I was wondering have you considered ps4 version of this?

The system is powerful , it's easy to port games annd it supports mouse and keyboard use natively .

Warthunder does it and also uses the same servers for pc and ps4 gamers .

Finally convergance of mediums is happening and consoles gamers and pc gamers are playing together / against each other .

I think it would be great to make it on ps4. It would widened the audiemce for the game and make more money.

• Like 1

Given that the PS4 was outdated prior to launch, this should be achievable.

Speaking as a PC backer, I would prefer that the launch not be delayed for the dysfunctional porting into walled gardens. 

Consoles are the enemy. 

• Like 9

Are you gonna throw rocks at me? What about now?

What about now?

I think it was pretty much stated that this will never be a console release.  Period.  While it seems like it would be an easy port, you have to take into consideration that the team would have to completely re-work some systems because of the different control structure used between a PC and a PS4 or Xbox One.

Maybe if they had millions more in funding it might be possible, but I still don't think this type of game would port well to a console.  There are threads about this if you search the forums.

Edited by StromIV
  • Like 2

And here I was expecting a troll thread, but the OP is entirely serious. Dissapointing.

Also, no.

• Like 7

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I was wondering have you considered ps4 version of this?

The system is powerful , it's easy to port games annd it supports mouse and keyboard use natively .

One could say it has been considered, but only in a sense, that it has been said that it will not be made for consoles.

BTW: How do you know it's easy to port to?

Finally convergance of mediums is happening and consoles gamers and pc gamers are playing together / against each other .

Time to buy pop corn :D

It would widened the audiemce for the game and make more money.

Make it more accessible - I agree. Widen the audience - I'm not buying it.

Call me narrow minded/cynic, but I just don't think that gamers playing exclusively on a TV gadget are interested in isometric, text heavy and long games.

• Like 1

200x300px-LM-c66e351c_24434-pc_gaming_ma

We are the PC gaming master race :)

• Like 2

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I wonder why there is so much negativity about a possible console version. Wouldn´t it be a good thing if as many players as possible could play this game? It´s looking great so far.

Don´t worry, I don´t want to compare PoE with Diablo 3 - but just look at the way they have handled the console version. First they released the PC version, which wasn´t compromised by any means by the console version (if it´s a bad or good game is a completely different question).

After that they thought about a possible control scheme for console version, experimented with that and decided, that this could work. Obsidian could go exactly the same route - release it for PC as planned and think about a console version afterwards.

I would really love to play Pillars of Eternity at my living room comfortably sitting on my couch. I know, I can connect my PC to my TV as well, but regarding the interface and the controls, a console version would be much more convenient for this purpose. I am sitting the whole day in front of my PC at my desk, I don´t want to do that after work to play my games (and I think many people feel the same).

• Like 2

I wonder why there is so much negativity about a possible console version. Wouldn´t it be a good thing if as many players as possible could play this game? It´s looking great so far.

Don´t worry, I don´t want to compare PoE with Diablo 3 - but just look at the way they have handled the console version. First they released the PC version, which wasn´t compromised by any means by the console version (if it´s a bad or good game is a completely different question).

After that they thought about a possible control scheme for console version, experimented with that and decided, that this could work. Obsidian could go exactly the same route - release it for PC as planned and think about a console version afterwards.

I would really love to play Pillars of Eternity at my living room comfortably sitting on my couch. I know, I can connect my PC to my TV as well, but regarding the interface and the controls, a console version would be much more convenient for this purpose. I am sitting the whole day in front of my PC at my desk, I don´t want to do that after work to play my games (and I think many people feel the same).

I'd rather they spend their time making more content than reworking an existing game for consoles.  That said, they could probably slap "mouse and keyboard required" on the store page and have it up a couple weeks after release.  Unity makes porting so easy that they included linux without a stretchgoal, and it wasn't even fully supported at the time.

Really though, I doubt this game is terribly appropriate for couchplay.  Even in the best case scenario, controlling six people in real time would be too difficult for dual-analogs.  So they would either have to reduce the number of combatants (which reduces the complexity of a 6v6 fight between two parties by 1/3), slow the game down, or make it third person (which can't be done for this game).  So they'd have to sell a game that the vast majority of the people on the system couldn't play, sell a game that's physically too hard to play well, dumb it down, or make it turn-based.  Those all involve a substantial amount of work and are still pretty bad alternatives when it comes down to it.  So a PS4 version is generally a bad idea unless they do a lazy port, but it's not right when PC gamers get a lazy port, so I can't say PS4 gamers deserve it any more.

Also, the negativity is because consoles destroyed RPGs for about eight years.  I say that without much hyperbole.  Complexity took a nose-dive as did niches for a while.  

Edited by anameforobsidian
  • Like 1

Jesus . I actually thought I can have a normal convo here not some PC elitist crap chat on the level of 5 year old child mentality. Only one person actually spoke sense here and that is @Nerix . I too like PC gaming and have a PC. But I dont like using it tbh even though its a reasonably powerful thing. Only games I play on it are the ones that have not been out on ps3 or 360. I really only bought into it and built it cause of Larian Studios games and Bioware games as they play better on PC. 

