse(wireless?). Why not just hook up an hdmi cable from your computers gpu to the tv and play it with steam big picture mode?

I am sorry if this has already been posted, if it was, I missed it. If the thread OP is advocating playing a console game your tv while sitting on the couch with a keyboard/mouse(wireless?). Why not just hook up an hdmi cable from your computers gpu to the tv and play it with steam big picture mode?

It has been several times. The answer is: technically it´s possible, but it doesn´t make sense. The UI of the game has to be adopted for TV usage due to the (in average) much bigger distance to the screen - otherwise you can´t see ****, I tried it with Diablo 3.

Regarding Steam Big Picture Mode: isn´t that just an adjustment for the Steam UI, or does it change also the UI ingame? That's what's important, and I doubt that many developers would like to optimize the game UI for two different environments (PC screen and TV). But if they would do that, that could be an option for satifying many.

It has been several times. The answer is: technically it´s possible, but it doesn´t make sense. The UI of the game has to be adopted for TV usage due to the (in average) much bigger distance to the screen - otherwise you can´t see ****, I tried it with Diablo 3.

Regarding Steam Big Picture Mode: isn´t that just an adjustment for the Steam UI, or does it change also the UI ingame? That's what's important, and I doubt that many developers would like to optimize the game UI for two different environments (PC screen and TV). But if they would do that, that could be an option for satifying many.

It's only for the steam ui, but technically you wouldn't need to use it anyway since you'd be using a keyboard/mouse regardless, the size of the fonts and ui would of course be a bit skewed. But I mostly meant it as a response to the OP who was saying that they should release it on the ps4 since it supports mice/keyboards, I just don't understand why you need a separate version to be able to play it on a tv while sitting on your couch when a long hdmi cable would do exactly that.

• 3 weeks later...

I also doubt they want to spend the money for PS4/Xbox one licensing or porting, for a dramatically reduced audience.  This isn't exactly Call of Madden 2014, it's an isometric party based rpg with 2d backgrounds.

Niche game or no, the console market is huge. 

I can understand the concept of this game was being created for PC, however they also said the game is going to be created for Mac.  Which I'm not sure if you own a Mac, but it's funny to me that people are OK with that but don't want this on a PS4. My Mac came to me with no mouse at all. It came with one button and it works much like your smart phone. You use one or two fingers and drag it like a mouse, and you know what? I think I like it much better than my mouse and keyboard on my PC. I can right click or left click on it even though it's only one button. Keep in context the PS4 controller is set up with the same type of button already there and there's something like 14-16 buttons on there and even more if you consider holding a shoulder button down can basically double or triple that. Other than a keyboard allowing you to type your name, I don't see it function in a manner that does anything specifically different that a game pad can't do? Honestly the last time I played an IE game I used my mouse to point on screen and click a space to walk to, or highlight my party to move them. I only used a handful of keys on my keyboard, so I genuinely wonder what is the problem with creating another outlet for the game? Especially when it has support for Unity already, and a license for PS4 I believe is $2500. That's barely tapping into the 4.1 or 4.3 million they raised. Not to mention the time to have it up and running is merely weeks.

Let them do it with the proceed from this endeavor, should it prove successful enough to port. Interface is a major reason, but only one of the reasons. Compatibility and testing are two other major reasons. Given the budget of P:E, porting costs would dramatically reduce the amount of resources available to making it a great game. If you don't believe me, believe the developers.

Get over it.

Let me preempt your rebuttal and serious response detailing why I am wrong, and why Obsidian is narrow-minded and foolish.

Get over it.

• Like 1

Even though I am a fan of all game platforms, I must agree with many people here and add my support to the PC only side of things. Pillars of Eternity should be a PC game, it should always be a PC game.

An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.

- Buddha

Sorry to be rude? FFS! No fckin console please? Console-tards please go play your fckin console and stop ruining PC exclusive games? I'm tired of 100 spells games become 4-5 spells with button mashing goodness. Please fck off!

/Ok i'm cool now. I foresee myself to get a PS4 but NO i don't want the game to be available to consoles. They hv ruined the gaming industry more than anything else.