More Info On The Expansion Pack

Hi there!

When managing my pledge I get the option of buying a digital download of the expansion pack (20 dollars).

Now I'm sure this game will be great (I'm waiting on some sort of successor to BG for ages), but before I buy things I would like to know a little bit more about the things I'm buying.

Yes, I can guess there will be a few extra characters, extra spells, items and quests and maybe an expanded or new story line.

But is there some more information you guys (Obsidian) can give me?

Thanks! 

I saw this too. I too would like more information on what, exactly, I'd be putting my money into, as far as an expansion went, before I pledge on it. I pledged to Project Eternity on faith due ot Obsidian, Blade Isle and the experience they were referencing with P:E being things I had a grasp on an truly enjoyed. However, for an expansion, I'm unsure of what to expect because P:E itself I've not yet experienced. Having some grounds on which to lay the basis of my decision would be intrumental in the result of my choice of whether to back it or not.

Information is always key.

I cannot forget the follies and vices of others so soon as I ought, nor their offenses against myself.

My feelings are not puffed about with every attempt to move them. My temper would

perhaps be called resentful. My good opinion once lost is lost forever.”

- Pride and Prejudice

I'm also interested in obtaining more information about this expansion pack. Also, I'm a little worried about it's price and what it could mean, wonder if not buying it will mean a much worse game experience.

I don't think Obsidian knows what will be in the Expansion Pack as they're still working on the main game and it's a year away from being completed. I imagine it will be something like Tales of the Sword Coast (for Baldur's Gate) with extra quests, areas and all that sort of stuff. With or without the expansion, you'll still be able to finish the main game, just like you can do with Baldur's Gate

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II
  • Like 1

I'm not even sure if they know anything concrete right now.

I mean - they don't even have a beta version of PoE, so I can't imagine them already having much of a certain informations about expansion pack that they'll start working on after PoE is close to being done.

Other than that - what they can tell you withouth revealing much of PoE storyline, and how expansion pack would be nested with it? That there will be new areas, likely new city or two, some dungeons, new class or two.... just look at their older games and... that's pretty much what you might expect from PoE expansion.

It has been stated that the expansion pack will be in the style of the IE games. In other words, it'll be an expansion like Tales of the Sword Coast, or like the Morrowind expansions, or WC3 expansions. New quests, companions, items. You name it. 

I would prefer the new module style of NWN expansion packs,  perhaps even more sequel-like expansion like Throne of Bhaal for BG2 or The Awakening for Dragon Age 1.

• Like 2

Well, at 20$, it has the same price tag as the game itself (early bird). Seeing as the engine and IP will already exist, the expansion should be larger than the game itself...

But that is wishful thinking I guess.

"Ah, we are all heroes: You and Boo and I... Hamsters and rangers everywhere REJOICE"

Well, at 20$, it has the same price tag as the game itself (early bird). Seeing as the engine and IP will already exist, the expansion should be larger than the game itself...

I can't remember any XP that had more content than the base game.

I'm also interested to find out what will be in the expansion pack.  I don't mean story-wise, but a general idea like how many new quests and locations, or a rough estimate of additional gameplay, or something like that. 

I paid for the expansion pack on faith that Obsidian will make a genuine expansion, but I'm a little wary because of how so many companies handle DLC or season passes where it sounds like it will be actual game content and then it's some outfits or a challenge arena or something else I don't care about.  I'm trusting Obsidian to make an expansion that has a lot of real content in it and it would be nice to have official confirmation of that :)

I can't remember any XP that had more content than the base game.

StarCraft: BroodWar was about as long as the original StarCraft.  It's not unprecedented for an expansion pack to be very long :)

I considered the expansion as well when I upgraded my pledge. I echo the senitments shared here, in that I would like to see how my kickstarter gamble pays off first. I did, however, purchase a copy for my old man. Seeing as it was him who gave me my first taste of CRPGs from the goldbox games to Baldur's Gate, I figured I'd return the favor. It's probably only a matter of time before I up my pledge again to the expansion though. We shall see.

Yeh I expect they will know what they'll like to add in the PoE Expansion once they get the main game done.

Expansions vary with ever previous Infinity Engine based game. Icewind Dale's Heart of Winter, Baldur's Gate Tales of the Sword Coast, and Baldur's Gate 2 Throne of Bhaal all have different styles of expansion.

I wonder if they poll us for the expansion or just announce what it will be (once they are ready of course).

I'd guess that at the price of $20 we are more likely to see something between Heart of Winter and Tales of the Sword Coast.  Maybe a dozen areas altogether with a decent background story for the various locations.  Not just some random wilderness thrown in to make the world bigger.  Tales of the Sword Coast brought both Durlags Tower and Baldurans Isle (werewolf island) to the game, tied loosely together by Ulgoths Beard.  I'd pay $20 for that.

Well, I gambled and just added the expansion to my pledge..  Luckily, the dollar-euro conversion is in favor of us Europeans  :grin:

I'm pretty sure they'll have a decent size expansion, given the fact that they'll charge more than the current 20$ whenever it will be released.

"Ah, we are all heroes: You and Boo and I... Hamsters and rangers everywhere REJOICE"

• 2 weeks later...

There's been no information on the expansion pack whatsoever. If you pledge for it, you're doing so as an article of faith really. If you're not sure whether you'd like it, don't pay for it yet :)

*Looks at the K to the left*

I already did this once and for a lot more than 20 dollars.  May as well do it again.

• Like 2