Slating consoles is foolish childish behaviour. There are some great games there which were never released on PC like Demons Souls or Dragons Dogma, and many many more etc. I dont really care if I can play in 1080p or 2660x1440 with crazy detail. If a game is great its great no matter the resolution.  I also have every system since zx spectum in my house and kept all my old consles which are connected through Xrgb Mini Freimeister to my LCD tv. I just love games but I dont like the hassle of pc gaming.

I like the quick and easy way of playing on consoles much better.  Hence I think I would much prefer to fire up my ps4 and play on it than anything else. 

and since already some games on Ps4 support keyboard and mouse why not just do it ?

Saying it costs more money is also not true. PS4 has a pc like architecture and Sony allows anything on it now. No more hassle anymore to get approval. Anybody who thinks otherwise i point you to many interviews with indie teams and specifically Warframe and Warthuner devel;opers.

Bemused that its not been considered that is all. I think Obsidian is missing a chance here. Considering uniformity of console platforms and penetration of their user base.

• Like 1

The problem with that is that because of the limitations of the medium, serious compromises would have to be made that aren't necessary for keyboard + mouse. It's not just the control scheme, but the amount input you are required to deliver playing. Plus the game would have to be ported to consoles, which would also require deals with Microsoft and Sony.

While I might be wrong, I do believe that the target audience for this type of Role-playing game is also mostly PC gamer.

Besides PC's have the lovely advantage of mod support.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Someday, maybe. It's up to Obsidian. Unlikely, but who cares.

Given that the PS4 was outdated prior to launch, this should be achievable.
The PS4 can't beat a $2000 dollar PC, but it is still a powerful machine based on the newest technology.

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

The problem with that is that because of the limitations of the medium, serious compromises would have to be made that aren't necessary for keyboard + mouse. It's not just the control scheme, but the amount input you are required to deliver playing. Plus the game would have to be ported to consoles, which would also require deals with Microsoft and Sony.

While I might be wrong, I do believe that the target audience for this type of Role-playing game is also mostly PC gamer.

Besides PC's have the lovely advantage of mod support.

Again you speak of the past. Nowadays mods are regular future of console world. Refer you again to Warframe and Warthunder where devs specifically say that Sony allows all , no problem. In fact they encouraged to mod their games and keep them organic just like PC gaming.

I really just want to fire up my console put disk in it or go to my online store press button ...boom game is loaded. done deal. I suspect many prefer this way as well. its just hassle free. I will never forget how long it took me to get Alpha Protocol working. Drove me nuts. Xbox 360 was unplayable as pad control scheme made for in game security unlocking  simply didnt work. 

Jesus . I actually thought I can have a normal convo here not some PC elitist crap chat on the level of 5 year old child mentality. Only one person actually spoke sense here and that is @Nerix . I too like PC gaming and have a PC. But I dont like using it tbh even though its a reasonably powerful thing. Only games I play on it are the ones that have not been out on ps3 or 360. I really only bought into it and built it cause of Larian Studios games and Bioware games as they play better on PC. 

Slating consoles is foolish childish behaviour. There are some great games there which were never released on PC like Demons Souls or Dragons Dogma, and many many more etc. I dont really care if I can play in 1080p or 2660x1440 with crazy detail. If a game is great its great no matter the resolution.  I also have every system since zx spectum in my house and kept all my old consles which are connected through Xrgb Mini Freimeister to my LCD tv. I just love games but I dont like the hassle of pc gaming.

I like the quick and easy way of playing on consoles much better.  Hence I think I would much prefer to fire up my ps4 and play on it than anything else. 

and since already some games on Ps4 support keyboard and mouse why not just do it ?

Saying it costs more money is also not true. PS4 has a pc like architecture and Sony allows anything on it now. No more hassle anymore to get approval. Anybody who thinks otherwise i point you to many interviews with indie teams and specifically Warframe and Warthuner devel;opers.

Bemused that its not been considered that is all. I think Obsidian is missing a chance here. Considering uniformity of console platforms and penetration of their user base.

I have nothing against console users and I think you made a reasoned and reasonable plea for console support. If the PS4 supports mouse and keyboard then maybe there wouldn't be as many hurdles to overcome with a port, but given the shoestring budget the developers are working with, there's absolutely no way a port could be achieved until after release and then there would have to be evidence that there's enough PS4 gamers interested in a keyboard and mouse driven RPG, else the GUI and control scheme would have to be completely re-worked and who knows how much time and money that would take.

My guess. If there's any "console" upcoming that this game might work on, it's the Steam Box, but even that is a tough call.

• Like 1

The dude is basically saying that we should try to play the guitar with a bass, and adds the argument that if you add two strings to your bass, you can actually play the guitar as with an actual guitar... Dude, why the **** didn't you buy a guitar to begin with...

Edited by Gorth
Language

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

I have nothing against console users and I think you made a reasoned and reasonable plea for console support. If the PS4 supports mouse and keyboard then maybe there wouldn't be as many hurdles to overcome with a port, but given the shoestring budget the developers are working with, there's absolutely no way a port could be achieved until after release and then there would have to be evidence that there's enough PS4 gamers interested in a keyboard and mouse driven RPG, else the GUI and control scheme would have to be completely re-worked and who knows how much time and money that would take.

My guess. If there's any "console" upcoming that this game might work on, it's the Steam Box, but even that is a tough call.

Well I hope it will come into fruition. times are changing and have changed I hope someone will see the light and decides that its a good idea.  I appreciate your comment and your civilised reply.